PDA

View Full Version : Akebono ceramic brake pads on the front

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 12:05 AM
2 Weeks of driving with the akebono ceramics on the front and the stock pads on the rear

Jehu
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
That's some real stealth tread you've got going on there.

Gayle
11-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Am I understanding these pictures correctly? The ceramics are that much cleaner?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
my Raybestos QS VS. the old Padgid front and Jurid rear pads.

Nice and clean...Cheated my boys are out of a Saturday job.

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
I cleaned both the front and the back 2 weeks ago when i put the akebono ceramics on the front. The results speak for themselves. Normally my fronts dust much worse than the backs, typically the fronts would be black by now.

Yes, the akebono ceramics are that much cleaner as compared to the stock pagid pads that were on this car. This is the 3 series touring that my wife drives with the stock brake pads on the rear and I changed the fronts for the first time and got rid of those pagid's. Braking performance is as good or better than the pagids without nearly the dust.

Am I understanding these pictures correctly? The ceramics are that much cleaner?

Gayle
11-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Wow! After I made that last post I was thinking about how the fronts should be dirtier and wondering if they started off equally clean two weeks ago.

You are giving me break pad longing. I have got to lose the metal masters.

Alan_525i
11-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I have had the Akebono Ceramics for 5 months now and have had similar results. I like them a lot. Beat on them pretty hard during a mountain drive in October and they held up great.

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 12:38 AM
same response, The only difference being that this year i've installed a lot more akebono pads and have decided that they are quite a bit better than the Raybestos QS which used to be my favorites a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately they still don't make Akebonos for every application.

Old Thread here
(http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14845)

Wow! After I made that last post I was thinking about how the fronts should be dirtier and wondering if they started off equally clean two weeks ago.

You are giving me break pad longing. I have got to lose the metal masters.

Gayle
11-29-2006, 12:45 AM
same response, The only difference being that this year i've installed a lot more akebono pads and have decided that they are quite a bit better than the Raybestos QS which used to be my favorites a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately they still don't make Akebonos for every application.

Old Thread here
(http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14845)

Yeah, I remember that thread. I decided the metal masters weren't eating the rotors afterall and that I could live with the rumble so I haven't done anything yet. I also remember that I decided when the metal masters wore out that I would replace them with Akebonos. This thread just reiginited my wish for new brake pads. And now I am reminding myself that other things are more of a priority.

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I remember that thread. I decided the metal masters weren't eating the rotors afterall and that I could live with the rumble so I haven't done anything yet. I also remember that I decided when the metal masters wore out that I would replace them with Akebonos. This thread just reiginited my wish for new brake pads. And now I am reminding myself that other things are more of a priority.

Gayle
11-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Blitzkrieg Bob --This is your cue to say "step away from the mod and no one will get hurt" and to start posting links to 12 step programs for compulsive modders.

TC535i
11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Who sells em? They make em for 540?

Once I get these wheels blinged up, I know I won't be cleaning em THAT often, I should get something low-dust...

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 01:02 AM
any number of import parts houses.

Who sells em? They make em for 540?

Once I get these wheels blinged up, I know I won't be cleaning em THAT often, I should get something low-dust...

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Blitzkrieg Bob --This is your cue to say "step away from the mod and no one will get hurt" and to start posting links to 12 step programs for compulsive modders.

this is just better braking...It's cool..no drilled or sloted rotors..painted calipers...

it's not 22 inches of pimp'n wheels, LED disco lights, goal post rear spoilers or Ms, ASs, Alpina on old M20 5s. (dressing up grandma for the red light zone)

Remember what Nancy Regan said "Just say No"

632 Regal
11-29-2006, 01:17 AM
so your sold on the Akebonos being a better choice than the Raybestos QS? whats the difference being in your oppinion?

I got the rays and think their the cats ass...not that I care for a cats ass but just wondering.

think the 850 has shitty dusty crap goin on and want to get'er done before I go beat its ass a bit.

Gayle
11-29-2006, 01:39 AM
this is just better braking...It's cool..no drilled or sloted rotors..painted calipers...

it's not 22 inches of pimp'n wheels, LED disco lights, goal post rear spoilers or Ms, ASs, Alpina on old M20 5s. (dressing up grandma for the red light zone)

Remember what Nancy Regan said "Just say No"

But Bob, I already have cross drilled rotors and I want painted calipers. Brake pads lead to harder stuff.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-29-2006, 01:56 AM
But Bob, I already have cross drilled rotors and I want painted calipers. Brake pads lead to harder stuff.

under functional and responsible conditions. ...Then I'd have to say that you may be able to use Akebono pads responsibly, but you should monitor your feelings and be honest with your desire for things that make feel younger & look "faster" without in realilty doing either.

How was your relationship with your mother?

BillionPa
11-29-2006, 03:03 AM
polymer coated calipers with stainles steel pistons is where its at!

Bill R.
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
They are both a good pad, and its a hard distinction to make but if you drove them both for a week, you'd notice a slight difference between them in pedal feel and stopping ability. I've been a proponent of the QS pads for a long time and these are the first pads i've found that seem to have a slight edge over the QS.

so your sold on the Akebonos being a better choice than the Raybestos QS? whats the difference being in your oppinion?

I got the rays and think their the cats ass...not that I care for a cats ass but just wondering.

think the 850 has shitty dusty crap goin on and want to get'er done before I go beat its ass a bit.

fkong777
11-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I ran a lot of pad with owning a e34 since 1993. I just install akebono euro pads on the M-sport. They are great. minimal dust. I would say 80% cleaner than previous pads which was Jurid pads. Jurid made my wheels BLACK in 2 days.

I had Mintex Axxis and Ray-QS on my 525ia
Axxis pretty clean and stops great.
Mintex - dusty and sometimes squeals. ruined the chrome on my ACS wheels.
QS - they were pretty dustless at first but after half life they dust a lot too.