PDA

View Full Version : Qs on the M60 and rebuilds.

yy101
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Tried to do a search on M60 rebuilds. Basically mine is coming along nicely, its about 18,000km from 200,000kms. It runs fine and all, but I want to know when is a good time to rebuild it? Should it be a preventative rebuild say at 250,000 or 300,000kms? Or just drive it till it starts to loosen up or when it brakes something inside?

winfred
11-29-2006, 08:45 PM
feed it good oil in a timely manner service the cooling system and take care of the various leaks vacuum/oil/coolant and it will probably out live the car it's bolted to, one thing to do if it's not been checked is the looseness of the oil pump bolts, the pump can literally fall off and starve the engine

Traian
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
eek, you're barely past 100 miles and you're worried about a rebuild??? You know, the more I drive my car the more I feel that BMW is an engine company above all else. To me the M60 is an absolute jewel. I don't get to drive many expensive new cars, but of all the cars I have driven nothing even comes close in terms of sound, refinement, power, anything you can think of... and mine has 270 kms on it.

Watch I say this and tomorrow a conrod snaps... (uh oh, fingers crossed, knock on wood, pray to the stars haha)

Antrieb
11-29-2006, 11:43 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608580

Ask away :)

yy101
11-30-2006, 12:42 AM
eek, you're barely past 100 miles and you're worried about a rebuild??? You know, the more I drive my car the more I feel that BMW is an engine company above all else. To me the M60 is an absolute jewel. I don't get to drive many expensive new cars, but of all the cars I have driven nothing even comes close in terms of sound, refinement, power, anything you can think of... and mine has 270 kms on it.

Watch I say this and tomorrow a conrod snaps... (uh oh, fingers crossed, knock on wood, pray to the stars haha)

I am confident that the m60 can make it 300 to 400k clicks just on good maintenance and servicing, but I was just asking the question whether peeps here do rebuilds on it based on a mileage interval or a till it breaks mentality.

rob101
11-30-2006, 02:12 AM
post your compression test results. I am sure then you will get everyone here telling you that you are nuts. Something I already know.

Spasso
11-30-2006, 05:12 PM
, but I was just asking the question whether peeps here do rebuilds on it based on a mileage interval or a till it breaks mentality.
My experience has been, as the mileage builds up on an engine it loses power, gets noisy, runs rough and starts to leak. I ran a Datsun 240z (straight six) to the point where the compression was so low I had to use starting fluid to get it running every morning and everyday afternoon after work. It was a daily driver.

Nothing ever broke, it just wore out.

When I finally did change the engine I tore apart the old one and measured up to .0011" bore to piston clearance on numerous cylinders. It should be .003 to .005" max new.
The rings were completely worn out and a few were cracked.

So my point is, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT".

Why create an uneccessary expense, an expensive one at that, to your budget if it isn't required? Save your money for the transmission job and suspension rebuild you'll be doing in the future instead.

There comes a point when running a tired old sick engine will no longer be economical from a practical standpoint, (i.e. dumping gallons of oil in it per week). You'll know it when the time comes. In the mean time, DRIVE!!

632 Regal
11-30-2006, 09:58 PM
16 pages is too much to surf around for the story... was interesting to say the least the first 2 pages...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608580

Ask away :)

markus
11-30-2006, 10:22 PM
damn that thread is hurting my head reading it

Antrieb
11-30-2006, 11:41 PM
cliff notes...

got a new 530!

$hit.. but on the way home.. there was oil in coolant and coolant in the oil

why didn't the owner tell me

oh wait.. it's not that bad.. we'll make it a nice project

got the parts.. putting it together

$hit.. won't start

we'll figure it out.. probably something small

damnit.. still can't figure it out..

Running out of time .. getting colder...

Bought the correct tools to set the timing, turns out one head was 180 off

Started right up :)

Basically if you need any help rebuilding it, you can ask me. I kind of knew what I was doing :)

Traian
12-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Did you still put in the 4.0L in the end?

Antrieb
12-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Me? No, not yet. I'm waiting for a local one with low miles to pop up so I don't have to deal with shipping. No rush, my 3.0L is so much quicker than my old m20 525i.

mattyb
12-01-2006, 10:07 AM
maaaaaaaaaaaate! its just run in!