PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ah! those crazy teens and their junkers...

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Had the day off from work on Wednesday and I was sitting in front of my PC when my 7 year old runs in a says he see's some kids in our yard.

I go to my family room and see this:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294635.jpg

I then go outside and I see 4 teenagers by a 90's Honda Prelude on my lawn, trying desparately to put a spare on the left front.

The speed limit on the road by my house is 25, and there's a curve just before a straightaway:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294641.jpg

He was probably going around 60 to 65 when he lost control and hit the 1 foot tall curb on the right, he bounced off, tried to correct to the right again and hit a gravel protected drain (this is a new development), which then launched him unto my lawn:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294643.jpg

This is where he ended up:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294638.jpg

A good 10 feet on my property. I called the police immediately after I saw them trying desperately to put the spare on (his suspension was damaged, he wasn't going anywhere - it was funny watching them try.)

Continued

Elekta
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
why didn't you just help them change the tire? you could bend their ear the whole time imparting your responsible car upkeep and driving maturity rather than get them a another bill and reprimand and possibly worse treatment from the cops. weren't you a kid once? I hope you don't mess up your cop karma.

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM
More:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294637.jpg

When the police finally came, the kid told him he was going about 35 to 40. The cop took one look and laughed. He said no way could he could crash like that going 35 or 40. He said it was most likely over 60, and I had to agree.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/PB294649.jpg

The kids father came by and started cursing him out, telling him that he was't going to drive that car anymore, and then he told me that his kid would come by and fix the gouges in the lawn (yeah right).

He then tried to drive it out, but his front suspension was torn:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/th_PB294650.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/spyrot1/Honda%20crash/?action=view&current=PB294650.flv)

They ended up waiting 7 hours for a flat bed tow truck... I found it all very amusing.

632 Regal
11-30-2006, 03:39 PM
a lesson learned...how long will he remember it

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
why didn't you just help them change the tire? you could bend their ear the whole time imparting your responsible car upkeep and driving maturity rather than get them a another bill and reprimand and possibly worse treatment from the cops. weren't you a kid once?

I'm an adult now with 2 kids who play in that area, and the last thing I need is for some immature kid killing them.

I was never that immature as a kid... I did not drive like a madman down a residential neighborhood full of kids.

BillionPa
11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
the only place i drive like a madman is on a long stretch with some sharp curves in an industrial/business area at about 11p, 6 hours after everyone (including janitors) have long gone.

McWatters
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey man um i understand that u have kids and that he was being a complete ****ing idiot. but man

That was a ****ing dick move.

you probably ruined that kids life for the next couple years. Calling the cops.. ouch. and u cant say uve never ****ed up and made a mistake. driven off the road, or swerved outta control. and if u are the perfect driver, well by all means , flaunt your ****.

sorry to hear bout the gras...
i hope he does actually come fix it as he should.

o and yea go ahead. call me an ignorant youth.

cheers

J.McWaatters

Elekta
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I have two small kids too. cop karma is karma; that's all I was trying to say

McWatters
11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
i appologzie for my curse words and their direction. just disapointed

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey man um i understand that u have kids and that he was being a complete ****ing idiot. but man

you probably ruined that kids like for the next couple years. Calling the cops.. ouch. and u cant say uve never ****ed up and made a mistake. driven off the road, or swerved outta control. and if u are the perfect driver, well by all means , flaunt your ****.

cheers

J.McWaatters

Like I said, the kid was going 60 in a 25 in a residential area. Yes, I'm a dick for wanting to keep my kids alive, but stupidity is always rewarded. Besides, he wasn't going anywhere, he destroyed his suspension going over the curb.

Besides, I didn't curse him out, his father did that and rightly so.

If you're going to kill yourself doing stupid things, do it somewhere where no one can call the police to save your ass...

we_call_him_doher
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow how ironic to see this post today.

It had just started sleeting and I was driving home and I didn't think anything was frozen over yet, so I was going the speed limit, 40 mph. Apparently bridges HAD started freezing over, and I went over the bridge a mile from my house, lost controll and plowed over the curb....backwards. Cracked my rim and who the hell knows what to my suspension.

Just not my day I guess.

I am glad though that no one called the cops on me.

yaofeng
11-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Calling the police was uncalled for. What was the reason you called the police? Are you concerned about getting your damaged lawn repaired? Even you yourself admitted you didn't have much hope of that after the kid's father show up. Were you not young and stupid at one time? There is no reason to make the situation worse. I am sure the kid felt very bad after the incident. Have some compassion..

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
I have two small kids too. cop karma is karma; that's all I was trying to say

I have no problems with cops as long as they "Protect and Serve", when they give bogus traffic tickets they're a-holes.

RobPatt
11-30-2006, 04:22 PM
...that calling the cops was the only thing done...

not killing someone. 60mph in a residential area...

yeah we were all kids once, and now that we realize how dumb the things we did are we're feeling even greater need to make sure the next round of up and coming drivers... (and parents soon thereafter) don't do the same crazy crap...

...but they probably will... as we (or I) did...

live and learn... live is the key, w/o cutting anyone elses off...

Elekta
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I have no problems with cops as long as they "Protect and Serve", when they give bogus traffic tickets they're a-holes.
maybe I meant citizen karma b/c clearly you have cop karma to spare. My point was, this kid was lucky no one was hurt in his car. you were lucky no one was hurt in your family, no trees were mowed down. you were the only witness. this might have been an opportunity to do some good on your own without an irretractible police record and a 10 year insurance penalty. your call 100%, no offense meant.

hopefully this same kid won't end up so far behind the 8 ball 5 years from now from this early event in his life that he won't decide to hold up the 7-11 when your kids are getting gum. the chance you might have given him might've redirected his life course in a more positive direction. or not.

best

Dr. evil
11-30-2006, 04:34 PM
shouldent have called the cops, poor guy would have had to explain the damage to his dad anyway.

hater

Qube
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
They'll remember this more since the cops came than if you talked their ear off. Residential area high speeding like that is a no-no. I don't care to hear your fart can to say the least. I don't condone speeding, but judgements need to be made so when you kill yourself on a devoid straightaway, it's all your own fault (assuming you don't have dependants! :) )

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Calling the police was uncalled for. What was the reason you called the police? Are you concerned about getting your damaged lawn repaired? Even you yourself admitted you didn't have much hope of that after the kid's father show up. Were you not young and stupid at one time? There is no reason to make the situation worse. I am sure the kid felt very bad after the incident. Have some compassion..

Well, lets see... A car loaded with four teenagers comes crashing onto your yard. You don't know if anyone is hurt:

A) You do nothing thinking that they'll be alright... just kids having fun
B) You rush out and say "wow man! that was the coolest crash I've seen on my property... do it again!
c) You call the cops and say someone just had a major accident on your lawn, someone might be hurt

And yeah, the kid felt real bad, he took out his skateboard and started skating around. I was cool with it, I didn't say a word to him. I just wanted to make sure no one was DEAD!

So you should know, if you crash near my home I'm going to call the cops. Just how it is.

Dr. evil
11-30-2006, 04:40 PM
haters

Montreal525
11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Good call spyrot1.... Especially if they were trying to get the hell out of there... Don't do the crime if you can't do the time... I hope he gets screwed on his insurance. I drive responsably and I have to pay for boneheads like that who care only about having a blast...

Jeff

Elekta
11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
man I hope no space junk that doesn't burn up 100 % in the earth's atmosphere, and breaks thru the clouds right over your house. go rent garp and take the afternoon off. either that or next wednesday listen to npr's sports curmugeon..that guy frank from fairfield

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Good call spyrot1.... Especially if they were trying to get the hell out of there... Don't do the crime if you can't do the time... I hope he gets screwed on his insurance. I drive responsably and I have to pay for boneheads like that who care only about having a blast...

Jeff

I find it very strange that everyone is getting on my case, as if I was the cause of this kids' poor judgement. The kid is not the victim. I have my property damaged, but everyone thinks it's my fault for calling the police. As if I was doing the driving... strange.

People have a weird view of life... some kid crashes onto my property, his car destroyed. I call the police to inform them that an accident just happened on a relatively busy road (that people are always walking on), and everyone gets on my case.

Strange... must be me.

Fetch
11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Spyrot1, I'm 20 years old, and I completely agree with you calling the police in this situation.

I also didn't and don't do many immature things as a 'kid'.

Speeding is one thing, but speeding in a residential area (especially that speed) where children could be out playing, running into the street, is stupid as ****ing hell.

edit: when I say 'speeding is one thing', don't get me wrong, I speed and I speed often.

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey, I heard a rock fell off a cliff on mars during a sandstorm so in all likelyhood this will jepordize the safety of my children.

I'd be pist someone would be exessively speeding in a residential and ruin my grade A kentucky blue grass but I believe problems can be solved amongst the idiot and the victim. Cops are dicks and bring unnessecary stress that the kid already has. I mean, his dad is yelling at him, your yelling at him. Now a cop yells at him. He's gunna have hiked insurance till he's your age.

besides

would any responsible father let their kid play 5ft from a "busy" street.

Oh well your a good dad and that matters alot. Better to be overprotective than neglective.

632 Regal
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
i wasn't going to reply but when I did retarted things I always got my ass reamed by my dad, and cops were always involved. I hated the cops for a long time and not the people calling, just kinda bummed at them.

I learned my lessons very slowly as some can contest to at a bimmer meet a few years back.

Ususally when I messed up it was from some sort of side track, like doing a doughnut at the end of a court to see a flash of cop car behind a building, or when I raced a camaro in the 57 dodge and did doughnut to proclaim victory only to see flashing lights comming my way ( I hoped it was the racing video team but it wasnt )

Or when I picked up a buddy at a bar after having a dozen drinks and scouring down a desolate piece of road doing 130 in the Can-Am while an officer watched me pass by at full speed (he said all he heard was and engine and a flash) He didn't know what to do with me and let me go.

Chances are this kid might not have even got any tickets at all, and if someone come out of controll spilling onto my property I would call the feds too (as ling as it wasnt road condition issues)

If it was your son that you cherished, would you want to know what really happened or just see the car being towed home with your kid saying he had a blowout and slid into a curb?

I think Spy did the right thing in protecting everyone involved, all the way around.

if this goes on with the thrashing I will have to move it off topic, but I will let it run it's course if you guys behave :D (as well as I do) HAHAHA

BlueM60
11-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Spyrot,I totally agree with your decision to call the police and protecting the lives of your children. Im 24 and yes I tend to drive over the speed limit but only in a safe, controlled manner and NEVER in residential areas. I have no compassion for people who do something totally stupid and have to eat crowe for it! Ive done stupid stuff myself, and readily accept the consequences of my actions for doing so. This world seems so full of people who want absolutely no responsibility for their actions. it doesnt work that way and any decent mother/ father will teach that early in life, mine did. My dad would have railed my ass the same way his did and I bet it wouldnt happen again. If I owned a house with a nice yard that I payed my hard earned cash for, Id be pissed if some dick plowed into it off the street because of his inexperienced, ham fisted driving. Sorry for the long post, I just got off work so Im in a rant mood anyway.

-Ben

Montreal525
11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I find it very strange that everyone is getting on my case, as if I was the cause of this kids' poor judgement. The kid is not the victim. I have my property damaged, but everyone thinks it's my fault for calling the police. As if I was doing the driving... strange.

People have a weird view of life... some kid crashes onto my property, his car destroyed. I call the police to inform them that an accident just happened on a relatively busy road (that people are always walking on), and everyone gets on my case.

Strange... must be me.

Just to be sure but I agree with you, 100%... Seems you may have taken my comment the wrong way...

Jeff

Fetch
11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Spyrot,I totally agree with your decision to call the police and protecting the lives of your children. Im 24 and yes I tend to drive over the speed limit but only in a safe, controlled manner and NEVER in residential areas. I have no compassion for people who do something totally stupid and have to eat crowe for it! Ive done stupid stuff myself, and readily accept the consequences of my actions for doing so. This world seems so full of people who want absolutely no responsibility for their actions. it doesnt work that way and any decent mother/ father will teach that early in life, mine did. My dad would have railed my ass the same way his did and I bet it wouldnt happen again. If I owned a house with a nice yard that I payed my hard earned cash for, Id be pissed if some dick plowed into it off the street because of his inexperienced, ham fisted driving. Sorry for the long post, I just got off work so Im in a rant mood anyway.

-Ben

I also drive over the speed limit in a safe controlled manner always, and also NEVER speed in residential areas, this is what I meant by my post.

spyrot1
11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Let me reiterate... I didn't call the cops to bust this kids chops. I called them because there was an accident in front of my house. That is what you do when you witness an accident, you call it in.

I enjoy speeding just as much as anyone else, but I know where to do it and where not to. I enjoy driving my BMW hard and fast (that's why I got it), but you have to temper that with what you do with how it affects others.

I don't believe in rewarding stupidity... that only breeds more stupidity. Hopefully this kid will learn a lesson and become a better person for it... but judging from some of the responses to this thread, i'm not so sure.

PS I shouldn't have to worry about where my kids can play (on my own property), and I really could care less about the grass. If you don't get that, then you're missing something.

Alexlind123
11-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, lets see... A car loaded with four teenagers comes crashing onto your yard. You don't know if anyone is hurt:

A) You do nothing thinking that they'll be alright... just kids having fun
B) You rush out and say "wow man! that was the coolest crash I've seen on my property... do it again!
c) You call the cops and say someone just had a major accident on your lawn, someone might be hurt

And yeah, the kid felt real bad, he took out his skateboard and started skating around. I was cool with it, I didn't say a word to him. I just wanted to make sure no one was DEAD!

So you should know, if you crash near my home I'm going to call the cops. Just how it is.

That was not a major accident, but from the sounds of the skateboarding thing, the cops needed to be called.

bsell
11-30-2006, 11:15 PM

you probably ruined that kids life for the next couple years. Calling the cops.. ouch. and u cant say uve never ****ed up and made a mistake. driven off the road, or swerved outta control. and if u are the perfect driver, well by all means , flaunt your ****.

cheers

J.McWaatters

I think we have all had our 'wild hair' days but I can say I never bent or otherwise damaged any of my cars in my 'younger' days. What I am saying is, there is a difference from 'hauling ass' and driving like an 'idiot'.

I hope the young Honda driver learns a very valuable lesson about his responsibility for the three other lives in the car that day plus all of the pedestrians in the area.

You fuss about calling the cops...what about calling the undertaker and morgue?

bsell
11-30-2006, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=spyrot1]
And yeah, the kid felt real bad, he took out his skateboard and started skating around. I was cool with it, I didn't say a word to him. I just wanted to make sure no one was DEAD! [QUOTE]

Skateboarding after the crash?! Sweet attitude, can't drive or take responsibility for his actions...

I have a couple of 'kids' in my work area like this. I tell you, there is nothing like finishing raising somebody else's kids who are adults.

bmwalfa
11-30-2006, 11:22 PM
heres my 2 cents, im 16 years old, and i would have done the same thing as spyrot, there is a time and a place for speeding, in a residential neighborhood is not one of those places, the cops would have been called anyways with insurance most likely, and if the kid had the arrogance to pull out a skateboard after he just damaged someones property, he deserves it, its commons sense, you dont take a 90's honda balling around corners when you most likely dont have the experience or the machinery to do it properly.

i have idiot freinds too, they know i drive race cars, and have for a long time, they know damn well not to call me if they **** up, because its there problem, they should have thought before they acted, i think 16 year olds should have to retake there driving test every 6 months until there 18, being 16 myself, id like it, its safer for me, and the people who SHOULDNT be driving like this prick, wouldnt be driving

angrypancake
11-30-2006, 11:56 PM
i was on the fence for a bit.

honestly i would have gone out and made sure everyone was ok, that's my first instinct, but i have a decent amount of lifesaving training and all that ****. a mother at work today said "omg is he choking?" about her kid and i flipped out, but whatever.

the kid pulled out his skateboard? sounds to me like he couldve given a **** less. **** him. when you crash your damn car into someones lawn and wreck your suspension, you should have your tail between your legs. Spyrot, did he even apologize to you?

I can understand the cop calling. I would've called too, but after I went out and made sure everyone was ok. If it was minor and the kid just had a flat, maybe I'd've given him a piece of my mind and gotten his father/parent over before he could leave. but it's all in retrospect, and you made your decision on whats best for you and your family. in the end thats what matters.

brodee
12-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Spyrot I'm completely with you on this one. The street I live on has a 20mph limit, people come speeding down it at over 60 because there is a 12' deep dip in the road past my house.

I have a 3 year old son that plays in my yard. I've seen at least 5 cars end up in my yard in the 6 years I've lived here. Everyone has their own opinion on this but those of us with kids have no tolerance for this kind of crap. I call the cops all the time on the idiots going down my street, I even video them to give to the police so it's not my word against them. Hell my neighbor shot a damn arrow clean through both back doors of a car because he kept speeding back and forth.

Do what you want but take it easy around houses. Hell you might get an arrow shot at you :D

CharlesAFerg
12-01-2006, 12:48 AM
would any responsible father let their kid play 5ft from a "busy" street.

Dude, a 25 mph neighbrohood is not a busy street, that's totally irrelatant.

I totally agree with your position spyrot, and I'm 20 and a little crazy, but 60 in a neighborhood is STUPID. If I knew about it I would have been out there waiting with an 870 at the ready.

Another perspective on this though... What if he DIDNT **** up his car, and kept going? Would it stop? No way.

Also, even if he stopped and didn't go anywhere with a perfectly healthy car and the cops came, it wouldn't be as bad for him.

He deserved it all, and that stupid kid is hella lucky to not have killed himself or others.

Oh, and I agree with pancake, riding on a skateboard? What a douche, nothing you can do about that, but it shows the nature of this kid, totally oblivious, I blame his dumbass father for reactionary parenting instead of preventing this behavior.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Too bad these little cum stains escaped Darwin's plot.

kyleN20
12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
weak, could have been handled better in my opinion.

you see someone crashed like that in your front lawn first thing you do is see if everyone is ok. second offer my help, lend them a jack, and tell him how stupid he as as im sure he already realizes. with the car that f-ed his dad is going to kill him anyways and hes going to need a flatbed, but the first thing you do is get on the phone and call the police. i understand completly about your kids being in the neighborhood, but calling the cops dident save your child, it ruins his world, but if thats what your all about then whatever.

i guess im just a little pissed because when in a situation like this it doesent help to pile on, its insult to injury, maybe if you hadent called the cops you would have a very sorry teen repairing your lawn right now?

kyleN20
12-01-2006, 01:08 AM
edit from my previous post, dident know the kid started skating around. but he he did that in the seven hours he was waiting that fine. you snaping away and taking video most likly dident help him feel much better, but whatever i guess. im guessing he dident bomb his car onto your lawn, and then whip out his skateboard and wait for the caps either though

angrypancake
12-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Too bad these little cum stains escaped Darwin's plot.

it's too bad they weren't merely cum stains on a dress. and think about it. out of all those millions of little sperm, that kid was the ****ing winner?! good lord.

btw, fwiw if i wrecked my car into your yard and you came out and started taking pictures i'd be really pissed.

in the same light, it takes pictures of hte damage those ****tards did to your lawn. but still. it's the kid in me battling the responsible adult

the devil and god are raging inside me......

kyleN20
12-01-2006, 01:19 AM
its gods plot, darwin's theroy

kyleN20
12-01-2006, 01:30 AM
ok, iv calmed a bit, and flip floped like john kerry, the way you presented this story spyrot was a little snoody (not the badass game) you made it sound like your young son (inside and in no obvious danger) saw the car on the lawn, not the crash, reported it to you, and after you looked you took a clear "im calling the cops on these *******s" position as you grabed you digital camera to photograph them as they struggle to put their spare on laughing all the way as you said
spyrot:his suspension was damaged, he wasn't going anywhere - it was funny watching them try
expect to get a little flack for the way you presented this, people read only your post and think " what an *******" then you come with the "my kids are in danger and such" and "i wanted to make sure there ok in the accident" and it seems like your covering your own tail a bit. i did not change my mind per say, but i have a better understanding on your point of viwe rather then my inital feeling of "what and *******" and im sorry for thinking you were an *******. hope this clears thing up!

Rigmaster
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
IMHO, Spyrot is 100% correct in this one.

You guys calling him an idiot and an ******* are the ones who have a problem here- the way I see it.

If my son (now 4) ever pulled this ****, I would hope it was in front of Spyrot's yard. Besides his dad yelling at him and the cop writing a report and *maybe* a ticket (do we even know what action the cop took??), this kid did not suffer from this- he probably thinks it's funny as hell and jokes about it with his friends.

I swear sometimes I think I'm gonna start burying busses in my yard and start my own little society- where the penalty for stupidity is instant execution!!! Only problem is, stupid people wouldn't get it- they'd continue their stupid ways, and even if their stupid friends had gotten the penalty- they'd just wonder "Duuuuuuuude, where the hell is everyone??"

Bret Koresh

spyrot1
12-01-2006, 09:08 AM
ok, iv calmed a bit, and flip floped like john kerry, the way you presented this story spyrot was a little snoody (not the badass game) you made it sound like your young son (inside and in no obvious danger) saw the car on the lawn, not the crash, reported it to you, and after you looked you took a clear "im calling the cops on these *******s" position as you grabed you digital camera to photograph them as they struggle to put their spare on laughing all the way as you said
spyrot:his suspension was damaged, he wasn't going anywhere - it was funny watching them try
expect to get a little flack for the way you presented this, people read only your post and think " what an *******" then you come with the "my kids are in danger and such" and "i wanted to make sure there ok in the accident" and it seems like your covering your own tail a bit. i did not change my mind per say, but i have a better understanding on your point of viwe rather then my inital feeling of "what and *******" and im sorry for thinking you were an *******. hope this clears thing up!

My initial post was meant to be informational only. I was being the cub reporter and letting everyone know what happened. Turns out my son witnessed the whole thing. He told me that "he had never seen a car spinning like that before!" He witnessed this kid lose it and come down the street in a 4 wheel drift for about 100 feet, slam into the curb one time before he slammed over the drain and onto my lawn. He destroyed his car and could have killed himself and his three buddys. I looked out the window and saw a car on my lawn that had obviously been in an accident... so I called the cops. That's what you do, at least that's how I was taught.

Now for those people who pissed on me because I called the cops, so be it. If by chance I ever see them in an accident in which they may be hurt... I won't call the cops. I'll just drive right by...

pingu
12-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with you calling the police - the kid chose to drive like a pillock, he's got no-one to blame but himself. He'll have learnt his lesson better for the cops having got involved. And if the kid will now have to pay for insurance - fine - he's clearly immature and dangerous and should pay more.

ryan roopnarine
12-01-2006, 09:16 AM
oops..
i think i just blow'd up your dog with an incendiary tear gas charge
my bad

IMHO, Spyrot is 100% correct in this one.

You guys calling him an idiot and an ******* are the ones who have a problem here- the way I see it.

If my son (now 4) ever pulled this ****, I would hope it was in front of Spyrot's yard. Besides his dad yelling at him and the cop writing a report and *maybe* a ticket (do we even know what action the cop took??), this kid did not suffer from this- he probably thinks it's funny as hell and jokes about it with his friends.

I swear sometimes I think I'm gonna start burying busses in my yard and start my own little society- where the penalty for stupidity is instant execution!!! Only problem is, stupid people wouldn't get it- they'd continue their stupid ways, and even if their stupid friends had gotten the penalty- they'd just wonder "Duuuuuuuude, where the hell is everyone??"

Bret Koresh

Elekta
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
i was on the fence for a bit.

honestly i would have gone out and made sure everyone was ok, that's my first instinct, but i have a decent amount of lifesaving training and all that ****. a mother at work today said "omg is he choking?" about her kid and i flipped out, but whatever.

the kid pulled out his skateboard? sounds to me like he couldve given a **** less. **** him. when you crash your damn car into someones lawn and wreck your suspension, you should have your tail between your legs. Spyrot, did he even apologize to you?

I can understand the cop calling. I would've called too, but after I went out and made sure everyone was ok. If it was minor and the kid just had a flat, maybe I'd've given him a piece of my mind and gotten his father/parent over before he could leave. but it's all in retrospect, and you made your decision on whats best for you and your family. in the end thats what matters.

That's exactly my sentiment. I didn't mean to start a flame war. My first instinct has never been to pick the phone and call the cops; it is always to investigate the matter myself first, though in reality the two steps could have been 10 seconds apart, but that's just me.

Now if this were italy....(stripes reset)

Gayle
12-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Jeff

Second this. If I do the crime, I am willing to do the time. (It is not that I am so smart or have such a perfect record either. I have learned from my dumb ass choices both in the car and out of it). Everyone reaps the consequences of their actions--good and bad. That is the way life is. It is just a learning experience. I think it was Qube who said the driver will get the lesson more if the cops come. What lesson does he get if he drives off and feeds his father a line of BS?

Maybe this experience just saves him from be a future contender for the Darwin award.

I don't see that he is so screwed by insurance. He didn't hit another car. There are no witnesses. I would think this would be low on the insurance point system. Driving with the idea of avoiding higher rates could save his sorry life in the future.

Ross
12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds like the punk has a pretty cavalier attitude, skateboarding and all. Doesn't sound like he learned much. Maybe some injury to himself would have made him understand.
I hope he can't drive until he grows up and Pops gave him a good beating.

Ross
12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
WTF is pillock?

Boone.Msi
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
WHEWW! man last week right before thanksgiving i was trying to drift around that corner, luckily i hit that gravel and slid right over the curb across your yard! Your kids pointed and shouted COOL!!! I called up some local landscapers and had your grass patched up before you came home, glad i wasnt that bastard in the honda!!

but seriously, i see both sides of the story.

1. who the hell races in a neighborhood with tons of witnesses around to put you in jail for wreckless driving.

2. That car looks stock and junked...

3. if you did crash and F up someones yard, wouldnt you go knock on the door and apologize at least?

Calling the cops as harsh as it sounds was the first thing he should have done, And im sure if they would have at least aologized to spyrot he would have been glad to lend a jack and maybe a hand to the kids.

after all spyrot could have sent these kids to court for wreckless driving and maybe even an attempted murder charge? am i right here?

Atl530i
12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I would have done the same thing. When I started driving I never did anything that stupid. I've never done anything that stupid in my life.

It is unfortunate that his car was wrecked bad but it is his own fault. He pretty much got what he deserved, a ticket and yelled at by his father.

inkstom
12-02-2006, 02:01 AM
I've got mixed emotions on this one.

If you don't know how to drive then you shouldn't do it as to maximize the possibility for a darwin award. Then again, here the law is you can't have more than one person in the car that is under 21 that is not related until you're 17.

Then again, when you started drinking alcohol were there times you threw up cause you drank too much? I'm sure there were, and there comes the learning curve. I've wrecked a car before, lost control plenty of times. Luckily though, of the times that I have lost control, nothing or no one have been hurt or destroyed.

As for calling the cops, if you had known the kids, calling the cops would have been completely uncalled for. As for some random kid flying down the road, sideswipes your grass while your children are out in the yard playing, thats an asswhipping in my book.

Being politically correct, I would have walked out in my yard where the kids were, said something like "Hey, come in my house, we need to have a talk." Make sure they understand the situation. Find some creative way to secure some collateral incriminating evidence on the kid, and make him plant the new grass in your yard over the next several weekends, with the understanding that you will report what happened to his parents otherwise.

Yeah, I like that.

PaulJ
12-02-2006, 06:32 AM
As I read the responses to your post, I'm struck by the seeming relative immaturity of some of them. Some posters seem to feel that you should have helped push the car back on the road and smiled as the kid made his way off! I wonder how many of these respondents are fathers and/or property owners? When anyone elects to leave the public right-of-way and trespass in whatever form, he is subject to the judgement of the property owner without exception. It is not a "driving skills" issue but a "respect" issue. This driver left any respect for life and property behind when he broke the speed limit and is subject to whatever form and degree of response he encounters. He got caught. That's REAL LIFE and may come as a surprise to some people! It ain't good or bad, it's just what happens. Many people appear to be unprepared for this for whatever reason these days so when confronted with consequences, no wonder some are bewildered. There are many facets to this incident but considering that you 1) didn't invite the driver onto your property and 2) don't appear to know him or his family, no one should question your action here. My $0.02.

Paul

rickm
12-02-2006, 08:16 AM
My brother and his pals used to drive like that. His GF at the time thought all roads were her personal speedway. Tickets? No big deal, Daddy was going to pay them anyway. Wrecks? 3 in her first year of driving. Dad would get the car towed home (we lived way out in BFE) and he'd get the ins co to fix it (her insurance rates were nuts anyway).

On graduation evening she, my brother, her best friend and her BF took off for the beach. She drove as she normally would. At the back of some heavy equipment. She was a veg for a while, her best friend died and my bro ended up in ICU for 5 weeks.

Would I have called the cops? It depends. I've had 3 people end up in my yard, I have called the cops each time. A good 20' off the roadway is more than a mistake. :)

One thing I have to say...I hear people talking about the cops yelling at the kids. I've had my share of tickets and I've never had a cop yell at me. Quit making crap up, ok?