PDA

View Full Version : onboard computer in instrument cluster plays havoc!!

bbart
11-28-2006, 04:55 AM
My onboard computer in instrument cluster is driving me up the wall.

I had my E34 checked at my BMW dealer after repeated 'bleeps' and display of the message "HANDBRAKE ON" and "OWNER'S HANDBOOK". The dealer told me my instrument cluster needed to be replaced and that this was a typical thing.

Lately, my wipers have been known to move all by itself with the car turned of, parked and locked!!. After some investigating in the fuse box i found fuses 1, 17 and 20 all refer to the both the instrument cluster as well as the onboard computer. Moreover, fuse 1 is for the wipers. So i took fuse 1 out. Problem solved, but my brakelights don't work (also fuse 1) and my onboard computer doesn't work either.:( My wipers don't move either, AAHH)

I also found that with fuse 1 taken out, the car doesn't sputter and the engine shuts down in reverse. This is another problem i'm having. Whenever the car is in reverse, the engine shuts down, loses RPM's and sputters at best.:(

Other problems i've had are continuous bleeping of instrument cluster and notices such as "SUSP LEVELLING" and "CHECK COOLANT".

My guess? It's all related to the onboard computer in the instrument cluster

Can any of you please tell me what exactly i need to replace and what estimated costs come to? Thank you.

Bart

PS does anyone know how the CLOCK/TRIP computer (TIME, DATE, HOUR, MEMO, and other strange buttons..) in middle console on the dash works??

billy
11-28-2006, 05:24 AM
put the fuses back in, then unplug ur check control module which is under your hood/bonnet and see if you still get the warnings

BMWCCA1
11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
You might also consider editing your subject line for the sake of those attempting to use the Search function on this list. What you're describing is not the On Board Computer, but the instrument cluster Check Control display. From your description, it sounds like you don't have an OBC, just the multi-function clock. Do you have an owner's manual/handbook?

bigtisas
11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
PS does anyone know how the CLOCK/TRIP computer (TIME, DATE, HOUR, MEMO, and other strange buttons..) in middle console on the dash works??

The instruction is in the owner's manual. Here's an online version.

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/