PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a new E34

///M-Power 3\\\
12-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I was looking for a beater E34 to drive while i work on my other cars. My friend called me to tell me that his neighbor had a BMW that was sitting for a while so i figured i would check it out. Turns out that it is an '89 525i 5 speed
with a clean body and great interior. The guy didn't speak much english but i talked him down from 800 to $500. It needs a good cleaning, a tune up and some work on the shift linkage cause theres alot of play, but it started right up, albeit with a little idle surge ;)

I can't wait because it's going to be the first 5 speed E34 i ever got. Even though it is gonna be slow it will still be fun for the winter. Oh yeah, the car looks like factory paint, but is a weird Blurple color, Looks like a solid color too, no metallics. I may have seen it once before on an E30. Any idea what it is?

stilljester
12-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Congrats!! Lets see some pics :-)

Kalevera
12-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Earl Scheib Blurple?

///M-Power 3\\\
12-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Haha no, it looks like a factory paint job. I can't find it in my color chips for '89 though, so either it's an Individual color or something, but if it is a repaint it's one of the cleanest i have seen. My best friend is a Spies-Hecker certified tech so he'll find out right away.

I plan to repaint it in the next couple weeks anyway. Got a real Racing Dynamics front bumper, M- Tech skirts and a spoiler for it. Who knows?
Probably Interlagos Blue :D

Earl Scheib Blurple?

///M-Power 3\\\
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Even the interior is a weird color. It's blueish grey, not the normal navy blue

angrypancake
12-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Even the interior is a weird color. It's blueish grey, not the normal navy blue

I want pictures! You get my text?

Paul in NZ
12-06-2006, 01:16 AM
it will say what it is by one of the shock towers under the "hood"

Russell
12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Gray market car? Color does sound like an "individual" color that was also used later on the M5. Might be Daytona Violet?? However, I think it was a metallic. Perhaps quality repaint?

attack eagle
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
If it is that color, and it is factory, please leave it as such...

///M-Power 3\\\
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
It's not Daytona, it's ugly solid blurple, but it looks factory. I haven't brought it home yet so i will check the color code and post pics when it arrives

If it is that color, and it is factory, please leave it as such...

BMWCCA1
12-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Purple with blue interior, from the factory? Have you had your eyes checked recently? ;)

///M-Power 3\\\
12-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Actually i saw it at night, maybe i'm nuts but it ran and drove fine and i only paid 500 dollars for it, i wanted a 5 speed e34 so bad that i don't car if it's slow as dog poop. I am thinking that its royalblau, maybe i just didn't see the metallics because it was dark. The only major things i noticed wrong with it are that the shifter linkage is really loose and the gas pedal is a little bit sticky, but that just makes things a little more interesting when its stuck in
5th gear and the gas is to the floor lol... j/k i intend to fix that as soon as i get it home, but the 30 mile drive will be a hair raising experience. Luckily it's slow

Purple with blue interior, from the factory? Have you had your eyes checked recently? ;)

///M-Power 3\\\
12-06-2006, 11:17 PM
and worse case scenario it's worth double what i paid for it just in 5spd swap parts, if it turns out to be a heap. Not to mention that all the body panels were straight, everything worked and the interior was clean

angrypancake
12-06-2006, 11:19 PM
and worse case scenario it's worth double what i paid for it just in 5spd swap parts, if it turns out to be a heap. Not to mention that all the body panels were straight, everything worked and the interior was clean

i got an idea.....

Alexlind123
12-06-2006, 11:40 PM

Wanna make a bet on that?

///M-Power 3\\\
12-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Wanna make a bet on that?

That everything works or that i can get a grand for the 5 spd components?

angrypancake
12-06-2006, 11:59 PM
That everything works or that i can get a grand for the 5 spd components?

that everything works

///M-Power 3\\\
12-07-2006, 12:10 AM
that everything works

Oh i know, really all i meant is that i tried the windows and they worked :D

///M-Power 3\\\
12-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Wait till you guys see this... I'm going to show you the ULTIMATE low budget DIY Buildup. Documented and photographed every step of the way over this winter. I am getting a set of bilstein sports and vogtland springs in exchange for my stock setup, i have a set of M-technic skirts laying around, this is gonna be a fun project :D

///M-Power 3\\\
12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I was looking for a beater E34 to drive while i work on my other cars. My friend called me to tell me that his neighbor had a BMW that was sitting for a while so i figured i would check it out. Turns out that it is an '89 525i 5 speed
with a clean body and great interior. The guy didn't speak much english but i talked him down from 800 to $500. It needs a good cleaning, a tune up and some work on the shift linkage cause theres alot of play, but it started right up, albeit with a little idle surge ;)

I can't wait because it's going to be the first 5 speed E34 i ever got. Even though it is gonna be slow it will still be fun for the winter. Oh yeah, the car looks like factory paint, but is a weird Blurple color, Looks like a solid color too, no metallics. I may have seen it once before on an E30. Any idea what it is?

I was over there again, looks like royalblau metallic. From what I know that was pretty rare on the E34, i've only seen it once before. I may just fix and sell it or repaint it either in "alpina" blue or interlagos... What do you guys think?

JerseySi
12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Is it this colour Blurple?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/2006-09-28003Medium.jpg
If so, it's RoyalBlauMetallic - royal blue :D
(And yes, i know it needs a good clean in the pic)

///M-Power 3\\\
12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
HOLY **** THAT'S IT!!!! Thats pretty rare right? The interior looks like a blueish grey color, not as dark blue as the one in my cirrus-blue 525i, i have def. never seen it before

Denton
12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Damn, I feel bad for that poor car. :(

JerseySi
12-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I know of perhaps a handful over here in that colour, maybe half a dozen - but then there's probably only half a dozen or so of each colour, except AlpineWeiss - by far the most popular :D
Inside my blue one looks pretty much exactly the same colour as inside my white one - certainly not different enough for me to think it's different - apart from the fact the blue one has leather, white one dont!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/2006-08-23026Medium.jpg

JerseySi
12-10-2006, 01:56 PM
for my blue one?
Yea, it's not in the best condition - I bought it for £100 initially as a spares car for mine - although I still think I might put it back on the road.. It's been sitting around for about 18 months now (apart from being towed from it's last house to mine), has taken its toll on the paintwork for definate, although with a day's work I think I can bring the paintwork back to at least 75-80% (currently it's about 40% i think, no rust or serious scratches, just showing it's had no love for a while)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/2006-08-24014Medium.jpg

BMWCCA1
12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Royal blue (#198) came with what I believe was called Indigo Blue leather in the U.S. Indigo was used up into 1990 MY and then replaced with Ultramarine Blue interior color, a much "brighter" blue, which just about signaled the end for blue interiors in this country. Not an uncommon combination, the Royal/Indigo was just not ordered that often due to the challenge posed by the Royal blue on all models where, particularly if the prospect saw if for the first time near sunset they'd say, "That's Purple!!" In fact if I ever had anyone wanting to order a BMW in Royal Blue I'd make sure they'd seen the color in person prior to placing the order (see I never stocked the color on purpose, as in ordering it built-to-order for stock). We did have it in the E28 535is, E30 (on convertibles it wasn't so bad since only about 2/3 of the car is paint in that case), 6 Series, and the E34. I didn't even really like "Lazur" or Azure Blue (#294) that came later on the 8 Series and others. We were sort of shy of BMW's dark blues after that until Orient Blue came out on the E34; great color with the gray interior. I even had people special ordering Orient on the E36 convertibles and paying thousands extra for it...only to have it become a standard-order color the next year. Yeah, our order deck in the U.S. is screwy that way. At the whim of BMW NA.

angrypancake
12-10-2006, 04:20 PM

what? no way, that color is amazing!

Qube
12-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Purple with blue interior. Oh man. If only the switches and vents... and trim were also blue but they're not so it looks kind of whack... :| Have fun though!

///M-Power 3\\\
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Purple with blue interior. Oh man. If only the switches and vents... and trim were also blue but they're not so it looks kind of whack... :| Have fun though!

I have a spare tan interior i just might put in, but the other one is in exceptional condition