PDA

View Full Version : lower my 525?

FLYNSHU
04-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Anyone have any opinion on cutting the front spring to lower the front an inch or so? I just put some 18's on and the front fender has too much gap! Would it do any damage to cut them for a temporary fix until I can raise the cach to do it properly??

Any response will help. Thanks :p

632 Regal
04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
you can get some Bav Auto springs for like 200 bux, I'm sure someone has cut their springs but if you think about it all your gonna do is lower the height. Every bump you hit will bottom the suspension because the spring rate is not increased.

califblue
04-18-2004, 06:00 PM
SACHS kit form BMA...PERIOD :p

FLYNSHU
04-18-2004, 06:21 PM
SACHS kit form BMA...PERIOD :p
Im from Canada. can you give me more info about this product SACHS?

Mediablitz
04-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Why is it that being from Canada is used as an excuse. This web-site was created by a Canadian.

Good Grief. SACHS BILSTEINS BOGE

Karl
04-18-2004, 10:25 PM
actually, cutting the springs will increase the spring rate because the number of turns in the coil is a factor in the spring rate equation. For example, if your coil has six turns and you cut one out, you increase the spring rate by a factor of 6/5. I've done it on older cars with success. But springs are readily available for these cars. And I'd recommend changing to sport shocks to damp the greater spring rate from either cutting or replacing your springs.

632 Regal
04-18-2004, 11:26 PM
cut 6 rings to 5, springrate increases. car height decreases 2.5 inches increasing instant pressure that 4" of travel cant compensate for. your right, springs are redily available.

Russell
04-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Purpose of this post?

Bill R.
04-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Why is it that being from Canada is used as an excuse. This web-site was created by a Canadian.

Dave M
04-19-2004, 10:25 AM
lots of things, like being impartial and propagating american beer jokes.

But seriously, back to the original question. I am in Canada, and have both cut my front springs for a temporary 'fix' (not the first car I've done this to)and replaced my suspension when I had the funds. Below are photos of the results of both. I think you'll find that by cutting one coil (all you can really do, can't cut halves) the drop is improved, but not as nice as a real sport spring drop in both handling and aesthetics. However, it is improved and I had no trouble with bottoming out as others have suggested, also no trouble with tracking or allignment. Its really no skin off your back if you have the time and a kevlar cuting wheel on a dremmel tool. I say go for it if you wish, in the least you'll learn the ins and outs of your suspension and be able to blast through your new suspension when you want more drop/handling in the future. I had fun doing it and ignored the rants of others who've never cut their springs but claim to know why not to.

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Hunting%20Accident/CAR-2.jpg

One coil cut (please excuse the damage)

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/5erbriggs5.jpg

Eibachs and Boges

Regarding sources for parts, I agree that ordering from the states can become expensive unless you have help from the shipper (ask them how to make it cheaper, trust me, it sometimes works) so the Sachs kit may become well above $1000 Can landed). I went with Eibach's Pro-Kit from a supplier in Calgary and picked it up on a visit there. It was @$400 Can. I ordered my Boges from BMA and paid $75 US each, almost no duty ect.

Good Luck