PDA

View Full Version : Anybody resynched the door locks succesfully?

TC535i
11-28-2006, 12:54 PM
The rear pass door on the new car will lock/unlock by hand, but not with the rest of the doors via key. Gonna try the synch procedure, but according to this post (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=25304) it only works on the pass side door, not the driver's side? Is that right? My pass side door doesn't currently want to turn to the lock position... so hopefully that's just one situation?

Anybody ever have this fix their problem? Which door did you use?

Bill R.
11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
passenger side to manually open or to sychronize. On the earlier cars you could use either side.

The rear pass door on the new car will lock/unlock by hand, but not with the rest of the doors via key. Gonna try the synch procedure, but according to this post (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=25304) it only works on the pass side door, not the driver's side? Is that right? My pass side door doesn't currently want to turn to the lock position... so hopefully that's just one situation?

Anybody ever have this fix their problem? Which door did you use?

TC535i
11-28-2006, 01:20 PM
passenger side to manually open or to sychronize. On the earlier cars you could use either side.

Hmm... not the answer I was looking for. :(

Guess I'll have to fiddle with that pass side lock some more and hope I can convince it to turn rearward!

Bill, any input on the use of WD40 to help clean up a sticky door lock, followed by some graphite?

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
just use graphite powder, stick the key in the powder and stick it in the lock and turn it a few times.

Hmm... not the answer I was looking for. :(

Guess I'll have to fiddle with that pass side lock some more and hope I can convince it to turn rearward!

Bill, any input on the use of WD40 to help clean up a sticky door lock, followed by some graphite?

JerseySi
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
On my blue one (December '88 Euro), the lock sync procedure works on both drivers & passengers door (although to little effect - the back door actuators are shafted i think :lol: )

On my white one though (June '88 Euro model), I don't even have deadlocking - just 'standard' door locks - turn key 45degrees one way to lock, 45 degrees other way to unlock, the locks physically won't turn past that, doorhandle up or down..

Sorry for the unhelpful post :lol:

TC535i
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
just use graphite powder, stick the key in the powder and stick it in the lock and turn it a few times.

Lock won't even turn :(

Vanguard
11-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I'd try some pbblaster or Aerokroil. Inject some with using the tube that comes with the can and then go have a beer or two. Then try the lock again after half an hour or so.

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
neither way?
Lock won't even turn :(

TC535i
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
neither way?
It'll only unlock from the pass side, and only lock from the driver side. :(

TC535i
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd try some pbblaster or Aerokroil. Inject some with using the tube that comes with the can and then go have a beer or two. Then try the lock again after half an hour or so.

You see the San Diego meet thread for this weekend?

Vanguard
11-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I did. I don't think I be able to attend though. We've got a busy weekend as we're trying to sell our house.

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 02:02 PM
lol...that sucks. Try the graphite working it in the way that it does turn, might help?
It'll only unlock from the pass side, and only lock from the driver side. :(

TC535i
11-28-2006, 02:04 PM
lol...that sucks. Try the graphite working it in the way that it does turn, might help?

Worth a shot anyways!

Where does one find graphite powder?

ryan roopnarine
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Worth a shot anyways!

Where does one find graphite powder?

au-tow zone, checkers, kragen, discount auto parts, any of those places.

TC535i
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
au-tow zone, checkers, kragen, discount auto parts, any of those places.

Hmm... I always thought it came as a liquid in a tube. Guess I'll look closer!

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
I have like a 2lb can full of the dry stuff, real slippery.
Hmm... I always thought it came as a liquid in a tube. Guess I'll look closer!

TC535i
11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Got the rear to do it, and I heard all the locks make noise a second time... but that didn't fix it. :(

Guess something's wrong with the lock itself...

Also, the key STILL will only turn in those directions after jiggling it for a while. Since it's lock one way and unlock the other way, it seems the same "side" of the key is responsible for not engaging. Maybe a new key would do me good?

Aren't the EWS (gold) keys really expensive tho? :(

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 10:38 PM
just did mine today (after realizing in this thread it only works on pass side ) and didnt get the check control warning yet.