PDA

View Full Version : VANOS noise and a coolant leak? Hmmmm.... Whadaya think?

shrike071
12-04-2006, 09:32 AM
This morning, I was under the hood trying to trace down the source of a coolant leak and I noticed that just off-idle, like at 1000-1200 RPM's, there is a rattle coming from the VANOS unit. Put my ear right on the damn thing and thats where its coming from for sure. (It was 25 degrees, btw - and the car was warm.) Now, I am not sure how long this has been happening as it only happens directly off-idle and I am rarely underhood at that time. At idle, and while driving it - nothing can be heard. Is this the "VANOS Rattle" I have read about? I didn't think so because of the range of RPMS that it happens in. Your input is appreciated.

Also - since it was so damn cold this morning, I ran out and started the car and let it warm up in the driveway. A few minutes later, I ran out with my toddler and strapped her in and shuttled her in to daycare. When I got back home, I noticed a puddle and traced the source to the radiator although I can't seem to locate a leak. It was during the search that I discovered the VANOS sound. I did notice that the coolant was reading higher than it should on the bottle... I looked into the bottle as the engine was running and didn't see anything unusual.

Again - any ideas?