PDA

View Full Version : Please convince me to keep my e34! (rant)

salansky
04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Well I was financially struck again by my 540/6 this weekend. My situation is grim, I bought this beauty 3 years ago (69K miles)with the understanding that I would be able to save a few bucks by wrenching on it myself for some of the less demanding repairs. Then I had to move to another state and am renting a house without a garage, just a gravel driveway. To make matters worse, now it failed NC state inspection due to worn upper/lower contol arms and a cracked headlight (dame dump trucks). I also need brake pads/rotors all around (expecting -indicator's been on for 2 weeks), new tires, and new shocks/springs very shortly. This is on top of the 2-O2 sensors, windsheild, and valve cover gaskets I just got fixed over the past 3 months. I'm experiencing that "what's gonna break next" feeling every time I get in and drive. I still owe $5k on her (at a miserable interest rate), she's got 121,000 miles (60K on Alusil) and am looking at about $2k just to get it legal. I can't believe the money I've spent on this car and it doesn't even pass state inspection - meanwhile trashed Tempos and Tercels pass with flying colors.....
Before this happened, I was going to keep the bimmer and buy a beater pickup for utility purposes, but now I'm considering unloading before the repairs and getting a smaller 4-door pickup -Tacoma/Canyon/SportTrac - instead. My payments would probably be the same and I would have that coveted warranty - but the wheel time would be much less inspiring.
UNLESS y'all can convince me otherwise ;)
Help me O-B<MW>-1, you're my only hope....
jack
Pinehurst NC

David Chen
04-19-2004, 10:33 AM
A good estimate of annual upkeep costs other than major repairs like engine or transmission is 5-10% of the car's original MSRP of $50K. That works out to $2.5-5K in your case so the $2K to pass inspection is reasonable, especially for an 8-9 yr old car.

My previous ride was a '92 Camry V6/5spd and in 4yr/120K miles, it only needed CV boots. The repair file on the Bimmer is overflowing two folders but I still wouldn't trade it for the reliability of the Toyota. In the end, if driving enjoyment is more important than maintenance-free, feeling-free, reliability, then that's up to the driver (or left-seat passenger).

Cheers,

David

TheGeak
04-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, the whole not having a garage thing really does suck. However, that doesn't have to be a nail in the coffin. Have any friends in the area who would let you borrow a garage (or even just a paved driveway) for a weekend?

Control arms should be pretty simple. Which headlight is out, high or low beam? Pads and Rotors will wear out on any car, it just a downside of the braking system. But still its not that bad. Tires are going to be hard, depending on what quality of rubber you want they will probably be your most expensive 'repair' but also the easiest to fix. Did the shocks/springs fail inspection? If not i wouldn't worry about them yet. If they did fail, talk to BMA i'm sure you can get something worked out.

Also, about the headlight. Does NC have something like some states do where if a truck throws a stone and you grab the trucks plate #, the state or the trucks insurance will have to pay to replace the headlight? Maybe something to look into as a way of saving a few bucks. Also, if you're not interested in that, and its a highbeam thats busted, drop me a PM, i think i have one around here somewhere.

All things considered you COULD unload her onto someone else and buy a truck. But do this first, hop in her and go for a romp around some twisty roads with the radio off and just listen to the beautiful purrr. Really pay attention to the feel of slipping her into 4th gear and pushing in the gas, notice the way she hugs those corners. Then try to imagine doing the same thing in a 4door pickup.

stick it out, i went through this VERY SAME debate with my M5 when the headgasket blew. My situtation is a little different because i have an alternate source of transportation, but i just couldn't imagine life without my E34! Don't worry, there is a way!

bahnstormer
04-19-2004, 10:56 AM
u should sell the car. your priorities now are not to have fun, but it sounds like
you're trying to make ends meet.

you need a honda civic. or a saturn. imagine the gas mileage!

ps - i'm jk, i'm trying to use reverse psychology =]

mholbrook
04-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Tires: Around $450 / 4 if you buy Falken, Ventus, or some "lower status" brand. By the way, Falken is the only tire I run or buy.

Upper control arms: $90 each with 750 bushings in Lemforder (BMA)

Lower control arms: Steel about $70 each in Lemforder

Headlight: Buy a used unit from Zionsville or Autobahn or replace the lens. Get some of those stone guards for the headlights. A lot cheaper than new headlights.

Brakes: You can change your brakes in the gravel drive way. Takes about two hours for the front if you replace rotors and pads. Parts are $160 for the front with new pads (Mintex) and new rotors (Balo). (BMA) Rears are a little cheaper. You'll also need one new sensor for each axle (one front, on rear).

These cars are not that expensive to repair. The stuff above costs the same for a Toyota or Honda for all intensive purposes.

Mike Holbrook
Spring Valley, CA

Hector
04-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Keep the car, buy a decent car cover..., don't renew tags & ins..., buy a gas efficient car like stated below, maybe get a part-time job to boost income..., may not have a life but that's temporary..., then make ends meet..., save some money..., repair bimmer a little at a time until completely fixed and enjoy the ride. A trick of life. There are others...

Hallmark
04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
They get us access to a professional garage with some use of tools and lots of professional advice. Turning a wrench with poeple who can really help can make the load bearable.

If you can get caught up on your problem areas you may find that the experience of this board can help you stay ahead on maintenance items and head off a lot of these problems that bite you at inopportune moments.

salansky
04-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm married...and you'all know what the wifey is thinking right now!!
AND, I just had a son 2 months ago, which really eats up the budget/free time, AND, I am designing and building a house on a chunk of land I bought last summer. So, to say the least, things are a bit tight for me right now. Not to mention my weekends are already completely consumed. To put it mildly, my driving excietment has really taken second fiddle to dependable transportation. Sux too, I really love it when I have my summer wheels on, its a cool evening, and there is absolutely nobody on the long windey 2-lane roads found all over these parts. I relesh those times...but I gotta get practical.

But I'm still not giving up! I'm going to make a few phone calls and get some numbers later today!

Thanks again for the great replys!

ScottyWM
04-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Keep it, eventually the costs level out. I put a good bit of $$$ into mine last year - whlole front suspension, whole cooling system,and inspection II. New tires this year ($500 michelins w/roadforce balencing - smooth as silk). Need to do brakes and rear suspension this summer. But I wouldn't trade it for some $20k toyota. But then, mines paid for...

I'm up in Apex (south of Raleigh) and could help with a lot of simpler stuff like headlights, VC gasket, brakes - been there done those (except brakes on this car). You'd just have to let me take it out on the country roads around here for a test drive! I had an estimate from an indy here for the upper lower control arms that I think was about $750. I couldn't do those myself.

There is also Brett on this board (rigmaster) that is close - I think he'll do repairs and might be cheaper than a shop for the control arms.

Drooby
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Look at it this way ,
If you sell it on this condition (not passing inpection) , you wont have enough to even buy a civic !!
If you fix it for an inspection , it will get you more money but now that its fixed .,...who wants a civic @@
remember , Bimmers do have expensive parts but they also last longer than other cars .(changing them means you wont have to do it for a long while !)

Warren N.CA
04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
with a 540i. At this time in your life, a Honda or Toyota might better serve you. You could plan to get back into Bimmers at some later date when your finances will support it.

It seems you may have failed to recognize that a $60000 BMW is likely to cost several thousand Dollars to maintain per year, even under ideal circumstances. The low preowned purchase price is only the beginning.

Well I was financially struck again by my 540/6 this weekend. My situation is grim, I bought this beauty 3 years ago (69K miles)with the understanding that I would be able to save a few bucks by wrenching on it myself for some of the less demanding repairs. Then I had to move to another state and am renting a house without a garage, just a gravel driveway. To make matters worse, now it failed NC state inspection due to worn upper/lower contol arms and a cracked headlight (dame dump trucks). I also need brake pads/rotors all around (expecting -indicator's been on for 2 weeks), new tires, and new shocks/springs very shortly. This is on top of the 2-O2 sensors, windsheild, and valve cover gaskets I just got fixed over the past 3 months. I'm experiencing that "what's gonna break next" feeling every time I get in and drive. I still owe $5k on her (at a miserable interest rate), she's got 121,000 miles (60K on Alusil) and am looking at about $2k just to get it legal. I can't believe the money I've spent on this car and it doesn't even pass state inspection - meanwhile trashed Tempos and Tercels pass with flying colors.....
Before this happened, I was going to keep the bimmer and buy a beater pickup for utility purposes, but now I'm considering unloading before the repairs and getting a smaller 4-door pickup -Tacoma/Canyon/SportTrac - instead. My payments would probably be the same and I would have that coveted warranty - but the wheel time would be much less inspiring.
UNLESS y'all can convince me otherwise ;)
Help me O-B<MW>-1, you're my only hope....
jack
Pinehurst NC

andyman32
04-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm in Raleigh too. I'm not a pro at car stuff but I have some amount of tools, ramps, jack & floor stands, and the ultimate Bimmer bible, Bentley's. Sounds like ya' have local help. But it's certainly not worth selling the E34 while it doesn't pass inspection.

My first car was an old Buick. Soft, squishy, comfy, and handled like crap. I foolishly bought a newer E39 that had HUGE payments. Drove it for a year and sold it to get out from under payments. Went back to Buick... got a brand new '02 Regal. Nah... can't replace the Bimmer handling and ride. I just bought my older 540i about a month ago and I LOVE it. I'm almost looking forward to something going wrong with it so I can work on the thing!!!

If ya' want a car that looks great and drives great, and one you can be proud of, you're really probably not going to find anything like a nice BMW 5. I know starting a family puts a lot of financial pressure on, but making the car mechanically flawless isn't all that expensive, like everyone else has been saying. I think you should keep the BMW... you can probably manage to afford it, and you'll enjoy it a lot more! ;)

I'm up in Apex (south of Raleigh) and could help with a lot of simpler stuff like headlights, VC gasket, brakes - been there done those (except brakes on this car). You'd just have to let me take it out on the country roads around here for a test drive! I had an estimate from an indy here for the upper lower control arms that I think was about $750. I couldn't do those myself.

There is also Brett on this board (rigmaster) that is close - I think he'll do repairs and might be cheaper than a shop for the control arms.

salansky
04-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey Scott,
Great to hear from a local. I know Apex/Cary well, I go there at least once a week. I've been using an Indy up there but am exploring someone else - Do you know or have you used Truitt at Shade Tree Garage in North Raleigh? I've heard good things...

tim s
04-19-2004, 02:00 PM
i owe $5k plus i just installed a $3k tranny. it now has 181,000 miles on it. my wife & i talked about selling it of due to exspense of repairs, but we held on & i did most of the repairs up to this point besides an alignment & installing the rebuilt tranny. we find it to be a great family car for everyone. it's comfortable, a nice size, & man does it move.
tim s.

Unregistered
04-19-2004, 02:45 PM
parked the bmw in the garage a year ago, bought a 98 civic, boring as hell car, but I get to drive it everyday and I have not fixed a thing on it in a year. I guess I'd rather get home and play baseball with my son than work on a car. Civic's been great, boring but great

KenB
04-19-2004, 04:19 PM
You think you have problems...

After putting $5k into my '85 325e for a new transmission, head gasket, and many other items too many to mention, I made the last payment, after 5 years. I moved from Indiana to Delaware, started a new job, etc.etc.etc...The damn transmission went out again. Can't tow it to Indiana to make the guy fix it, paid another $2k for another transmission at Aamco, you know LIFETIME WARRANTY AND ALL...OK all fixed, in debt up the wazoo. I go away for the weekend and as I'm passing the dealer where I bought the car in NJ the engine catches fire. The first thing that breaks is the hood release. It's Memorial Day and no fire engine can come because they are IN A FREAKIN' PARADE!!!! Some dick drives by and yells, "hey, *******, your car's on FIRE!"

I bought a new Honda. I hated that car SO much I left it on the dealers lot right before I filed for backruptcy. Still had the money from the fire and bought a 85 528e and kept it for 11 years. Even after the EX-wife filled the motor with water and ruined it pretty good, but that's another long, horrible story. I just bought a 525i a year ago. I love it and will never buy another Jap pice of crap no matter how poor I get.

Screw the Honda, keep the BMW!

632 Regal
04-19-2004, 05:15 PM

After putting $5k into my '85 325e for a new transmission, head gasket, and many other items too many to mention, I made the last payment, after 5 years. I moved from Indiana to Delaware, started a new job, etc.etc.etc...The damn transmission went out again. Can't tow it to Indiana to make the guy fix it, paid another $2k for another transmission at Aamco, you know LIFETIME WARRANTY AND ALL...OK all fixed, in debt up the wazoo. I go away for the weekend and as I'm passing the dealer where I bought the car in NJ the engine catches fire. The first thing that breaks is the hood release. It's Memorial Day and no fire engine can come because they are IN A FREAKIN' PARADE!!!! Some dick drives by and yells, "hey, *******, your car's on FIRE!"

I bought a new Honda. I hated that car SO much I left it on the dealers lot right before I filed for backruptcy. Still had the money from the fire and bought a 85 528e and kept it for 11 years. Even after the EX-wife filled the motor with water and ruined it pretty good, but that's another long, horrible story. I just bought a 525i a year ago. I love it and will never buy another Jap pice of crap no matter how poor I get.

AZ_Jason_S
04-19-2004, 07:04 PM
What kind of withdrawl did you make from the Karma Bank to deserve that much misery?

andyman32
04-19-2004, 07:09 PM

{:-O

ScottyWM
04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Never used them, but heard good things about them. I stay away from N. Raleigh, can't afford the brie and wine. I've used Renaissance Auto in Cary http://www.renaissanceautocare.com. A little pricey, but a very nice shop and good people. They've never steered me wrong.

A new shop just opened on 401 just north of Fuquay-Varina (kinda near me). TAO auto, they've had a honda shop for years with very good reputation. The new shop does BMWs and MBs and the like. May try them out next time I need something (knock on wood).

Feel for you man... wondering how many more payments you have left. Once you get them done, it's like a whole new world of opportunities - "hmm.. wonder what I can buy for my car now that I don't have payments??" But yeah, with a young 'un around, there's gonna be a lot of little bills that add up quickly. (mine are 12 & 15 and already have their eyes on the bimmer... in their dreams)

Luckily, I also have a piece of crap $1000 Mazda truck that never needs anything but gas. So in a pinch, and with the high price of premium, I'm driving that more and more. Might be an option for you too - get something cheap and dependable, keep and fix the 540 slowly.

Super90
04-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Either you need to find a good friend with a garage, lots of tools and E34 knowhow, or you need to sell the car. Financing a high end, high milage, used car, is a loosing proposition.

There are lots of other items to fix on that M60 powered 5er that, if you haven't done them yet, they are sure to happen soon: radiator, water pump, t-stat and housing hoses (do all these every 75k mi. because they all break then and you're getting close to that mark again, even on the new block), power steering hoses (all of them in all their tight places!!), intake gaskets, PCV plate, shift linkage, guibo, center bearing, subframe bushings, pitman arms, sway bar links, etc. etc. etc. etc.

You need to find something you can buy outright, and then spend money on repairs, but making payments and paying someone else for repairs is a bad equation.

I bought my 530im six years ago for cash and have spent over $10,000 in repairs over that time, and I do almost all my own repairs these days, so my repair costs are a fraction of what one pays a good indy.

I am going to be the bad guy here and tell you to sell it and buy something you can afford. You are working against yourself.

Even if you have to have a BMW, buy an older BMW that someone else has cared for very well and you can pay cash for it, do that, but don't finance another used car with higher milage, over a long period of time which forces you to be making payments and paying for repairs. The numbers just don't work out.

Maybe find a two year old dealer certified car, with low milage and a warranty, that a dealer or credit union will give you good financing on over three years, and by good financing, I mean a low interest rate, I'm not talking about your monthly payment (but yes, you have to be able to afford that payment amount too!), or find a good car from an individual and pay cash.

Don't take this personally, as I don't mean it that way, but I would rather see you set yourself up for a good financial future, than have you "driving" a 5er that is tapping you dry. It's a great car, but it's just a car and not worth your financial future.

Get a Toyota or a Honda for the mean time. My Land Cruiser has 150k on it and has cost me a fraction of what the 5er cost in repairs. The 1988 Acura Integra I once had is still being driven by my best friend from high school and it now has over 200k mi. on it, and cost pennies to drive versus the 5er.

I'm getting off my "financial analyst" soap box now. You can tell I spend too much time running number in Excel ! :-)

Best of luck,

R.

MO525
04-19-2004, 09:02 PM
I keep telling myself...."this car is worth it, this car is worth it....".
But the incessant repairs are getting tiresome.
It's my wife's car to boot.
If I were driving/profiling in it everyday, I KNOW I'd feel different.
The car is not BAD to work on, but I have a 1150 sq. ft. heated/cooled garage.
I cannot imagine attempting repairs WITHOUT it, much less on gravel.

If we get rid of our 525, I will not get another.
It'll be something used but much less "techno" than a BMW.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE the car and LOVE driving it BUT come on.......
It seems as though it's out of service and sitting in my garage more than it's being DRIVEN!!! :(
No exaggeration there.
I'm about one repair shy of crying "UNCLE" on this one.
There's only so much time/money you should throw at a car before you have to draw the line.....
OR just admit that you're basically doing a restoration!!! :p

Thanks for listening, folks. :)

Rigmaster
04-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I live in Raleigh, but we're in the process of moving out to the country (wife's family farm). I'm currently unemployed, would be willing to work on or help you work on your car for a few $$$'s.

Also, I can vouch for Truett or Dietrich or anyone at Shadetree Garage- they are all good folks + know what they are doing.

Let me know if I can help- I also have a couple of E34 parts cars- might have a good used headlight for you.

Thanks, Bret
Raleigh, NC

Hey Scott,
Great to hear from a local. I know Apex/Cary well, I go there at least once a week. I've been using an Indy up there but am exploring someone else - Do you know or have you used Truitt at Shade Tree Garage in North Raleigh? I've heard good things...

salansky
04-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey Bret, Thanks for the offer but time is the big problem - I have none. I'm hooked up with Truett at Shadetree and he's going to check things out.

I may be interested in a headlight if you have a drivers low-beam ellipsoid - although Truitt said he may just have a lens (lets hope so).

-jack

I live in Raleigh, but we're in the process of moving out to the country (wife's family farm). I'm currently unemployed, would be willing to work on or help you work on your car for a few $$$'s.

Also, I can vouch for Truett or Dietrich or anyone at Shadetree Garage- they are all good folks + know what they are doing.

Let me know if I can help- I also have a couple of E34 parts cars- might have a good used headlight for you.

Thanks, Bret
Raleigh, NC

byurko
04-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Scott,
I'm also from Raleigh... I've had experience w/ Truett and Deittrich at Shadetree. They are very honest and will definitely have your interests in mind. They are very active in the local BMWCCA chapter... Had a friend take his 540 there and saved him hundreds of $$$.
Also, the last function I went to at Truett's farm/garage, Deittrich gave me the grand tour... They have tons of old Bimmers. It was great!!

There's a lot of triangle guys on here.... We should get together sometime!

KenB
04-20-2004, 04:20 PM
What kind of withdrawl did you make from the Karma Bank to deserve that much misery?

That's what I'd like to know....maybe because at one time I worked for General Motors and drove a BMW??? Yeah, that must be it. ;)

It made me feel like..."If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all..." Things DO change, eventually.

I really sympathize with anyone that is going through the torment of having to decide to get rid of a car or not because of the finances. In my case I couldn't get a dime for the car so had to fix it, after pumping the $$$ to fix it, I wanted to keep it. It's a vicous circle that I'm glad finally let me off.

Jack, don't let the car run your life, it is after all, only a car. If you can find a way to off it and keep your shirt, do it. Your family is more important.

Do what your heart tells you to do, and KEEP SMILIN'!

BennyM
04-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Frankly, I am almost as big a fan of Honda as I am of BMW....for slightly different reasons of course. But, I haven't had such bad luck as you with either car.

KenB
04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Frankly, I am almost as big a fan of Honda as I am of BMW....for slightly different reasons of course. But, I haven't had such bad luck as you with either car.

I don't want to bash all Honda's, I had a Honda 750 motorcycle that I loved. After driving the BMW's though, the Honda just didn't cut it for me, so my comments are just a personal point of view. Perhaps I got a bit carried away with my rant. The fire started because someone without the proper knowledge replaced a leaking piece of fuel line with a non reinforced piece of line that couldn't handle the fuel pressure, it worked for a month but when it stopped working...kaplooey! The gas tank emptied in seconds! Two guys in a pickup truck behind me had 2 fire extinguishers and had the fire under contol within seconds, unfortunately the hood wouldn't open to extinguish it completely and the fire trucks were busy at the parade so we toasted marshmellows on it instead. :D

I have had some really bad luck but I also have had some really good things happen to me in my life. Sometimes it seems there is no in-between. I'm not complaining, just stating fact... gotta take the bad with the good.