PDA

View Full Version : Okay, riddle me this...

TC535i
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Say I have a tape in the tape player... it'll say "SIDE 1" or "SIDE 2" on the dash. Radio? Show me the station, band, and if it's a preset. Shows me when I change stations too.

But my OBC doesn't read out on the dash. I push that stalk in... nothing.

Any guesses?

Kalevera
12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Improperly disconnected factory mobile phone installation?

TC535i
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Improperly disconnected factory mobile phone installation?

Could very well be. The center console has a cutout in the back, there probably used to be a phone, and there's a module on the pass side rear deck in the trunk... probably the brain.

Explain more about the proper disconnect procedure?

BMWCCA1
12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Did you try holding the turn-signal stalk pushed-in for three seconds, until the P1 program indicator comes on? Then press set-reset on the OBC to restore default check-control OBC readout. Worth a try.

TC535i
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Did you try holding the turn-signal stalk pushed-in for three seconds, until the P1 program indicator comes on? Then press set-reset on the OBC to restore default check-control OBC readout. Worth a try.

I held the signal stalk pressed in for 3 seconds, but didn't see anything? I'll try again, I saw that blurb in the manual, but didn't get it to work.

Rus
12-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Here's the procedure to fix the improper phone removal symptom:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15231&highlight=phone+connector+jumper

I removed my car phone without any problem, but mine was an aftermarket add-on as opposed to an OEM piece. HTH

TC535i
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Here's the procedure to fix the improper phone removal symptom:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15231&highlight=phone+connector+jumper

I removed my car phone without any problem, but mine was an aftermarket add-on as opposed to an OEM piece. HTH

Interesting... I guess I can see this on the unit on the rear deck? Where are these connectors they're referring to?

Rus
12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Interesting... I guess I can see this on the unit on the rear deck? Where are these connectors they're referring to?

I believe the connectors should be under the center console where they would plug into the phone unit.

TC535i
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I believe the connectors should be under the center console where they would plug into the phone unit.

Well, I found one "phone" RJ-11 connection, and 3 "flat" plugs. Jumpered the one with 3 holes and 2 wires, and of course it got glowing hot, and burned/melted an imprint into the console. F*@K!!! :(

Finally found the "right" 3-hole connector, and jumpered the outside. It gave me a "check control" error on the dash, wouldn't allow it to cycle thru anything. Looks like I'm ALMOST there, but not quite...!

Any other ideas?? It's still not working, and now on top of that I have a nasty burn mark on my nice grey console. :(

brick8
12-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Did you have to remove the console to get to the wire connectors?

TC535i
12-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Did you have to remove the console to get to the wire connectors?
I could pull them thru a hole that has been cut in the rearward end of the console, I guess to originally install the radio.

TC535i
12-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Anybody else know anything about these phone gremlins??