PDA

View Full Version : 540i issues...

danielhstout
12-01-2006, 11:31 PM
I just bought a '95 540i for really cheap because it has some issues. First of all it suffers from the dreaded Trans Program limp mode issue but I am not so sure that it is not just a bad sensor or something along those lines.

There is another issue that may or may not be related. When I start the car it shudders really bad for a short period and then less severely when I drive away. It seems like the vibration is getting worse over time; I dont know if it is the cold weather or just something getting even more f'ed up over time. When the car gets warmed up a bit it seems to almost go away completely. There is still a small vibration present when the car is warmed up but it is hardley noticeable. Does this vibration or shudder sound related to the tranny issue?

I only get the trans program promt and limp mode when I have the car in D (drive). If I drive it in sport mode I never get the trans program message but the shudder is still present. The fact that I can drive the car hard in S (sport) mode w/o the trans program error makes me think that the tranny is actally still mechanically sound. I have read about electrical issues that can throw the car into limp mode so I am hoping for one of those but I am also fully prepered to swap out the tranny if I have to.

Here is what I am thinking might be causing the trans program problem:
(let me know if I am off base)

1.The rubber intake boot is taped up AFTER the Air Flow Meter so it could be sending a faulty signal to the computer causing it to throw up the trans program error... Right?

2. The transmission speed sensor is faulty causing it to propmt the trans program error. Or maybe just some other electrical/sensory issue like this is causing the problem.

As far as the shuddering goes I think it is driveline related.

1. I first though thought the motor mounts might be failing but the fact thatgoes away after the car warms up makes me think that this isn't the cause. (I dunno) Is there anything else that can cause this type of vibration? It does it in park and in gear.

2. The tranny is actually mechanically f'ed up and it is causing vibrations in the drive train.

So if the tranny is mechanically screwed then what are my options?

1. Rebuild. How much should this cost?

2. Find a used tranny and swap it out myself. What can I find a good used box for? Where is the best place to buy?

3.Do a six speed conversion myself. How much will all the parts that I need cost and where do I get them? I am not made of money.

So I think I laid it out pretty well... Let me know what you guys think. I thank you for any input in advance. Thanks.

Denton
12-01-2006, 11:49 PM
I'll just throw in that you don't have to swap in a six speed; you can swap in a 5-speed from the 530iM...supposedly a tad more affordable.

If you're paying for labor, I'd expect $2.3k including parts for a tranny swap.

markus
12-01-2006, 11:57 PM
if the intake boot is taped up id definatley replace that. its unmetered air entering the system and will make the car run like crap. Also if the enigne mounts are still original i would highly suggest replacing these along with transmission mounts because I just did this and the car is rock solid at idle. Sorry about your EML. Im not too keen on these transmissions and when mine craps out ill probly do the 6-speed swap.

danielhstout
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the quick replys. What model is the tranny out of the 530? If I do a swap I will do it myself, but I wouldn't attempt a rebuild. I don't really think the tranny is bad cause I can drive the crap out of it in sport mode with no trans program or limp mode. If the tranny turns out to be bad are spare trannys easy to come by? What should I expect to pay? I plan on doing the intake boot first thing because of the unmetered air issue... but the car doesnt run poorly it just has these drivetrain issues. Does anyones 540i shudder even a little when its cold? If a small amount of vibration is common then bad mounts would make it more severe correct? I just bought the car 2 days ago so I don't know alot about it specifically but I have done motor/tranny swaps and clutch jobs on my e30s. I own an' 89 325iX and I just sold my 325eS That i pretty much rebuilt from the ground up. I am not afraid to do a swap if this is my best option...
What is the first thing I should do before I assume the tranny is bad? Or does it sound screwed from the description I have given?

danielhstout
12-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Bump

632 Regal
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
call Kirt Kohller about the trans, he is the Guru and works at ZF.

(800)624-3876 ext 5735
or direct at (616)748-5735

Good Luck with it all.

danielhstout
12-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. Is kirt a member?