PDA

View Full Version : Heater core area SMOKING!

Dan in NZ
04-19-2004, 03:32 AM
On my travels for easter break, I started out on the 6 hour drive to Christchurch for the BMW driver training day, when I smelt something burning... I pulled over and lifted the bonnet, and smoke was pouring out of the heater core area. The whole time the hvac had been maintaining a constant temperature. I pulled out the two heater control fuses, and kept driving. While the fuses were out The dashboard display had no backlighting and I could dimly make out "check control". Two hours down the track it was getting too warm to have no A/C so I plugged the fuses back in, the display returned to normal.

The only change since the fuses are back in, is that the climate control will oscillate the temperature, meaning it's warm for about two mins, then cool for about two mins. It's quite strange driving the car, and having the temperature rise and fall noticably the whole time.

There doesn't seem to be any heater valve related problems, it does maintain the temperature +- about 2-3 degrees every few mins, and the aux water pump must be working as there is always heat available...

Just wondering what could have been burning, and why the climate control now has a rise-fall pattern of temperature regulation???