PDA

View Full Version : The 35c fix !

Zeuk in Oz
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
As some of you will know, I recently added a '99 528iT to the fleet and all in all it is a very nice car to drive. (Yes I know, its an E39, but I've still got my E34.)

The E 39 is nice...........Except for the rattling / squeaking doors ! They have been driving me crazy.

Imagine BMW building such a nice car and stuffing up with the doors.

Tried a silicone spray on the door rubbers with no effect, but then following some advice I gleaned on another forum regarding this problem, I had a good look at the door locks and noticed that the cylindrical part of the lock attached to the door frame was worn on all 4 doors and wagon hatch.

I then proceeded to wrap some black insulation tape around all the cylinders and hey presto - problem fixed.

The car is now silent as it should be.

I wonder if this was the reason why they sold it ?

GJPinAU
11-29-2006, 09:53 PM
You nearly had an overnight visitor on Tuesday.

I was at a meeting in Camden and my coolant bottle hose blew off.
The NRMA guy fixed it but not without completely stuffing the engine cover. Now I have to replace the mounts for the stupid plastic cover (around AU$70 ea) again! :( Need to give Patrick (BMA) a bell.
My mechanic is also going to look at trying to make the later model cover mount system work on it (clips etc).
Had the engine tested (just in case) and all was OK.

cheers,
Greg

brosher
11-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Hmm, I drove an 01 323i a few months ago and that thing rattle a TON.

Zeuk in Oz
11-30-2006, 01:50 AM
You nearly had an overnight visitor on Tuesday.

I was at a meeting in Camden and my coolant bottle hose blew off.
The NRMA guy fixed it but not without completely stuffing the engine cover. Now I have to replace the mounts for the stupid plastic cover (around AU$70 ea) again! :( Need to give Patrick (BMA) a bell.
My mechanic is also going to look at trying to make the later model cover mount system work on it (clips etc).
Had the engine tested (just in case) and all was OK.

cheers,
Greg
Any time Greg - always a spare bedroom !

You know how to contact me.

Mind you, the place looks like a German car convention at the moment - both bimmers, Judy's ML 270 and we are minding my sisters E240T while she is overseas.

Plenty of extra parking space though !

bigtisas
11-30-2006, 05:09 AM
You may want to send this feedback to BMW. BMW is a good car but there are a list of annoying minor problems like this one, door brake, radiator, etc. Their engineers should have fixed them.

BillionPa
11-30-2006, 03:53 PM
after i took my engine cover off, i never bothered to put it back on. been that way for about a year, and just sounds cooler!

rob101
11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
door brake? i think the problem is users who don't know anything about lubrication. It is not a problem unique to bmws

Stacy (Sydney)
11-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Good to hear there's a solution. I noticed your mention further down about a merc - my next car could be a mid 90's e-class or an e39. My impression is that the e-class has superior build quality - sounds like your current driveway would make your opinion an informed one.

Zeuk in Oz
11-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Good to hear there's a solution. I noticed your mention further down about a merc - my next car could be a mid 90's e-class or an e39. My impression is that the e-class has superior build quality - sounds like your current driveway would make your opinion an informed one.
No contest.

From a driver's point of view, the E39 (admittedly with sports suspension) is much nicer to drive than the W210 in elegance form.

The Merc is nice enough, but not a patch on the bimmer !

Russell
11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
did the same on my e-34. helped with rattle over hard edged bumps. Also lubricate the door gaskets with a rubber lubricant. The e39s had a problem. So do teh e60s. BMW Gummi-pledge, a jelly like lube in a tube was the best olution for the e34 and e39. It is no longer available in the US. Perhaps in your country.