PDA

View Full Version : why does cool air come out of my rear vents?

markus
12-06-2006, 09:33 AM
just curious. shouldnt warm out blow out?

rickm
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
The center vent - the one at the back of your console - isn't connected to the heating system. There are vents under the seats that provide heat to the back. The center one allows for fresh air in.

Fetch
12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
The center vent - the one at the back of your console - isn't connected to the heating system. There are vents under the seats that provide heat to the back. The center one allows for fresh air in.

This is correct.

The vents under the front seats (pointed towards the rear passengers' feet) put out warm air.

Robert K
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I just shut mine off the other day to keep from freezing my little girl to death in the back seat. After going to all the trouble to put the vents there in the first place, it seems idiotic to have them only blow fresh air. That makes them useful about 2-3 months out of the year here. Duh!

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

acidfire52
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Man I hear ya. I was wondering the same thing about mine.

Seems stupid that they would only let in cold air.

chiefcorey
12-06-2006, 10:16 AM

The guy who had my car previously had cell phone installed in it. To have it connected, they ripped a hold in the center console to connect the wires to it. I've taken the unit out, and now have this gapping hole at the back side of the console storage area.

I could not figure out why it was only blowing cold air, when I'd do everything to the heat to get it to blow warm.

At least now I know. Now I need to think about how I want to fix that. :(

DABLACK
12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
how do we close that vent folks?
thanks

Russell
12-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Archives has several posts on this. It is also explained in your manual.

It allows fresh air to rear passengers. Heat comes out of the foot level vents under the front seats. Just close the vents if you do not want the fresh cold/cool air. At least it works that way on my 95.

IMO, a good idea. Clever Germans.

attack eagle
12-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Archives has several posts on this. It is also explained in your manual.

It allows fresh air to rear passengers. Heat comes out of the foot level vents under the front seats. Just close the vents if you do not want the fresh cold/cool air. At least it works that way on my 95.

IMO, a good idea. Clever Germans.
IMO NOT the cleverest idea... especialyl when your kids are sitting WAY up off the floor in car seats... have to make the front of the cabin much to warm for the rear seat to get nice and toasty and put the little ones to sleep.

swenpro
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Now that temps are dropping below 20 F around here, I've closed the rear vent for the season as well :) I do, however, feel a cold draft rising from between the center console and passenger seat. Do I have a hole in my floor or is this normal??

Russell
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Interesting point. Wonder what they did on the e39 regarding combo heat/cooling vents? Also, if you have touing, you have much more area to heat. bigger issue than sedan.

Russell
12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Think i will check mine this evening. Even so, I get a very small cold air leak around the top center dash vents even with middle slider control to left and top vents closed and center wheel set to warm. Temp controls are set to about 80 degrees.

rickm
12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
thanks

The vent should have a slider (like the front center one does) that you move to open or close it.

My 7yo always opens it a tad to get some cool air in the back, if I'm driving solo I also open it just a bit.

Paul in NZ
12-07-2006, 03:14 AM
sheesh these things have the heater from hell....and with the aux pump the heat comes in fast....on a cold morning i have heat after only a couple of kilometers,then a couple of kays later its warm enough.....Still it doesnt get as cold as you US guys so i will keep quiet now.You can have the heat going to the floor,it seems to heat much better,the front air also go through to the back.You can close all the fascia,dash topand rear console vent,if its misting up hit the a/c

shogun
12-07-2006, 04:32 AM
thanks

By reading the owners manual!

I really wonder how many of you have read the owners manual and understand what the system does.
Take your time and read it.

[The vent should have a slider (like the front center one does) that you move to open or close it./QUOTE]

I has

[QUOTE]IMO NOT the cleverest idea... especialyl when your kids are sitting WAY up off the floor in car seats... have to make the front of the cabin much to warm for the rear seat to get nice and toasty and put the little ones to sleep.

Probably you have missed some lessons in school. Where does warm air go first if it comes from bottom?
Where does cold air go?

E34-520iSE
12-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I do, however, feel a cold draft rising from between the center console and passenger seat. Do I have a hole in my floor or is this normal??
I get that too, I have no idea it comes from - anybody know?

Cheers,

Shaun

Vanguard
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Good timing on this thread. I'm finishing up a heater core replacement and was wondering about the only cold air coming out that vent. I'd wondered if I'd hosed something up, but sounds like everything is okay and ready to button up.....

Rus
12-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I get that too, I have no idea it comes from - anybody know?

Cheers,

Shaun

The cold draft from the center console comes from the air duct that runs through it. It doesn't form a tight deal at the outlet and leaks cold air into the console. When you close off the vent, the air directed to the rear vent finds the leak and infiltrates your center console...hence the cold draft.

swenpro
12-07-2006, 05:57 PM
The cold draft from the center console comes from the air duct that runs through it. It doesn't form a tight deal at the outlet and leaks cold air into the console. When you close off the vent, the air directed to the rear vent finds the leak and infiltrates your center console...hence the cold draft.

thanks!