PDA

View Full Version : Need help upgrading low beams...

Robert K
12-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a 1991 535i with the standard type low and high beams. I checked the bulbs the other day and appear to have standard halogen 9005 & 9006 bulbs. My main problem is the low beams. They just don't seem to throw enough light on the road. The high beams do just fine. My brothers were with me the other night when I clicked the high beams on. They couldn't believe how well they lit the road. Anyway, my 43 year old eyes seem to need a little more light on the road when the low beams are on. Anyone have any experience with the various bulbs out there?

P.S. I'm not going to HID or anything involving intense modifications, so don't waste your time doing a write up on it.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

winfred
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
one of the best things would be to get rid of the crappy low buck 91-92 lights, get some elpisoids from a 89-90 93-95 car or euro lights, all direct bolt on's, effective and not some gay wigger stuff, euro's would be best as you can dial whatever wattage you need with bulbs but the elipsoids are not too bad and have a same sharp beam cut off as the euros that lets you properly aim the lights down the road without blinding people, the 10 watt better high beam to low beam bulb trick helps too (9005-9006 or 9006-9005 i can't remember), it's covered on bmwe34.net, i've seen some complain about bulb life with that mod but mine lasted the 2+ years i had my car before i sold it

Felixdacat
12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Try switching to euro smileys. I got mine off ebay from a e34 owner not an aftermarket store. This allowed me to use H-1 bulbs, and it made a drastic difference. There bolt in, but you will need the connector. I replaced mine in about an hour both sides. These have the city lights also. You don't need to hook those up though.

Alexlind123
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Dont get the ellipsoids from a '90, they suck too :( BTW, im planning on HIDs.

Paul in NZ
12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
a bulb conversion worth doing is H1R i beleive.I have euro eppsilloids and i reckon they suck too.In any thing but the best conditions they would be the worst halogen low beams i have had.with std H1 55W lamps

ryan roopnarine
12-04-2006, 03:41 AM
9006<-->9005 definitely worth doing, and probably the cheapest thing you could do. you can use a soldering iron you don't care about or use an exacto knife/boxcutter, and under 30 minutes to do. no modification to your car required, only to the bulbs.

winfred
12-04-2006, 08:41 AM
try the cheepo us lights without the focusing element not much better then sealed beams, which would be a huge improvement over the lights on my truck, they get over shone by anything stronger then a candle, thinking about taping a couple maglights to the fenders till i can get some sport lights

a bulb conversion worth doing is H1R i beleive.I have euro eppsilloids and i reckon they suck too.In any thing but the best conditions they would be the worst halogen low beams i have had.with std H1 55W lamps

schnell944
12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I have '90 euro ellipsoids with HIR bulbs in them and I have to say the setup works great. if you do go this route, make sure you clean the ellipsoid before installation. It makes a world of a difference.

brick8
12-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I did the 9006<-->9005 conversion but now it seems my low beams are pointed up to the sky. This seems illogical because I did nothing to change the aim. Is this normal?

9006<-->9005 definitely worth doing, and probably the cheapest thing you could do. you can use a soldering iron you don't care about or use an exacto knife/boxcutter, and under 30 minutes to do. no modification to your car required, only to the bulbs.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Consider this when changing to ellipsoids:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/ECODECUTAWAY.jpg

Trim along line shown to get an E-code beam (no smiley, but there you go).

At your own expense and risk.

Dave M
12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Anthony,

any more info on this available? I'm assuming you cut the black line. That simple? Also, I'm installing HID at the same tim as going to ellip[soids (from the free-form).

Interesting

JMI
12-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I have the exact same issue with the low beams on my 1989 535i. Purchased these Wagners Brite (http://www.brandsport.com/manufacturers-wagner.html#Use)Lite Xenons (http://www.brandsport.com/manufacturers-wagner.html#Use) but found no real improvment. Just looking for a simple bulb change. If you find one please post it.

Jim

brosher
12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
The ellipsoids on my 95 are more than adequate in stock form. I just bought some smiley lenses on ebay cause I like the way they look. I'm going to convert the bulb to fit them.

Macv
12-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Same problem, did the 9005 conversion and it didn't light up any more than usual, so I bought euro lamps and 6000k HID. Now I light up the world!