PDA

View Full Version : Where can I purchase a Westfalia Hitch??

stilljester
11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Anyone overseas willing to ship one to the US?

attack eagle
12-01-2006, 05:18 AM
ouch, you got more balls than I do... I wouldn't tow any trailer behind mine. not enough power and not enough tranny.

E34-520iSE
12-01-2006, 06:19 AM
I've got the Westfalia kit on my car, it's great! I'm not selling it though, sorry. Best of luck finding one Stilljester, I don't think there are that many of them on e34's here in the UK. Have you tried ebay.co.uk?

Cheers,

Shaun

Derek A.
12-01-2006, 06:33 AM
You can have a local trailer hitch manufacturer build one cheaper than you are going to get it shipped purchased/shipped from overseas. I ended up buying a volvo 240 for $500 to do my towing :)

zmuff
12-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to tow with my e34, the rest of the world tows with them all of the time. Do a search at ebay.de for "anhängerkupplung". Try and find one that comes with the wiring and everything. Shipping may cost you a bit though. I've bought a few things from Germany and have been pleased each time.

brosher
12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I saw a used hitch on ebay germany last night

stilljester
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
ouch, you got more balls than I do... I wouldn't tow any trailer behind mine. not enough power and not enough tranny.

Well once the diesel drivetrain goes in it will be less of an issue

stilljester
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I've got the Westfalia kit on my car, it's great! I'm not selling it though, sorry. Best of luck finding one Stilljester, I don't think there are that many of them on e34's here in the UK. Have you tried ebay.co.uk?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yeah only a bunch of knock-offs - Most people don't seem to want to ship to the States. Not sure why....

stilljester
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
You can have a local trailer hitch manufacturer build one cheaper than you are going to get it shipped purchased/shipped from overseas. I ended up buying a volvo 240 for $500 to do my towing :)

Yup - I'll actually make one myself if I can't find it, but I was thinking why invent the wheel if I can just source the one I want.

stilljester
12-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I saw a used hitch on ebay germany last night

Yeah - I emailed the seller hopefully I'll hear something back.

attack eagle
12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to tow with my e34, the rest of the world tows with them all of the time. Do a search at ebay.de for "anhängerkupplung". Try and find one that comes with the wiring and everything. Shipping may cost you a bit though. I've bought a few things from Germany and have been pleased each time.
yeah but you have a 535 sedan, with a 5 speed. That's way more torque in a much lighter vehicle, and no weaksauce auto.

0-60 in 10 seconds for us brand new, I'm sure yours is down in the 8 second range. The diesel will help a bunch.

E34-520iSE
12-02-2006, 03:10 PM
If I had one to sell then I'd ship it to the US. I don't see any problem - the towbar is a big knarly thing, not easy to damage!

Cheers,

Shaun

stilljester
02-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Still looking.....

Sidney Rough-Diamond
02-16-2007, 01:04 PM
UK eBay has loads listed,one of them must be willing to ship stateside. The probable reason why people from the UK don't bother, is most likely the shipping costs, it really is expensive and usually kills any deal.

I'd buy one off UK eBay for you and ship it, but you'd be better of trying some place local or finding an orginal US car thats being broken for parts and has the BMW part with the removeable hitch.

Try also German eBay, shipping from Germany to the US is a lot cheaper than the UK .Try searching using ' BMW Anhängerkupplung '

oharab
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Does it have to be Westfalia?
I got mine from these guys http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=10435 fitted it & wired it myself and am very happy with it.
For the record, I towed my 5 berth caravan to the south of France & back with my 525 with no problems at all.

Cheers

Ben

stilljester
02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Does it have to be Westfalia?
I got mine from these guys http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=10435 fitted it & wired it myself and am very happy with it.
For the record, I towed my 5 berth caravan to the south of France & back with my 525 with no problems at all.

Cheers

Ben

Thank you for the link - it doesn't have to be but I'd prefer the Westfalia.
The only issue is the Towsure unit is 50kg/1400kg where the Westfalia is 75kg/2100kg. Its not that I'm planning on towing anything huge but I prefer the larger margin of safety.