PDA

View Full Version : Average Transmission life

gsaldutti
04-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I need some advise/information, I’m planning on buying a 92 535i with 186,000
and just want to know if there is an average life for the transmission. What is the maximum mileage I can expect to get if the trans is well maintained-thanks. GS

Hector
04-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I got a 90 m30 with 173K and the tranny is still running fine (knocking on wood.) The life of the tranny will depend on how hard/frequency/duration you upshift/downshfit for a stick and how much you want to be a sport when going from automatic to sport mode. From what I've seen posted here, I've read posts with trannies crappng out from the low to high 100s. At any rate, depending on the reponses you get here, you can always spend a little time and go through the archives to put your own database together.

Warren N.CA
04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Virtually all automatic transmissions, including BMW's have unpredictable lifespans. Most (but not all) make it to 80K without failure. After 80K, failure at any time is likely. But some last much longer.

Are you a gamblin' man? If not, select a car with a manual tranny.

I need some advise/information, I’m planning on buying a 92 535i with 186,000
and just want to know if there is an average life for the transmission. What is the maximum mileage I can expect to get if the trans is well maintained-thanks. GS

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Heh.....tranny was rebuilt by PO at around 80k miles. purchased the car at 103k...at every oil change i've given it, i've changed about 3L of transmission fluid, only costs about 4.50 for a gallon of dex III. perhaps its ignorance and misinformation on my part, but i'm hoping it can make it another 125K if I keep changing it.