PDA

View Full Version : Non-Moving Seatback

Spasso
12-05-2006, 11:38 AM
The motor runs but the seat back doesn't move forward or aft on my '98 328.
Is there a common failure to look for?
If I need parts for the seat is there a source online?

Thanks,
DJ

Spasso
12-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Okay, I know from doing a search that the plastic gears strip out. The brass ones are no longer available from Cali.
I can't be the only one with this problem.

Anybody?

Spasso
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks to Kim on the NWBMW site I found a fix and source for parts.
http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/bmw.html

http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/E36FAQ.html

Spasso
02-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks to the illustrated instructions and parts from Odometergears.com I completed my drivers seat today. I took my time, mainly so I wouldn't trash anything and because I was watching some great racing on TV at the same time. With the seat sitting on the coffee table it was really quite easy, (definite advantages to being single).

The seat back recline gear (white) was shattered and while I was in there I decided to do the seat base tilt at the same time (pink).

Special thanks to Jeff Caplan

Spasso
02-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Repacked the gear box FULL. Lots of squeeze out.

Tomorrow? Split time between the Superbowl and pulling door panels to play with a window and check on some bad sounding speakers.

Anyone know of good outlets for Harmon Kardon OEM tweets and mids?

GO COLTS!!!

jnl1964
02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Repacked the gear box FULL. Lots of squeeze out.

Tomorrow? Split time between the Superbowl and pulling door panels to play with a window and check on some bad sounding speakers.

Anyone know of good outlets for Harmon Kardon OEM tweets and mids?

GO COLTS!!!

Thanks for the pictures and the link to buy the part. I just finished changing the white gear(seatback). Of course, my motto happens to be, it's never easy. I took it apart all right and when I went to put it back together it wouldn't close properly so I checked what I could be doing wrong and two little black spacers fell out. I don't know where they came from, and that was my problem. I had to figure out where they went. Trial and error...and taking apart and putting it back together three times...but I finally got it.
I never would have tried it if it wasn't for your pictures and the link. You saved me lots of money. Thanks again

Spasso
02-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I think the little black spacers you are talking about were the ones stuck to the gear box cover in the second to last picture. They help hold the worm drives inside the gear box with the cover on. They cup the shaft ball supports.

It took some jostling and twisting of the worm gears to go completely back inside the case. Without doing so kept the gear box cover from going on all the way.

I heard a new gear box is 500.00. Gears cost 40.00

I got to watch the Superbowl the next day.

It's all good.

Glad it worked out for you