PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to hear something funny?

Jon K
12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
525 fuel tank is 21.37 gallons. My fill up today was 17.1 galllons (needle hit empty... apparently a little pessimistic). I tuned my ECU more lean during cruising and light load (though I can spare to go leaner, so I will) with an AFR of about 14.5 - 15.3 while cruising and managed 339 miles to the tank. Apparently I had about 4 gallons left in the tank but my gauge/sensor sucks, but anyway, that comes out to 19.82 mpg in my car (combined highway and shorter city travel) which is honetly ridiculous compared to what I used to get.

I used to get anywhere from 220 - 240 miles per tank when I had my other tune running - this is just great. In theory, if I ran the tank down to having only a gallon left, I could do 396 mile per tank. That's crazy!

Tuning this stuff is fun and rewarding!

fujioko
12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Perhaps the original ECU is more concerned with keeping the catalyst converter happy by maintaining the required 14.65:1 AFR. Also gotta keep the Nox levels low…lose some more performance. It all adds up if the car is emission compliant…

I’ll bet you could tune (MegaSquirt) a 3 cyl GEO metro to get 60 to 65 MPG or more. The emissions would suck though.

Jon K
12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Perhaps the original ECU is more concerned with keeping the catalyst converter happy by maintaining the required 14.65:1 AFR. Also gotta keep the Nox levels low…lose some more performance. It all adds up if the car is emission compliant…

I’ll bet you could tune (MegaSquirt) a 3 cyl GEO metro to get 60 to 65 MPG or more. The emissions would suck though.

Fujioko - i never cared about original ECU - I am talking about my initial tune versus my refined tune on megasquirt. When I was supercharged I ran the stock ECU and it still sucked pretty good.

Keeping the cats happy and tuning for lean are one in the same - cats are happy when running lean as long as its not so lean/hot they catch fire - the issue with cats is running to rich and clogging them up, then they catch fire again. I don't have cats, but even if I did they'd be fine.

winfred
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
and theres nothing worse then a unhappy pussy

I don't have cats, but even if I did they'd be fine.

Jon K
12-04-2006, 07:22 PM
lawlz

TC535i
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
lawlzTUNINGlawlz

Boost my 540i. ;)

rob101
12-04-2006, 10:07 PM
whats the tuning of the megasquirt like? I've heard that with the Wideband o2 you can tune the thing from just driving around and using the data logging. I've always wondered about putting one in just for shits and giggles to learn more about the tuning and the EFI systems in these cars, but been hesistant to go jumping into deep ends by choice (as opposed to work where i am forced into there regularly).
For you see I am an engineer and I like pain, ergo installing megasquirt is attractive to me.

MPD47
12-05-2006, 03:50 AM
It's quite easy once you have a base spark map to use.

Congrats on the number's Jon, when are we putting the clutch in?

Airborne001
12-05-2006, 05:43 AM
I guess I'm not understanding something.. I get 22mpg all day long... with a dead stock setup.

rob101
12-05-2006, 06:27 AM
It's quite easy once you have a base spark map to use.

Congrats on the number's Jon, when are we putting the clutch in?
man i love the 951, definitely on my list of cars to own, very underrated. you're a lucky man.......I mean lucky bastard!

winfred
12-05-2006, 08:40 AM
yea but he's doing it with maybe half again to double the stock horsepower with a computer he built

I guess I'm not understanding something.. I get 22mpg all day long... with a dead stock setup.