PDA

View Full Version : Bam!

Jehu
12-06-2006, 07:51 PM
This (http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/index1.html)is the Pothole i hit as i was driving at about 50 MPH merging with highway traffic a few weeks ago . When i had the rear tires put on last week they told me the right rear was pretty seriously bent.I know a guy who's been truing light allloy metal wheels for about 15 years and he went as far as to say "even if it cracks he can still fix it.."

TC535i
12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I think my 95 540i/6 is almost exactly at 150,800... give or take a couple hundred miles. Random...

Jehu
12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I just ordered front and rear Brembo slotted rotors and Akibono ceramic pads all around for $400.00.Should have them by Tuesday.I suspect i may have wrecked the 750i bushings i had installed in new arms a few months ago but if the new rotors fix my braking shudder,new Denso iridium plugs will go in and that should be good till i decide on another good way to spoend more money on it.I like those Ignition Solutions (http://www.eurotuner.com/howto/99818/)plasma direct coils and may just get them with the plugs rather than wait and open it up twice. I have pleanty of available credit ....

Do you have an Alusil Block? If you do and start looking for a Chip let me know,if you remember, what you discover. I've been unable to get anyone who has what they need to make one. mark D said if i could read mine and send him the data he could but i haven't learned what i need to read my chip. Turner Motorsports said I'd have to get the data from BMW.I contacted the Dealership who did the block swap and they said if anyone has what i need its the Engineering Dept. in Munich... Sprechenzie Deutsch?

TC535i
12-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I just noticed my car is about 11 months newer than yours too... 11/95 production date on mine.

I can get the Brembo blanks and Ultimates for like $300 all around, I need to look into those Akibonos tho. All 4 rotors have a pretty fat lip tho, so I should probably change em out... whatever, still got a lot of pad left. :)

TC535i
12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
No idea on the block stuff, was gonna check last weekend but didn't get around to it.

Jehu
12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Mine had 128,800 when i bought it....six months ago.

saj3n
12-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Same thing happened to me 5 months ago, but no bent wheel, and suspension (except for the obvious) was ok.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24440&highlight=philly+pothole

TC535i
12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Same thing happened to me 5 months ago, but no bent wheel, and suspension (except for the obvious) was ok.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24440&highlight=philly+pothole
City gonna cover it? I wonder if they would blame the stiffer suspension/wheels for transferring more impact than stock and premature failure of the strut bearing?

saj3n
12-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Naw, they said they won't cover it. :( Sucks!

Jehu
12-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Naw, they said they won't cover it. :( Sucks!

I called the Highway Department in the state this was in,Massachusetts. They have a department that handles these things. they said to send in a report and they'd look into it. I know it doesn't look terribly deep but its at least four inches high and at 50 it was a savage blow. My ins deductable is $500 anyway so if i get it worked on its out of pocket until if ever i get reimbursed by the state. It is a US Interstate Highway and that storm drain is in disrepair so i can't see any basis to deny paying me to fix my wheel.

SharkmanBMW
12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
In Montreal, the ONLY way the city pays out for damage is if it is damage to your car body, NOT wheels or suspension parts!

It has to be a big ****en hole for the body to get damaged, so for 99.9% of cases, the city is off the hook!

White535Mtl
12-08-2006, 02:46 PM
In Montreal, the ONLY way the city pays out for damage is if it is damage to your car body, NOT wheels or suspension parts!

It has to be a big ****en hole for the body to get damaged, so for 99.9% of cases, the city is off the hook!

True say.
I hit a pothole on the highway at approx. 40mph, slowing down because there was a stalled car in front.
Damage: tire was cut. Yes. Cut. Bent and cracked rim.

If you could see the state of our roads here, you would suddenly feel that your roads are billard-table smooth.