PDA

View Full Version : I don't need no stinking snow tires!

Ross
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Chicago, Il. USA December 1,2006 Big snowstorm here especially NW of the city where I am.
GF's touring is without snow tires and she is intimidated by the weather so I drive her to work.
This car was great! Near new Potenza G009s on it and ASC. Turned the ASC to the non power limiting mode and eventually off just to test traction.
No problems, just drove right on by all of Jerry's kids in the ditches with their front drivers and SUVs. Ha Ha Ha.
Traction ultimately comes down to what is on the road and I am very pleased with the performance of these tires in really bad conditions. So much so I've decided not to get dedicated snows as I originally planned.
Winter # 33 without snow tires. Who needs 'em? Not a manly man. Arghh,arghh,arghh

Paul in NZ
12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
what about steering and braking traction,thats what would scare me?

tim s
12-01-2006, 05:29 PM
i have blizzacks.
tim s.

Ross
12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I was not just talking about acceleration, it did quite well overall.
We're not talking about trying to overcome the conditions and drive at normal speeds. I probably didn't exceed 35 MPH all morning.
I hate front drivers because you can't use the throttle to steer and have almost always had RWD in the winter thats why I switched off the ASC.
For some reason, wide tires perhaps, I expected the 5 to be bad in snow.
This was a surprise to me that's why I posted my experience. Old news to you guys probably but it's my first 5'er.

SC David
12-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I want to try driving my car in the snow, but at the same time I don't.

Maybe I'll take it to an outdoor ice skating rink one day and scare all the people away :)

JerseySi
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Can't wait to take mine out in the snow!

Sadly it's unlikely - if we get any snow at all it's usually only a bit for 1 evening, maybe enough to settle, but will all be gone by the morning :(
Last time it snowed, I was out for 5 hours, used3/4 of a tank of petrol just going everywhere sideways with the handbrake up :D
(Car was a Rover Sterling 2.7V6, fwd, and was from about midnight - noone but me & my mate behind in his g/f's Fiesta)

Ross
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Driving in snow is a blast if you don't need to contend with traffic. EVERY car is overpowered in snow!

andmd
12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I've spent the past week tooling around in my 525 in a foot of snow. It can be a lot of fun, sure, but you've got to take it slow -- well, at least I did. Nothing I want to do less than wreck my baby. The car handled well; I was pleased. The thing that pisses me off is all the ice chunks on the road, where half the road is pavement and the other half is ice sticking up three inches. Makes for a rough ride.

Atl530i
12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Ehh...

No snow tires and blizzards do not mix....

I'd get snow tires just to be safe. Better safe then sorry.

filip00
12-01-2006, 09:37 PM
i think it's silly to not want winter tires for snow. you can accelerate or turn with TC and other gadgets, but what when you simply can't stop soon enough, because abs isn't enough to slow you down?

winter tires are the best investment you can make for your car if your area has snow during winter. try it, you'll be very glad to know that your e34 driving on 195s 15s, with snow tires, is faster than ANY other car, and has better handling (with tc off, drifting of course), no matter the size and weight it has.

Ross
12-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Point well made.
I'm satisfied with the cars snow manners as is. I don't exceed the limits of available traction and understand the limitations of these conditions after driving 33 winters.
Agreed snow tires would be an improvement.
The limiting factor around here is TRAFFIC.
Someone driving a Hummer is limited by the guy in front just like everyone else, saw exactly that yesterday.
The point of my post was to praise the car, it's tires and express my surprise at same.

filip00
12-02-2006, 12:05 PM
alright then. eventhough i love to see people's faces during winter as i drift along the streets with my winter tires on, ensuring my grip when i need it. it's so much easier to control your car.... :)

Montreal525
12-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Imagine the car with snow tires. But even a brand new summer tire can do O.K. if the temperature isn't too low. You have to remember that snow tires are made from a different compound than all-seasons or summer tires. Cold is the best reason to get winter tires. Your all-seasons tires won't do you any good at -20C on icy roads. The compound in the tire will freeze up and be stiff as hell. The tire loses it's ability to perform as it is not designed to operate in those temparature.

It's money well spent for the added safety and efficiency. Tires are shoes for your car. You can walk in the snow with a pair of sneakers but I bet you spent the extra dollar to get a real pair of boots, right?

Jeff

MPD47
12-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Snow is all about driver control. If you know the throttle isnt a binary switch and know how to countersteer, you'll do fine. I've driven in winters with 400hp and snow tires, and 100hp and bald tires, not much of a difference honestly ;)

I prefer BMW's with the traction control off in the snow, much easier to handle. You dont suddenly have the computer shut you down when you really need more throttle.