PDA

View Full Version : 1989 535i Trip Odometer Reset Question

gcraiga
04-18-2004, 04:27 PM
I recently purchased a 1989 535i with 105K Miles on it... My first BMW. The car is in excellent shape except for a few minor problems.

One problem is that the trip meter seems to reset itself about 75% of the time once I shut off the engine and remove the key. The odometer still works perfectly though.

Now that I've been driving the car for about a month I have noticed that when the trip meter resets the OBC warnings for "KEY IN IGNITION" and "LIGHT ON?" do not show up once the engine is off. When these warnings come up, the trip meter will work on next startup. All functions of the LCD work fine when the engine is on.

Could this be a battery problem with the dashboard? Does anyone know anything about this type of problem or if it's expensive to fix?

Also, I have a few general questions about the car.
- What type of gas do I need to use for best performence/economy?
- The previous owner used Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic oil. What is the best replacement schedule for this type of oil?

Finally, I live in the South Bay Los Angeles area (Hermosa Beach). Can anyone recommend a good independent BMW mechanic down here?

Thanks,

Craig

632 Regal
04-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Could this be a battery problem with the dashboard? Does anyone know anything about this type of problem or if it's expensive to fix?
PROBABLY A CAPACITOR

89 NON CHIPPED, 91+ IF CHIPPED

- The previous owner used Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic oil. What is the best replacement schedule for this type of oil?
6000-8000 MILES, REPLACE FILTER ONCE BETWEEN

thats all I got for ya.

Suede
04-18-2004, 10:42 PM
The work on my 1990 535iM is done by Harry's Jaguar, 505 PCH HB.

He worked on my 1983 733iM until it went into retirement, running strong but no a/c and no exhaust system.

Ask for Harry. Tell him Mark sent you.

Suede

Scott E
04-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Mardikian Automotive Ctr
1431 Aviation Blvd, Redondo Beach, CA 90278 (310) 376-4906

They are very knowledgable about the e34 and labor rates are very resonable. Ask for Peter and tell him I sent you.

Warren N.CA
04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Check the link http://www.bmwe34.net

I just switched to Mobile 1 0W40 in both my '89 535i and '90 325is. Both cars run better and smoother using this oil. It provides the best protection of the engine during a cold startup because it pours like water when cold.

I recently purchased a 1989 535i with 105K Miles on it... My first BMW. The car is in excellent shape except for a few minor problems.

One problem is that the trip meter seems to reset itself about 75% of the time once I shut off the engine and remove the key. The odometer still works perfectly though.

Now that I've been driving the car for about a month I have noticed that when the trip meter resets the OBC warnings for "KEY IN IGNITION" and "LIGHT ON?" do not show up once the engine is off. When these warnings come up, the trip meter will work on next startup. All functions of the LCD work fine when the engine is on.

Finally, I live in the South Bay Los Angeles area (Hermosa Beach). Can anyone recommend a good independent BMW mechanic down here?

Thanks,

Craig

gcraiga
04-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Is replacing the capacitors something that a service technician can do? I understand what needs to be done in theory, but I'm worried that I'd ruin the whole thing trying to make it work. If this is something a technician can do, how much should I expect to pay?

Also, is there an easy way to see if the engine is chipped. I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'd like to confirm it.

Thanks.

632 Regal
04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
the new ones in, shouldnt cost you much for any computer or radio repair shop to do.

The chip thing, you will have to pull the DME and take it apart to see if the stock chip was replaced, most after market chips will have a company name sticker on it such as Dinan or Turner.