PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change

chiefcorey
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I went to get the first oil change on my car since i've purchased it. I've put 2,000 KM's on it since I got it, but I had no real idea when the last oil change really happened (they told me they did it a couple months before, but who really knows).

So off I go to Mr. Lube (who have always been good to me, unlike some of my friends). Drive in and they tell me they don't have the filter. Sorry can't do your oil change.

But I know another one not too far away, so I thought I'd try my luck there. I only had time Sunday afternoon to get it done, so away I went.

They had it... supposedly.

Started the oil change, then they tell me I have a canister oil filter and need to charge an extra $15 to change it. Uh, what???

not impressed at this point, but it explains why the other place didn't have it. Why does a car come with a canister filter anyways??

So they get the filter and go to put it in and it DOESN'T fit! AHHHH!:(

The kids that work there were pretty good though, he seached around to find the right one, it turns out their 'computer' had the wrong part number noted for it.

Not a good experience, and it's costing me $15 more for every oil change now. I like the drive through experience, but I think that's ridiculous.

Still love my car though. :D

pgrindstaff
12-04-2006, 04:05 PM
why not get the oil filter from bma or bavauto and change it yourself? its guite an easy job.

Zeuk in Oz
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
A good reason for doing it yourself !

If you're not sure how, look at Bruno's site : www.bmwe34.net

There is a real satisfaction in doing it yourself and knowing it is done right ! :)

Ross
12-04-2006, 04:58 PM
They overcharged you. Avoid quick lube joints like venereal disease.

Spasso
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
why not get the oil filter from bma or bavauto and change it yourself? its guite an easy job.
You don't even have to go to a specialty house for a filter. I get mine through NAPA. They can usually have one there in a day or less. Cost isn't much more than a standard spin on. I buy 5 at a time.WIX brand/NAPA Gold, stay away from Fram
They also have sealing washers for the drain plugs, engine and transmission, usually in stock. .20 a piece, copper or aluminum.

Find a REAL auto parts store and it will make your life easier. NOT Shmucks, Kragen, Checker, Autozone etc.......... only good for light bulbs and oil there.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
and change the oil yourself, and spend sleepless nights pondering sludge, the best oil weight, to go synthetic or dino or blend...should I shorten the change interval.....

Whew! I need my medicine

BillionPa
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
when i went to the dealer to pick up a filter last week, i said "need an oil filter for an E34 V8"

they guy walks to the other counter, sticks his hand in a massive box, taking up half the space under the counter (it was the only box there) pulls a filter out "here you go!"

30s in and out, $15, easiest shopping experience ever.

Dave M
12-04-2006, 07:20 PM
30s in and out, $15, easiest shopping experience ever.

BMA had 3 for $15 :D (M50), but I had to wait :(

So ChiefCory, you might have had three high quality MANN filters for the 'extra scratch' you paid. Let it eat at your soul and you'll be doing your own oil changes soon enough :)

Dave M

brosher
12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeh DIY is the only way to really know it got done right. However if you are like me without a garage in the freezing cold, I break down and go to a valvalene. I buy my own filters and they put it in. Just chat it up with the tech so he knows your not like all the other goobers that come through there, who could care less about the car. At least it comes w/ a free touchless wash.;)

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-04-2006, 07:53 PM
out here won't touch a canister, and they can't reset the oil service lights.

they see a BMW and say " sorry we can't do it, you'll have to go to the dealer"

KenB
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I hit the 3 for $15 oil filter deal at BMA when I bought my fuel pump last month, can't beat that price. I think they were Mahle filters, even at the regular price from BMA, they are only around $7.50 each. Since my order was over $50, free shipping to my door in less than 36 hours.

markus
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
i agree. i used to work at one and i remember my manager telling me to sell crap people didnt even need and didnt even work.. i hated trying to con people into this stuff but he did it and people are so stupid to belive it.

632 Regal
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
them ****ers charged me 30 bux for shipping on a + 200 dollar order.
I hit the 3 for $15 oil filter deal at BMA when I bought my fuel pump last month, can't beat that price. I think they were Mahle filters, even at the regular price from BMA, they are only around $7.50 each. Since my order was over $50, free shipping to my door in less than 36 hours.

Alexlind123
12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Every local auto parts store i have been to has the corect filters IN STOCK at the same price as screw-on type. Canister type are better for the environment, BTW.

brosher
12-04-2006, 11:19 PM

autohausaz.com is where I get most of my stuff.

Free S/H over $50, fast efficient web site catalog, great customer service.

BillionPa
12-05-2006, 01:25 AM
wont touch a canister???? why the hell not? they are much easier than a screw in type, as they arent upside down and dont leak boiling oil all over your arm when you remove it.

Airborne001
12-05-2006, 05:46 AM
Get used to morons getting dollar signs in their eyes when they see the roundel. The filter costs like $2 more than a standard one.

KenB
12-05-2006, 06:00 AM

They do have some items cheaper than BMA, I checked out their site after I bought my fuel pump, they had it for $155, BMA was $199, kinda eats the free shipping, I think BMA will compete on price if you know before you call them.

Jeff- they only charged me $20 to overnight an aux fan to my indy last summer. It was still $60 cheaper than the indy's supplier's price which he didn't have in stock anyway.

chiefcorey
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM

You need to be careful with the shipping option you pick. You can get slower shipping options a lot cheaper. First time I bought from them, I ended up with an overnight package, but it cost me $60 for shipping and $60 for the part.

chiefcorey
12-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Getting the filters from somewhere else is a good idea, but changing it myself isn't really an option. i live in a condo downtown, and while I can do some stuff myself with tools I keep in my storage locker, changing oil isn't one of them.

chiefcorey
12-05-2006, 10:13 AM
i agree. i used to work at one and i remember my manager telling me to sell crap people didnt even need and didnt even work.. i hated trying to con people into this stuff but he did it and people are so stupid to belive it.

I haven't had the issued of them ever trying to oversell me on stuff. Maybe I just look like they can't push me over so they don't try.

But the extra coin to change a canister filter is crap.

chiefcorey
12-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeh DIY is the only way to really know it got done right. However if you are like me without a garage in the freezing cold, I break down and go to a valvalene. I buy my own filters and they put it in. Just chat it up with the tech so he knows your not like all the other goobers that come through there, who could care less about the car. At least it comes w/ a free touchless wash.;)

Cool idea, i'll get some from BMA and try that.

DABIMR
12-05-2006, 11:47 AM

Same here, I use Autohausaz.com, fast shipping, good prices, etc..

Spasso
12-05-2006, 12:13 PM
wont touch a canister???? why the hell not? they are much easier than a screw in type, as they arent upside down and dont leak boiling oil all over your arm when you remove it.
That's funny, back in the day cannister was the ONLY type you could get.

ryan roopnarine
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM

are you referring to bma? refer to that thread i made almost a year ago that (i guess) you emailed to them. its not like they're trying to screw you at every turn, it's just that they're doing things now that you would have never expected from them in the past. the price increases were just the breaking point for me. i still buy from them, i just make sure that the prices given are "firm" and get them to estimate shipping before i hang up the phone.

Mr Project
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Just as a side note, the first time I did an oil change on my M30, I didn't think that the filter fit either. The Mann and Wix filters I've had usually were tall enough that there is a gap of about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch when you set the canister cap back on. Apparently they are designed to 'squish' down a little when you tighten the canister cap bolt, but it freaked me out the first time and I thought the filter didn't fit.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-05-2006, 02:16 PM

O rings, washers ETC.

It is easier to train the guys on one filter type "screw off - screw on" rather than screw off, one big O ring, one tiny O ring and two washers. (one goes on the drain plug) oh my! which one?... Boss! Oops how tight is the top? I think I pinched the O ring, do we have another?

BillionPa
12-05-2006, 11:09 PM
the plastic end kit is one big o-ring and one washer.
i have reused my old washers for like, the last 4 changes, as i torque it TO SPEC.... which doesnt actually crush it.

its also nearly impossible to pinch the ring, if its properly oiled, just as the gasket ring on the screw in type is supposed to be.

Wes F
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM

Tell me about it. Just ordered a whole set of brakes (4 rotors, brake pads, sensors, and a caliper for $375.21, and the ship charge was $148.00!! F**k me that sucked. I didn't know 'til I got the receipt. ****, cost of living in Hawaii I guess, we always get jacked in shipping (no ground ship to Hawaii, all air). God it was nice when I lived literally 7 min from BMA (used to live right in Glendale). Need a part? No prob, drive down the street like you're going to NAPA only it's a Bimmer parts Mecca, THE B-M-A. Yeah, that was cool.

markus
12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
i rather jsut change oil myself but thats me I never took my car anywhere to get an oil change. I dont want to risk some idiot not tightenting my drain plug enough or not replacing the gaskets on the oil filter top.