PDA

View Full Version : OT Benz w201 board?

Ross
12-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi guys. I bought a W201 MB. Yea, yea I know, but it's the 2.6 so has some redeeming value.
I need to remove the climate control panel for some diagnostics and can't figure out how to remove it. MBs confound me with hidden fasteners so before I break something..
Would someone here know of a forum like this with such a wealth of knowledge that caters to the baby MBs?
Thanks,
Ross

winfred
12-02-2006, 06:14 PM
it's been a while since i did one, if i remember right the wood comes off via a couple hidden sliding latches on the bottom (if i am thinking about the right one, or its screwed on) the biggest pain in the ass with 190 ac panels is the fact that every year and model has a different part # cci uptime/programa does some good rebuilt units for those cars, for some of the other annoying **** like the fuel pump relay and climate control relays their replacement stuff is way above the benz **** in quality. keep good oil in that thing keep it changed and be mindful of self destructing timing components, cam/rockers chain/guides, if caught in time you will spend considerably less money then if you ignore it

winfred
12-02-2006, 06:20 PM
i thought of another thing that's hard to figure out on the ac if you don't know about it, the compressor has a motion sensor on it and if it detects slip it will disable the compressor till you shut the car off, sometimes the power steering pump crap's on the compressor and the oil makes it slip triggering it's shut down. theres a silver relay(usually with a red plastic top) sorta by the battery in the firewall with a fuse in the top of it, that will shut down a few things, it's called the over voltage protection relay if i remember right

Bill R.
12-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Here's the procedure Ross
(http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/mer201pdf.pdf)

Hi guys. I bought a W201 MB. Yea, yea I know, but it's the 2.6 so has some redeeming value.
I need to remove the climate control panel for some diagnostics and can't figure out how to remove it. MBs confound me with hidden fasteners so before I break something..
Would someone here know of a forum like this with such a wealth of knowledge that caters to the baby MBs?
Thanks,
Ross

winfred
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
i knew the wood was held with two tabs, i just forgot they were on the top

Here's the procedure Ross
(http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/mer201pdf.pdf)

Ross
12-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Bill & Winfred,
Somehow I knew it would be you guys that would come through. Thanks a bunch. I'll get at it today as I'm freezing my arse off in this thing.
I got as far as the wood trim when it was apparent I needed help.
Is that manual available on line some where?

colo525i
12-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Not sure if the diags are available easily, but i also have a 201 only a 2.3 sadly. http://community.190revolution.net
190 Rev is the best site i have found as for 201 help.

CharlesAFerg
12-03-2006, 04:28 AM
W140 ftw.:D

markus
12-03-2006, 01:05 PM
on the same topic anyone know anything about the 2.3-16? I always liked these cars and would like to get one since E30 M3 prices are going up and the 16v seems to be dropping. I still think its a neat car.

Bill R.
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Ross , i have a couple of different factory service manuals for them. The wis covers most models but its a real pain in the ass to use. I also have the factory service manual on Cd which looks like this. PM me if you are interested in this.

Bill & Winfred,
Somehow I knew it would be you guys that would come through. Thanks a bunch. I'll get at it today as I'm freezing my arse off in this thing.
I got as far as the wood trim when it was apparent I needed help.
Is that manual available on line some where?

winfred
12-03-2006, 06:06 PM
the same general crappy cheepness of a 190e with a cosworth head, lotsa weird hard to come by unique parts scattered around the car make them ungodfully expensive to fix and even worse if you get a euro car where theres nothing to tell you what will interchange. there was a true bastard being passed around the shops in town here a few years ago, it landed at our shop just long enough for us to say get that rotten mother****er off our property (we already knew about it and it's history for years) a euro 83-84 190e with a 500sel motor and 4 speed, it was called the Schultz and was reported to be very fast, black on black recaros and manual everything, dude that owned it's wife cleared the upper and lower oil pan and one of the exhaust manifolds right off the car in a parking lot, then it spent several years being passed around baton rouge euro shops hopeing someone would take on the task of sourcing probably one off parts from a most likely long dead german tuner, not sure where it wound up but it's probably taking up space in somebody's shop somewhere

on the same topic anyone know anything about the 2.3-16? I always liked these cars and would like to get one since E30 M3 prices are going up and the 16v seems to be dropping. I still think its a neat car.

markus
12-03-2006, 11:39 PM
sounds interesting