PDA

View Full Version : White fumes in exhaust during cold weather

Alpinewhite
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi All,

How long do you get white fumes in the exhaust after a cold start. Especially M60s; chime in.

Thanks
Arun

Derek A.
12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Until spring time...

Alpinewhite
12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Until spring time...

LOL. Sorry, I meant how long on a single drive. I think mine takes more than 3 miles of stop and go traffic.

Thanks
Arun

Jehu
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I watched mine idle this afternoon.Temps were in the high 30's low 40's F.Engine hot, saw a faint but fairly consistent exhaust vapor cloud . Didn't really look like smoke just like condensing moist heated air,like your breath. Didn't linger in the air, just disappeared within a foot of the tailpipe.

Fetch
12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi All,

How long do you get white fumes in the exhaust after a cold start. Especially M60s; chime in.

Thanks
Arun

You're good to go man

Alpinewhite
12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I watched mine idle this afternoon.Temps were in the high 30's low 40's F.Engine hot, saw a faint but fairly consistent exhaust vapor cloud . Didn't really look like smoke just like condensing moist heated air,like your breath. Didn't linger in the air, just disappeared within a foot of the tailpipe.

Exactly thats how mine looks too. I feared the worst. No coolant smell in the exhaust though.

Thanks
Arun

Jehu
12-04-2006, 08:56 PM
These litte freak outs can really take their toll on the driver. Today i had the oil cover off and forgot to tighten it all the way.Before my next stop i had it up over 110MPH and shortly thereafter began smelling burning oil. I fuuuuureaked out when i opened the hood and saw a little smoke and smelled the burning oil, until i saw some had spurted out from the lose oil cap and was just dripping onto the exhaust manifold... pheww... but i really never recovered all day from the few moments of shear terror,lol...

markus
12-04-2006, 09:04 PM
i wouidlnt worry about it. the car would be overheating and running like crap if a headgasket was going south.

Alpinewhite
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
These litte freak outs can really take their toll on the driver. Today i had the oil cover off and forgot to tighten it all the way.Before my next stop i had it up over 110MPH and shortly thereafter began smelling burning oil. I fuuuuureaked out when i opened the hood and saw a little smoke and smelled the burning oil, until i saw some had spurted out from the lose oil cap and was just dripping onto the exhaust manifold... pheww... but i really never recovered all day from the few moments of shear terror,lol...

I think we should start trusting our M60s more.

brosher
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Easy to say with only 78k :p I turned 130k today and it runs like a freight train.

I think the exhaust vapors being visible has more to do with dew point than how long the car has been running.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewpoint

brick8
12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
this morning it was around 6 degrees fahrenheit and I noticed the same thing for my entire drive to work. 1992 m50. made mental note to check coolant level when I got home just to make sure I'm not burning coolant. The white smoke looked pretty thick looking out the rear hatch window of my 525it.

Hi All,

Thanks
Arun

Jehu
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
contrails and smoke are really readily distinguishable from what I've seen. Smoke will persist in the atmosphere considerably longer than condensation.it hangs in the air where condensation evaporates quickly but as others have said if you get to the point where you're billowing white smoke you're probably going to be limping and bucking along and you'll know its not just condensation.

BlueM60
12-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Sorry to hijack the post, but, is that a badly rusted M60 oil pump in your sig Fetch? it looks kinda cool.

-Ben

Fetch
12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hijack the post, but, is that a badly rusted M60 oil pump in your sig Fetch? it looks kinda cool.

-Ben

That's my M60's oil pump, with a goofy photoshop filter applied,
here's the 'original'
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5977/pict2343uf4.jpg

Incantation
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
nice sig .. i like your rims