PDA

View Full Version : Engine running on after shutdown

uktom
12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Any ideas? 3.0 litre V8 After shutdown and removing the keys the engine runs on. The only way to shut down is to remove fuel relay
This only happens after running a while. If you start engine and switch straight off it will shut down normally
At a loose end with this one!!

BlueM60
12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Check main relay, sounds like it may be sticking. Replace it and fuel pump relay to be sure. If not relay, check electrical portion of ign switch, wouldnt be very likely though based on the "only happens after it runs for a while" part. Hope this helps.

-Ben

uktom
12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
The fuel relay is the white one under the ECU right? Which one is the main relay?
thanks for your help so far!

cheers
Tom

Check main relay, sounds like it may be sticking. Replace it and fuel pump relay to be sure. If not relay, check electrical portion of ign switch, wouldnt be very likely though based on the "only happens after it runs for a while" part. Hope this helps.

-Ben

BillionPa
12-03-2006, 09:26 PM
on mine the fuel pump relay is green (my new one is silver) and the main relay is the white one.

BlueM60
12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Main relay should be a 5 prong white relay.

92E34
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Matters on which year. Mines blue.

shogun
12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
@uktom

Please update your profile with the necessary car data, model and month and year of production, that is absolutely necessary to help you with wiring diagrams etc.
If you do not know the month/year of production, visit my website below and search for VIN decoder, that will give you the necessary info and also on the engine type which should be an M60 engine.

BillionPa
12-03-2006, 10:22 PM
model too, his is a 3L V8 like mine, so the colors will be more similar. BMW did change the part numbers over time, so white/green is the stock part colors, and white/silver is the new ones... for the M60 cars anyway

uktom
12-05-2006, 04:59 PM

-Ben

Hi Guys,

next installment!!
Well I replaced the two relays main and fuel............ Guess What???
Yes it still runs on after I remove the key.
I remember years ago cars doing this when they had carbon deposits. But that was before electronic ignition and fuel pumps.
Any other ideas??

Cheers
Tom

billy
12-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi Guys,

next installment!!
Well I replaced the two relays main and fuel............ Guess What???
Yes it still runs on after I remove the key.
I remember years ago cars doing this when they had carbon deposits. But that was before electronic ignition and fuel pumps.
Any other ideas??

Cheers
Tom

could the ignition switch be faulty?
does everything else shut down apart from the engine? ie the instrument cluster turns off?

uktom
12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
could the ignition switch be faulty?
does everything else shut down apart from the engine? ie the instrument cluster turns off?

Well kind of yes and no.
When you turn the key off an remove the key everything works except the instrument cluster and the battery light flickers. You can still put the car into drive and it moves.

632 Regal
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
whoaaa...whole new angle to look at here. does it ever shut off?

Well kind of yes and no.
When you turn the key off an remove the key everything works except the instrument cluster and the battery light flickers. You can still put the car into drive and it moves.

uktom
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
whoaaa...whole new angle to look at here. does it ever shut off?

Only if you unplug the ECU

632 Regal
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
does the key turn to start it? somethings funny in the ignition department, there is a pot metal link that commonly breaks.

uktom
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
does the key turn to start it? somethings funny in the ignition department, there is a pot metal link that commonly breaks.

See this is the strange thing Regal.
Once you have unplugged the ECU and switched the engine off you restart the engine and it will switch off with the key. But........ go for even a short run and it will not switch off with the key
Confused??? I am !

uktom
12-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Anybody have any other ideas or its off to the shop!!

BillionPa
12-06-2006, 02:14 AM
i would remove the stuff under the steerign wheel to get to the ignition switch wiring.

then when the car is running with the key out, manually cut the ignition wire and see if still stays on.

billy
12-06-2006, 03:29 AM
then when the car is running with the key out, manually cut the ignition wire and see if still stays on.

when you say cut the ignition wire, i presume you mean to unplug the ignition switch wiring loom plug, which is about 2 foot of wiring away from the ignition switch(well it is on RHD, not sure about LHD)
just clarifying so as not to think to actually cut the wire...

BillionPa
12-06-2006, 04:03 AM
... sure, that works too :D

uktom
12-06-2006, 05:19 AM
when you say cut the ignition wire, i presume you mean to unplug the ignition switch wiring loom plug, which is about 2 foot of wiring away from the ignition switch(well it is on RHD, not sure about LHD)
just clarifying so as not to think to actually cut the wire...

Phew, thought he meant getting the wire cutters out!!!
My car is RHD Billy

Cheers
Tom

Ausmpower
12-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Poorly wired aftermarket alarm fitted? or alarm relay feeding back and staying closed?

have seen this with early E36 (Pre EWS) several times and all were from the same installer......

uktom
12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Poorly wired aftermarket alarm fitted? or alarm relay feeding back and staying closed?

have seen this with early E36 (Pre EWS) several times and all were from the same installer......

No genuine BMW Alarm factory fitted. Good thought though
Thanks for everybody's help so far;)

Jon K
12-06-2006, 12:36 PM

I had a problem just like this. Mine was a little different since I have an aftermarket ECU among other things. What I found was that I had been using the MAIN RELAY witched +12v to power my coils and the car would not shut off with the key. It would run indefinitely this way. I took the coil power from the pin for turning the ECU on, rather than the main relay, and now my car functions properly.

Check to see if someone has messed with wiring beneath the main relay. unbolt the little relay holder block and peek below.

632 Regal
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
it sounds like the relay is sticking if everything works OK for short term and when it heats up it sticks. I do not understand why it does the same thing with a new relay. It is a new relay right???

perplexed

uktom
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
it sounds like the relay is sticking if everything works OK for short term and when it heats up it sticks. I do not understand why it does the same thing with a new relay. It is a new relay right???

perplexed

Yes it was ordered through BMW to the superceeded number.
Now for the really strange bit!
The problem seems to have disappeared today, spooky eh........ one of those annoying intermittant problems!
I 'll keep everyone posted!