PDA

View Full Version : Groaning power steering part 2

Mr. BILL
11-29-2006, 11:28 PM
I posted about this about 6 months ago. It's a '90 525 and I would get a groaning noise from the power steering, especially at low speeds. The fluid was foaming quite a bit also.

Today, I finally got around to putting in a new tank. I bled the system several times with the wheels off the ground. Although a bit better, I'm still getting a roaning noise.

Any suggestions? Hoses? Pump?

Thanks

Martin in Bellevue
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
BMA has the seals to rebuild the power steering pump. Worked well on my 535 pump.

Ross
11-30-2006, 05:24 AM
The sounds you describe I believe are the pump cavitating which concurs with the foaming.
Since fluid level is okay and you have bled the system look for another source of air into the system like a bad seal or hose connection on the suction side. Any visible leaks of course are the obvious starting point.
A severe restriction can also cause the noise, like a collapsed hose.
You mentioned a clogged screen in the resevoir. Are you talking about the dished screen under the filler cap? How did that get clogged?

Mr. BILL
11-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Ross, thanks for the reply. I was assuming the screen in the old tank was clogged. It may not have been since changing it out didn't solve the problem. I will clean everything up and keep an eye on it to see if I can determine where the leak is coming from.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the pump area, so I'll pay particular attention to that. The whole assembly was so wet, it was hard to tell where it was leaking from.

Which side is the suction side, the big hose?

Thanks again

632 Regal
11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
yes, big is suction, small is pressure side.

Which side is the suction side, the big hose?

Mr. BILL
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Thank you

inkstom
11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I had the groaning noise too, it was my water pump bearings goin out.