PDA

View Full Version : So who wanted a cheap CF hood?

Anton CH.
11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Now you can make one. Instructions as a curtesy of hondatech :)
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1033872

Atl530i
11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
That actually looks really good. I'm impressed.

Macv
11-29-2006, 06:32 AM
I thought the idea of Carbon Fiber was to lessen the weight. Not add more by just wrapping on CF.

Looked good I guess, but not for the e34.

Jon K
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
the vacuum bagged a mold. there's no metal hood in there.

filip00
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I thought the idea of Carbon Fiber was to lessen the weight. Not add more by just wrapping on CF.

Looked good I guess, but not for the e34.

what do you mean? it's not like you can't add half a pound of paint, and make it look stock :) no one needs to know your car is 100kg less weight than it should be :) - you can do all your doors and hoods CF. i'd do that...

neil_004
11-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I wouldnt do the doors. The CF isnt very shock resistant. A side impact that you would have survived with metal doors would probably kill you with CF replacements. Plus adding all the mounting points for the window lifters, trim and latches would be very difficult.

filip00
11-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I wouldnt do the doors. The CF isnt very shock resistant. A side impact that you would have survived with metal doors would probably kill you with CF replacements. Plus adding all the mounting points for the window lifters, trim and latches would be very difficult.

i agree. but think of the kilos saved! :) especially if you go nuts and make an m6 roof style -> CF roof :)

Jon K
11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
i agree. but think of the kilos saved! :) especially if you go nuts and make an m6 roof style -> CF roof :)

Guys this single layer CF vacuum bag is for appeareance only and is NOT structural. I have done little stuff in the past, and I can say that for a structural piece you'd need 3 or 4 ply CF 2x2 twill with a wafer matting between 2 layers and then you need heat treatment as it cures. Structural CF parts are EXTREMELY expensive to make.

Anton CH.
11-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't see why you can't use this for a hood. It's not like it needs to be mechanically strong.

Macv
11-29-2006, 03:08 PM
the vacuum bagged a mold. there's no metal hood in there.

Ahh i see, thanks.

Call me a jackass.

Michael999
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Guys this single layer CF vacuum bag is for appeareance only and is NOT structural. I have done little stuff in the past, and I can say that for a structural piece you'd need 3 or 4 ply CF 2x2 twill with a wafer matting between 2 layers and then you need heat treatment as it cures. Structural CF parts are EXTREMELY expensive to make.

What do you mean vacuum bag is for appearance only? Vacuum bags are simply used to help with interesting shapes and curves, it wont make it look nice in slightest, as it will hug into the weave and simply give a rippled shiny effect, as opposed to the matt finish you get when it is allowed to cure without a moulding surface. Neither surface suitable for a "finish"

You dont need heat treatment with CF, just use epoxy or polyester resin, exactly like fibreglass.

If your not "too" concerned about extreme weight loss, a mix of CF and FG is ideal.
CF on both sides for the "im cool" factor, and then a few layers of FG on the inside to add thickness and strength.
Remember CF is paper thin, it has HEAPS of tensile strength, but it will still be very easily broken. So unless you plan on using HEAPS of layers, it will crack when some idiot sits on your hood.

I dont think that wafer matting would be at all neccessary, just 5-6 layers of woven roving fibreglass inbetween. Will be very strong, and still almost as lite as the full CF.

:)

Jon K
11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
What do you mean vacuum bag is for appearance only? Vacuum bags are simply used to help with interesting shapes and curves, it wont make it look nice in slightest, as it will hug into the weave and simply give a rippled shiny effect, as opposed to the matt finish you get when it is allowed to cure without a moulding surface. Neither surface suitable for a "finish"

You dont need heat treatment with CF, just use epoxy or polyester resin, exactly like fibreglass.

If your not "too" concerned about extreme weight loss, a mix of CF and FG is ideal.
CF on both sides for the "im cool" factor, and then a few layers of FG on the inside to add thickness and strength.
Remember CF is paper thin, it has HEAPS of tensile strength, but it will still be very easily broken. So unless you plan on using HEAPS of layers, it will crack when some idiot sits on your hood.

I dont think that wafer matting would be at all neccessary, just 5-6 layers of woven roving fibreglass inbetween. Will be very strong, and still almost as lite as the full CF.

:)

For strength you heat cure the resin and epoxy. My friend does this sort of work for an Audi tuner.