PDA

View Full Version : Akebono vs Raybestos-REAR?

Russell
12-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I understand from the archives that Bill R and perhaps others that the Akebono Euro Pads are now favored over the Raybestos QS pads.

I installed the QS on the front with new ATE rotors with about 15,000 miles and have experiences minimal wear to pads or rotors and no dust or noise. No issues except it seems I had to press the brake pedal a bit harder.

Now it is time time for REAR rotors and pads! Any recomendations for brand? I will go with new ATE rotors. Is it ok to mix brands of pads? TIA

Bill R.
12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Russell you can mix brands without any ill effects, especially on the rear. But if your happy with the qs's on the front then i'd stick with them on the back. You can look at the edge codes on both brands of rear pads to determine if the pedal pressure required is about the same. I think they are both and FF but i'm not positive without looking at them.

I understand from the archives that Bill R and perhaps others that the Akebono Euro Pads are now favored over the Raybestos QS pads.

I installed the QS on the front with new ATE rotors with about 15,000 miles and have experiences minimal wear to pads or rotors and no dust or noise. No issues except it seems I had to press the brake pedal a bit harder.

Now it is time time for REAR rotors and pads! Any recomendations for brand? I will go with new ATE rotors. Is it ok to mix brands of pads? TIA

Russell
12-03-2006, 01:25 PM
What are edge codes? This is something I am not aware of. Is there a source for finding out this data. Anyway, Bill. thanks for the advice.

Bill R.
12-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Russell the edge codes indicate the coefficient of friction of the pad material first cold then hot. If you do a search for edge codes you can find out more about them than you really want to know. Here's a page with some info on them
(http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/tt/tt100616.htm)
Simply put they assign a letter value to how much friction there is on a given piece of brake material when applied with the same amount of force. The higher the coefficient of friction the higher the letter. Such as cc dd ee ff gg hh... Typically a performance pad will be FF or higher. The first letter is the rating cold and the second hot. Many pads will not have the same letter hot and cold.. All the ceramics that i've installed typically are a FF indicating that the amount of stopping ability is about the same. As a general rule the higher the letters the less force required to stop as well, Since they tend to bite more at the tested pressure.

What are edge codes? This is something I am not aware of. Is there a source for finding out this data. Anyway, Bill. thanks for the advice.

Russell
12-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Thats all I need to know! Appreciate the info.