PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe how cold it was today!!!

schnell944
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok, so I nearly drove off the road when I got a cold temp. warning of -535F!(ironic, huh?) It went down to -185 and was at -8 when I last turned the car on to check. Can someone tell me where the outside temp sensor is located and what it looks like? I'm guessing my first bet should be to unplug it and plug it back in again? I can imagine that this is what happens when they go south, no?

SnakeyesTx
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
It looks a little bit like a coolant temp sensor. Two wire plug going into it and a brass-like metal piece sticking out of it. Mine was loosely hanging right behind the bumper in the area where the driver's side tow hook cover is.

The other night mine did something kind of strange too. When the temperature dropped below 39*F, the dash chimed and displayed the temperature on the display. I guess it was my car telling me "OMGWTF, turn on the heater!" :D

Bill R.
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
possible icy roads chime warning:)

It looks a little bit like a coolant temp sensor. Two wire plug going into it and a brass-like metal piece sticking out of it. Mine was loosely hanging right behind the bumper in the area where the driver's side tow hook cover is.

The other night mine did something kind of strange too. When the temperature dropped below 39*F, the dash chimed and displayed the temperature on the display. I guess it was my car telling me "OMGWTF, turn on the heater!" :D

DaveVoorhis
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
It plugs into a slot behind the left-side tow hook cover.

It's supposed to chime when the temp gets below +3 degrees C, to warn you that there may be ice on the road.

SnakeyesTx
12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
That.. is.. so... awesome :D

Jr ///M5
12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
possible icy roads chime warning:)

That's one thing when Midwesterner's buy a car from Arizona, Texas or California, the icy road chime is like brand new! It's a good thing, we wear 'em out the first month of winter....:p

Bill R.
12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
lack of use...

That's one thing when Midwesterner's buy a car from Arizona, Texas or California, the icy road chime is like brand new! It's a good thing, we wear 'em out the first month of winter....:p

Jehu
12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
mine chimes at +38 degrees F.Is that programmed from the factory and if so why or can i set it wherever or turn it off?

shogun
12-03-2006, 08:53 PM
That is factory set, you cannot switch it off.
Unless you disconnect the gong.

Jehu
12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
why 38 deg F? time to put in thinner oil?

Fetch
12-03-2006, 09:11 PM

warns you that ice/black ice could be on the road

schnell944
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
time to be carefull because there is the possibility you could slide on ice.

shogun
12-03-2006, 09:17 PM
And all this is mentioned in the owners manual ;)

Jehu
12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Owner's manual? Where is this located?

BillionPa
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
-535F is below absolute zero, stupid german programmers.

shogun
12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
That are not stupid German engineers, something is wrong with the BC.
-535F is -315C
Usually, when the temp sensor is defective, the BC shows -37.5 Celsius=cannot read the temp.

Similar discussion was on Bimmerboard, where also someone has -535F.
Today he reports:
Yesterday (the day after those wonky OBC ambient temp readings on a mild but wet day) everything returned back to it's normal self. I spoke to the P.O. (my mother) about this and she stated that this wasn't a first time occurence. It had done this a few times during the four years she owned the car, and she noted that most times that things started bonging and messages started flashing is when the temps outside began to drop. Perhaps I'm making much ado about nothing... after all, this is a 14 year old car with 14 year old electronics. I probably shouldn't complain since almost all the time virtually all of the electronic devices in my E32 are on their best behavior.

attack eagle
12-03-2006, 10:25 PM
if you just stick your head under the bumper, there is a little loop that holds it aimed at the hole in the foglight bracket cover. Mine was just hanging the other day so I pushed it back into place, took all of 15 seconds.

schnell944
12-03-2006, 10:32 PM
interesting. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. it's interesting to hear that for that guy who has the same problem, it occured when the temps dropped. we just had a big drop in temps here in MA, as well. hopefully it will go back to its normal self soon. I really like using the temp display.

dt8068
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
It warns you at 38F because at 38 F the temperature in the shade is about 32F so ice is possible.

///Sniper535
12-03-2006, 11:41 PM
That is factory set, you cannot switch it off.
Unless you disconnect the gong.

I DONT HAVE A GONG! WHY!???

shogun
12-03-2006, 11:57 PM
How I Fixed The Gong - by Ian Nicholson

Hi Everyone,

Well, my gong didn't work. All the readings of the manual telling me how the gong would warn me of all manner of things left me feeling empty, worthless and alone.

All my friends on bimmer.info had working gongs - and loved them. For me, the sound of silence announced the Check Control display. I could only look on with weary eyes and wonder what angel's song could possibly accompany the sheer poetry of "LIMIT 50Km/h".

Alas, I was doomed never to hear the dulcet tone of the BMW E34 5 series gong... or was I?

At once, in a fit of determined outrage I clutched my electric screwdriver and launched myself at the unsuspecting screws that held the panel between the pedals and my steering wheel closely cosseted to the bosom of my Five.

Each fell and surrendered themselves as dull thuds to the footwell carpet.

Soon, and with great trepidation, I gently peeled the panel away. Blinking in the dark I reached for the glovebox torch, and in its pearly light I caught a glimpse of my prize. For there, mummified among the soundproof padding in all it's revealed magnificence was... the BMW gong.

I gently pinched the clips that held it fast in the panel, and plucked the leads such that it dropped as would a ripened fruit into my hands.

Back inside, I pondered this sonic sarcophagus and laid my plans to reveal its contents. Prising each of the four sprung fasteners in turn, I pushed a strip from some forgotten blister back to hold them back. Teasing the top of the Gong out into the light revealed the marvel of modern electronics that BMW themselves demanded a handsome purse of AU$225 to replace.

But there, below, was the source of my scourge. A scurrilously cheap 50mm speaker, cunningly deployed when the rest of the world uses 57mm speakers in their computers and the like. The cruelty! A quick continuity check confirmed my fears, this cancerous component was the source of my misery.

Hunting the malls of the world wide web I found my answer - a 2-inch wide range speaker from Jaycar:-

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=609

With my trusty tinsnips, I cut more corners off my speaker than BMW did theirs.

And lo, the speaker fit, and it was good. Freshly partnered to the ancient circuit board with honest solder I quickly reassembled the unit.

Rushing back to my eagerly-awaiting Five I inserted the cables and...

"Bing..." - "LIGHTS ON?"

A tear sprung in my eye...

"Bing...!" - "LIGHTS ON?"

I wanted more. In went the key and the 3.0 litre V8 roared into life! Like a giddy schoolboy I punched the LIMIT button and entered 50km/h.

Off I flew into the night...

"Bing...!" - "LIMIT 50Km/h"

With tears welling in my eyes I could no longer see and had to stop for fear of crashing....

Now we're together I want us never to be apart. My friends are talking to me once more and now my life is complete... again.

Fin.
-------------------------
Repairing a silent gong...

Hi All,

Well, as I was having the radiator replaced today, I had my mechanic pull the gong out for me at the same time.

So far, I have successfully dismantled the gong, and a quick test with the continuity tester and ohmmeter reveals the speaker itself is dead - no circuit.

It is a 5cm, 0.5w 80ohm. Yes, I though 80ohm was strange too, but there really isn't a '.' between the 8 and the 0...!

A round circuit board carries a single IC (an ELMOS ICR33271E), along with some passive components and a few surface-mounted components on the underside.

Since I do not have a 12v source, I am unable to test the circuit with a replacement speaker right now.

I intend to replace the speaker in the first instance, although who knows what else may have blown?! I figure its worth 99c to try! If I can get a replacement IC, I may change that out too, although my money's on (and hoping) that the speaker itself is the culprit.

When I'm done, I may post the results on here.

Wish me luck!!

Ian

schnell944
12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
well, it's back to normal now...still a chilly 36 deg. though.

632 Regal
12-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I fixed mine with stabilant22
well, it's back to normal now...still a chilly 36 deg. though.

DaveVoorhis
12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Around that point, you may hit colder spots on bridges and whatnot that could be icy. I suppose it also allows for a certain margin of error due to inaccuracy in the sensor.