PDA

View Full Version : 535 booked for LPG

F4Phantom
12-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I booked my car to get LPG fitted today. Total cost $2650. Rebate from government $2000, my cost $650. I will pay for it in 3 months and from then on its ccchhheeeeaaappppp!

pundit
12-01-2006, 07:33 AM
I booked my car to get LPG fitted today. Total cost $2650. Rebate from government $2000, my cost $650. I will pay for it in 3 months and from then on its ccchhheeeeaaappppp!
Whereabouts are you having the conversion done and which system are you fitting?

F4Phantom
12-01-2006, 07:43 AM
its the basic system where they just throw gas into the air intake. the injection system gives better emissions, costs more than 1k more and does nothing for power and economy. i get a full boot of gas (crap!) but Its going to save me so much money its not funny. I called around and no one does our car any more..... except AG auto gas lilydale. If you own a falcon you have to wait 6 months but i got mine in for 2 weeks cause parts are not an inssue for this car. anyway for $650 i think its worth it. I just wish i could get the tank under the car.

BigKriss
12-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Where does the tank go, in the boot?

filip00
12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
i have that same system on my car, throwing the lpg in the air intake. the problem is, car loses its power, it's not as strong as is it is when driving on gasoline.
also, you wanna make sure you have plenty of lpg in the intake, because if the mixture is poor, your pistons and valves can melt (don't ask, just trust me).

getting a direct lpg isn't a bad idea, you get power almost the same like driving on gasoline, and you have less chance of having detonations. i will be doing that soon, but now i see, it's so much cheaper here to make it than over there...here the total price of the direct injection lpg with the tank in the back, or in the back up wheel, is around $2200.

BillionPa
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
get the LPG tank that goes where the spare tire does.

ALSO... LPG doesnt have much lubrication, so if you can tune your cars gasoline injection system to inject fuel constantly as if its at idle, and throw a low of FP60 or some other fuel lube in the gas tank, then you will not only have additional power at not much additional cost, but your engine will last longer.

LPG systems like thin weight oil. go for Castrol Syntec 0W30 or Amsoil TSO 0W30.

Morgenster
12-02-2006, 08:39 AM
The aspiration system you're shooting for is the same as what I use. It doesn't quite cut the power that bad. It's just the pickup on accelaration that'll lag some millisecs. That and the rev limit will likely be somewhere around 4500 RPM. That system is just superb for highway driving, but if you do alot of stop & go, you 'll be cussing unless the system is really finely tuned.
The sequential injection systems are way better in that respect.

You M30 has a metallic intake manifold making it less prone to shattering if you get backfires. However, the blast will find something to break anyway. Regular maintenance is even more important when you're using that system because f.i.: a sparkplug that's been in there for too long can cause some serious harm by igniting the mixture before the intake valve is fully closed. (older sparkplugs tend to dissipate heat much slower and can keep an 'afterglow')
Regular batches of injector cleaner in your fuel tank are a good idea too if you want to keep your injectors nice and tidy.

Also, one more tip: if your system allows you to manually switch to LPG while driving, do so while coasting at a higher speed (60+ kmh) with the clutch engaged as if you were braking on the motor. That 'll avoid the pause between Gasoline and LPG to be an annoying thump while driving and be easier on your motor mounts.

Enjoy the fact that it's not just cheaper but also wy better for the environment.

filip00
12-02-2006, 12:15 PM
The aspiration system you're shooting for is the same as what I use. It doesn't quite cut the power that bad. It's just the pickup on accelaration that'll lag some millisecs. That and the rev limit will likely be somewhere around 4500 RPM.

Also, one more tip: if your system allows you to manually switch to LPG while driving, do so while coasting at a higher speed (60+ kmh) with the clutch engaged as if you were braking on the motor. That 'll avoid the pause between Gasoline and LPG to be an annoying thump while driving and be easier on your motor mounts.

Enjoy the fact that it's not just cheaper but also wy better for the environment.

hmm...
here our lpg systems completely remove the rev limiter, and you can rev it up to 7000rpms. although it lacks power after 5500rpms.

i can choose between the auto or manual switching, but i like to do it manually, while driving, i press the clutch, rev the engine up to 3000rpms, hit the button, and continue driving.