PDA

View Full Version : banjo bolts...advice please

schnell944
12-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm ordering up stuff to get ready to do a valve adjustment for the first time. The previous owner was pretty meticulous about having maintenence done at the dealer, but my dad, who has owned/operated the car for the last 3 years has taken it to an indy. The indy told him he didn't need a valve adjustment on the car for general maintenence.

I am wondering whether I should order the new style banjo bolts with the locking compound on them. Would the dealer who did the valve adjustments earlier most likely have replaced the bolts with the new ones? (I don't know when this 'new style' became available). My concern is that if the new style bolts are in there, will they be difficult to get out (because of the locking compound)? If not, I'll probably just get new crossdrilled ones with crush washers anyway. TIA!

Rigmaster
12-01-2006, 01:50 PM
You can't ASSUME anything about the bolts- so just buy new ones. I personally would go with the cross drilled bolts- it's just more insurance against them loosening.

BTW, the loctite they put on the bolt should not cause you any problems when it comes time to remove it- it should come out with regular hand tools.

Bret.

schnell944
12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
thanks! I was jsut worried about the 'compound' they used. Wasn't sure what it was.

mamilapon
12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Anyway if you have a Bentley you'll find that the new bolt heads look different from the original ones.

schnell944
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
yup. ordered some new bolts. picked up a 32mm open wrench to turn the engine, too.