PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable buffer opinions please ...

gale
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I need to buy a new buffer. Any preference for a Porter Cable 7424 vs. a 7428?

markus
11-29-2006, 11:09 PM
i duno but griots garage sells a kit im considering buying in the future.

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Don, i prefer the lighter weight and smaller size of the 7424. I originally bought it in the random orbit sander kit and then got the adapter to convert to polisher. These guys put the pads on sale every so often and i picked up a number of them before at a really good price. Now i keep them seperated according to what grit polishing compound, wax, glaze etc.
(http://www.properautocare.com/74uldema.html)

I need to buy a new buffer. Any preference for a Porter Cable 7424 vs. a 7428?

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-30-2006, 12:39 AM
PC 7424 Buy the 6' counterweight, a 6inch pad with a 5' counterweight doesnt match up and will cause unnecessary vibration damaging the finish and the rotor in the machine.

1. wash car with dawn soap
2. clay bar
3. sandwhich bag technique
4. 3M finesse It formula with a Yellow CMA pad
5. 3M Swirl Mark Remover with a Yellow CMA pad
6. P21S Paint Gloss Enhancer with a White CMA pad
7. Z5&ZFX mix and wax
8. Add in a bunch of Z6 treatments
9. Shiniest BMW on the block for 6-8 months

gale
11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

BTW what's the "sandwich bag" technique?

Bill R.
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
some compound on them you store them in ziplock plastic bags ,even after you rinse them out. I have bags labeled with each different wax or compound that the pad inside contains to avoid cross contamination

gamjohn2
11-30-2006, 10:52 AM
"8. Add in a bunch of Z6 treatments"

Can someone please clarify this step for me?? Thanks.

gamjohn2

Alexlind123
11-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Finally, a detailing thread. I was beginning to think no one ever waxed their car.

TC535i
11-30-2006, 11:01 AM

gamjohn2

same as Z5 and ZFX... Zaino Brothers products. http://www.zainostore.com/

CharlesAFerg
11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Finally, a detailing thread. I was beginning to think no one ever waxed their car.

Hey now... I'll meet up with you and we can clean up your car soon, hopefully.

fkong777
11-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Get the Meguiars DA polisher. It is the same PC polisher but relabel as meguiars product. It comes with Pad set and lifetime warranty. PC only offer 90 days I believe. You will need to get the backing plate and pad anyways if you get the PC from lowes.

This is what I use. Meguiars speed glaze #80 to get rid of all the swirls. This product was designed for the PC buffer. Its awesome. then top it off with NXT tech wax. Clay before all that if your paint feel gritty to the touch.

zman-95-540i
11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
z6 is a spray on gloss enhancer. You are supposed to use it after putting on Z5 or between applications (e.g., after washing your car between applications of Z5). It's good stuff. Smells good too.

Robin-535im
11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
It's good stuff. Smells good too.

I use it as perfume... that and Mobile 1.

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-30-2006, 02:15 PM

lol well, you wash your car with dawn soap to remove the wax. Alot of people get confused with wax, thinking it shines up the car, all it does is protect. This is why you clay bar right after a dawn wash, it removes all the impurities off the paint, but use it with lubrication. You dont have to buy the certified lube for 15$ or whatever I just use a little water mixed with Z7.

But anywho, you take one of those thin sandwhich bags put your fingers in it and run it along your car, the car is supposed to feel smooth, no bumps. Any slight imperfection you can feel doing this, and when you do, clay bar it.

gamjohn2

Z6 Is a quick detail gloss enhancer. Smells wonderful and I love it. You can use it basically anytime you want. I polish my car 3 different times and after each treatment i wipe it down with Z6. It basically adds a little extra shine and "mirror effect" and smells great. 1oz of the stuff is more than enough to detail your entire car.