PDA

View Full Version : M60 Intake gaskets and PCV replacement

Alpinewhite
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi All,

I completed the job during Thanks giving weekend. And the car has been running better. No CEL in cold weather so far. Tranny shifts have improved. This is my third DIY. First - coolant flush. Second - Oil change and Brake fluid flush. Am I improving? I owe a lot to this board. I couldn't have done without all of you. Thanks Stargazer, Yao, Winfred, MBXB, brosher, Kalevera, Shayne(bimmerboard), 632 Regal, and all others who keep this forum alive.

Next thing I have to fix that oil leak on driver side (US). What are the possible causes of leak on left side and How to pinpoint the source of leak accurately?

Thanks
Arun

winfred
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
left side oil can be various common power steering leaks or engine oil lines, theres a dumb ass set up where the oil going to the filter goes from the block through the motor mount bracket, pair of o-rings there, and a pair of flexible lines with o-rings on either end going from the mount to the oil filter housing, any of which can leak

632 Regal
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
god I hoped not to read this sort of stuff. How far are you away again?

left side oil can be various common power steering leaks or engine oil lines, theres a dumb ass set up where the oil going to the filter goes from the block through the motor mount bracket, pair of o-rings there, and a pair of flexible lines with o-rings on either end going from the mount to the oil filter housing, any of which can leak

bbig119
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I echo that. I'd be up ****'s creek ten times over if it wasn't for this board. No way I could afford this car if I took it to the shop for all these issue/repairs. Thank you.

On that note, I ordered intake gaskets and PVC plate today... I hope it solves my problem. The car isn't drivable right now. I'm really hoping that I'm able to drive it during the warmer midday sun to get it back to my parents house to stash it until I can do the repair.

winfred
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
:D

god I hoped not to read this sort of stuff. How far are you away again?

Alpinewhite
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
On that note, I ordered intake gaskets and PVC plate today... I hope it solves my problem. The car isn't drivable right now. I'm really hoping that I'm able to drive it during the warmer midday sun to get it back to my parents house to stash it until I can do the repair.
Moment you take the intake manifold off, see if there are traces of oil on the bottom side of it. Then you know PCV is defenitely bad.

Challenges I faced during this job

1. There is a tubing (plastic) coming from brake booster towards throttle body. This tubing is connected to TB by a few inches of rubber hose. This damn thing was so hard and stuck to the plastic. Try removing it from the TB side thats how I was able to do it.

2. It is next to impossible to remove fuel lines from the intake manifold. Remove them from the other end.

3. Before you lift the injector harness up. Make sure you remove the wire clips for all injector connectors. Use picks. Otherwise those wire clips are going to crack the plastic caps.

4. When it is time to pull the manifold make sure the vent pipe connected to PCV is removed. Otherwise you might bend it (its very very thin).

5. It was much easier to work with the hood off.

Good luck

Arun

632 Regal
12-05-2006, 04:54 PM
did you order the gasket for the front plate too? If not you need to pull the intake to get that one off.

I echo that. I'd be up ****'s creek ten times over if it wasn't for this board. No way I could afford this car if I took it to the shop for all these issue/repairs. Thank you.