PDA

View Full Version : best coolant Ph level-??

Russell
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
What is the appropiate/best Ph level for BMW's coolant system?. It is my understanding this is very important for BMWs. Also, how can I test at home? Did not find anyting on ph levels in archives. Tried 3 different ways.

BTW, I use BMW blue with distilled water at all times. Been two years since changed.

TIA

632 Regal
12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
you have the right mix, now you should be able to check the PH with a pool test kit... lol take it to a pool store and watch their reactions.

PS: pool store results are very innacurate, send me 250ml and I'll check it for you. I have a real test kit (165.00)

Qube
12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
you have the right mix, now you should be able to check the PH with a pool test kit... lol take it to a pool store and watch their reactions.

PS: pool store results are very innacurate, send me 250ml and I'll check it for you. I have a real test kit (165.00)

Some litmus paper won't do enough for the cause? Might as well ask him to send his car for you to test, Jeff ;)

I've got several packs of these lying around. Wonder if they go bad (must be at least 10 years old)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/images/items/PH2_rgb.jpg

Have you ever used the voltmeter test?

One lead against ground, one lead inside the radiator antifreeze.
Anything over 0.25V MUST be renewed, the additives are worn out and
solution too acidic.

Anything under 0.25... good for at least a year. I change mine at
0.20 or so, but usually something else is wrong requiring channging
the fluid anyway.

Coolant is typically kept between a pH of 8-10, and most modern coolants nowadays are kept near a pH of 8.3. Anything lower and the coolant becomes acidic, which is not good for the metals in the engine. At that point it's time to replace the coolant.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-06-2006, 04:26 PM
If it tastes 2 years old, then change it.

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
who the heck told you that ph mattered in an engine? you barely control the colligative properties of antifreeze mixture in a motor. factor in electrolysis, bad grounds, et cetera. its an impossible game. just make sure that the antifreeze is around a pH of 7 going in, and that the cold fluid in the expansion tank is above a pH of 6.2 and below 7.8 by the cheapest test method you can find.

if you are that concerned, check the ph, check the voltage, and/or replace it if its over 2 years old.

Ross
12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Which cellars best? Blue, green, yellow or orange?

bigtisas
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I just tested the green coolant in my e34 using litmus paper. It's 9. The coolant is about 2 years old. Then, I tested the red coolant in my Toyota. It's about 7. The coolant is at least 5 years old. :p I'll test the coolant in my gfriend's 06 325i tonight. I'll post the test result.

BTW, the litmus paper I got can test ph range from 6 to 9. I bought it from ebay. It is originally for urine and saliva ph test. :D

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Served at room tempurature.

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
only jerks and idiots use antifreeze. i top up my coolant resivoir with md 20/20. mad dog.....it gives you wiiiinngssss

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
only jerks and idiots use antifreeze. i top up my coolant resivoir with md 20/20. mad dog.....it gives you wiiiinngssss

Gives you wings.

MD 20/20 gives you visions.

Bill R.
12-06-2006, 06:18 PM
zerex g48 the ph is 8.1 at 50/50 mix levels. You can test with litmus strips as others have suggested. Here's a couple of documents with some ph info on them from bmw and from zerex for the g48 factory coolant

What is the appropiate/best Ph level for BMW's coolant system?. It is my understanding this is very important for BMWs. Also, how can I test at home? Did not find anyting on ph levels in archives. Tried 3 different ways.

BTW, I use BMW blue with distilled water at all times. Been two years since changed.

TIA

Russell
12-06-2006, 06:39 PM
My independent BMW shop with BMW Master Mechanics who have been in business 20 years told me it was important. They see engines with all sorts of coolant related issues and it helps them understand engine condition. They use a pH meter. Google a bit and you will see pH levels and coolant discussed a great deal.

I will prob get litmus paper and test for fun and the "thirst for semi-useless knowledge". Then I will go ahead and change the coolant as it has been in two years.

Russell
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Thank you Bill for an excellent answer. I appreciate many of the others as well :) .Wish I knew a lot more of the technical aspects of vehicles. This board has helped me understand what I can work on and what to have a 'professional' work on. As this is my daily driver, I cannot tolerate significant down time.

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
all levity aside, the fact that that chart says that the operational allowance for antifreeze is from 7-11 pH means, almost explicitly, that the pH doesn't matter. pH only goes up to 14. i'd bet that you could subtract the pKa from 7 and be safe down to a pH of 3 and not damage your cooling system (you might have some weird reactions with plastics, but you'd have the same reactions with plastics if you let the ph go up to 11). pH is a logarithmic scale, 4 is a big difference in a place where electrolysis and deposition and owners adding tap water can go on unchecked. if they were going to say that typical operational ph would be up to 9.5, i'd buy that it mattered. i would almost wager a bet that your indy uses the pH as only a small part of the puzzle, that they wouldn't dump the stuff out if it were 11, but they would dump it if they saw rust in it. specing an antifreeze with PO4 for ph buffering (american green) without PO4 buffering (euro/bmw/merc) and then
1) expecting the owner to never put tapwater in the radiator, ever
2) making a perfect 50/50 or 60/40 mixture of antifreeze in bmw's labyrinthe
cooling system
3) (and this is important) making sure that the "distilled" water is exactly 7 ph (utterly laughable)

and then using these criteria to establish a standard for operational PH in your car is unbelievable. none of the university of florida DI plants can produce exactly 7.0 ph deionized water, you have to use buffers with your experiments. they have a great deal to gain by giving their labs clean water, but they can't do it. marine fish shops can't do it, i'd bet your indy's di'er or filter setup can't do it (if they have one), and even if they fill your cars with jugs of distilled from the store, they can't provide it. the second you put anything other than ph 7.0 water into the antifreeze (which is what they used to produce the document bill posted), you vary wildly from spec. add in the nastiness from your motor, and you better believe that that ph is not representative of any kind of dealbreaking standard for antifreeze pH. saying that ph matters when the document specs a ph range of 4 is like me running a conductivity test on my used motor oil to determine fuel dilution. the result may say something, but it isn't saying much.

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 07:18 PM
russel, you probably have a great indy, that does work for a price you believe is fair. that's all well and good. it doesn't mean, however, that they can dump ph probes into antifreeze and determine if your coolant ph is going to make your headgasket die in the near future.

Russell
12-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Bet you are a student/engineer or similar. My son, a civil engineer, will go into detail on a subject until the entire family wants to hide. No offense. even so, perhaps you are totally correct. interesting real world observation.

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
i used to be an eng. student, now i'm an english major that is trying to go to lawyering school. that aside, the only way i could see an indy telling somebody that their coolant needed to be changed by ph is if it was
1) pristine looking
and
2) some ph test strips they stuck into your coolant resivoir came back with a pH of 2 or 12. then they would be doing you a service by telling you that you needed to dump it on that alone.

and ps

please don't take offense to anything i've said. its just that 4 is a lot :D

ryan roopnarine
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
yeah, and go buy some of them strips from a fish store--probably the cheapest place you can get them if you cant steal them from work. :D lets see what yours is. i might do mine, then we can all get together and make an excel graph of the numbers:p