PDA

View Full Version : cold weather/electric problem

schnell944
12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
My car wouldn't start yesterday morning. It was a chilly 28 F. There wasnt even enough power to turn the engine over once completely. A quick jump got it going.

This was the first real cold morning that I had started it. It has started like a champ so far until that morning. I took the battery to be tested @ sears and they said it checked out and was operating under spec. It's a diehard battery and is about 2yrs old. There was some chalky sulfer-like residue around the base of the battery when I took it out. It has started fine all day today...it was warmer (46F).

I've never had any low battery warnings, leading me to belive the alternator is fine. The starter hasn't given me any trouble either. All of this seems to be pointing to a slow drain :( I was just wondering if I laid the situation out there someone might think of somethings I should look at on the car.

I'm not sure if this could be related, but a couple days before the temp sensor went wacky, reading -535F and then went back to normal. When I went to start the car that morning, all the radio presets had changed. They didn't all go back to the 87.9 or whatever station it goes to when you disconnect the bat. Strangely, it added .2 to every preset. Like, if it was 89.7, it became 89.9. All the interior lights and such were working properly, as well.

the only work I've done to it lately was replace the plugs and O2 sensor a couple days prior.