PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i... slop in the steering wheel. Culprit?

TC535i
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Any suggestions? I guess I'm used to driving my E36 318is (coilovers with 550/600 lb spring rates, 2600 lbs, sway bars, etc), but my E34 doesn't feel quite as "tight". Lot of slop in the steering, especially noticeable on-center. Is this an adjustment somewhere, do I have worn suspension bits, or something else altogether?

chiefcorey
11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
What size tires do you run front & back?

Denton
11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15145&highlight=tighten+nut+wheel
Tighten That Nut Behind The Wheel! - Bimmer.Info Forums

:dunno

TC535i
11-27-2006, 07:15 PM
What size tires do you run front & back?

On 235/45-17's right now.

TC535i
11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15145&highlight=tighten+nut+wheel
Tighten That Nut Behind The Wheel! - Bimmer.Info Forums

:dunno

haha... :dunno

I'll check that out! The 540i has a motorized telescoping, hopefully I don't overdo it and burn out the motor...

CharlesAFerg
11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Any suggestions? I guess I'm used to driving my E36 318is (coilovers with 550/600 lb spring rates, 2600 lbs, sway bars, etc), but my E34 doesn't feel quite as "tight". Lot of slop in the steering, especially noticeable on-center. Is this an adjustment somewhere, do I have worn suspension bits, or something else altogether?

My car is like that too, theres a bit of a gap between when it will respond moving from right to left or opposite. I can move it back and fourth wihtout much effect in the direction of the car lol.

PS- Nice new sig, I'll definately come by with some locals to check out your new ride sometime this Spring.

TC535i
11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
My car is like that too, theres a bit of a gap between when it will respond moving from right to left or opposite. I can move it back and fourth wihtout much effect in the direction of the car lol.

PS- Nice new sig, I'll definately come by with some locals to check out your new ride sometime this Spring.

Thanks. You know I live in SoCal tho, right? I flew up to PDX and bought the car up there...

This slop seems inordinately large... but who knows, maybe it's just one of those "they all do that" kinda deals?

CharlesAFerg
11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks. You know I live in SoCal tho, right? I flew up to PDX and bought the car up there...

This slop seems inordinately large... but who knows, maybe it's just one of those "they all do that" kinda deals?

You're probably experiencing a bigger problem than time, because I think mine is not bad at all.

Oh, I thought you lived in Washington and you did the opposide, as in flying to Cali.

Didn't you say something about a detail shop up here in the NW a long while ago..?

TC535i
11-27-2006, 07:47 PM
You're probably experiencing a bigger problem than time, because I think mine is not bad at all.

Oh, I thought you lived in Washington and you did the opposide, as in flying to Cali.

Didn't you say something about a detail shop up here in the NW a long while ago..?

Nope, musta been someone else!

mamilapon
11-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Is it a rack and pinnion or a recirc ball steering? If it is the latter you might want to try adjusting the screw on the box.

BillionPa
11-28-2006, 01:30 AM
i can move my steering wheel when unlocked and the car is off +- 3".... i bet yours isnt that bad. the nut behind the steering wheel is solid, but i havent gotten to the box, due to its outrageous location.

pingu
11-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Mine was sloppy till I got my Indy to adjust the screw+nut steering box adjuster. They also swapped round the front and rear types (the front types were both worn on the inside edges) and adjusted the tracking. This has tightened things up.

I think I might also get the rubber donut (a bit like a universal joint) on the steering column replaced as I don't trust old rubber parts.

Note that another Indy reckoned that the steering box was worn (at just 145,000 miles? www.bmwe34.net says that the mainenance kits only comprise rubber seals) and incapale of further adjustment. Given that my steering is now has less slop, I wonder if that Indy was keener on fitting a new box ($$$ - kerching) than adjusting the old box. So be suspicious if your place is reluctant to adjust your box.

Boom n Zoom
11-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Is it a rack and pinnion or a recirc ball steering? If it is the latter you might want to try adjusting the screw on the box.

Yeah, it's the Recirculating ball, as for adjusting it give yourself a day to do it.
This will leave you with about 6 hours to curse and swear, kick stuff (not the car) and generally vent whilst doing the job.

Do the search thang, there was a write-up about it just recently (about a month ago) on doing this with the M60.

The problem is that you have to lift the engine before you can reach the adjustment point on the steering box. You will have to remove the plastic undertray's along with the alloy heat shrouds over the steering box, the loom to the MAF and the intake hose from the throttle body. You will also have to lift the engine with a floor jack and a decent piece of timber.

Once you have the engine supported on the jack (just take up the slack so that you are beginning to lift the engine without stretching the engine mounts), you need to undo the engine mounts then lift about an inch or so, check the fan blades to make sure that they are clearing the shroud, then continue lifting until you can get a piece of 2" x 1" block of timber (on it's 1" side lifting 2" high) between the engine mount and the subframe to then rest the engine on. Be careful here!! You will have the check on the clearance of the header tank for the cooling system, you may find that you can lift it further, but be aware of the EGR system pipework at the rear of the Manifold. Basically before you begin the lift check with a good light the rear of the Manifold to see what might touch. Basically you want as much height as you can get because of the lack of space around the headers the frame rail and the top of the steering box.

The actual 'adjusting' part of the job takes about 15 - 20 minutes with about 3 - 3.5 hrs either side for getting to it and putting it away :)

The adjusting time will blow out if you have trouble undoing the locknut on the top of the steering box to make the adjustment. I found that a 5", 15 degree ring spanner was a good fit but you can only move it about an 1/8th of a turn. This should be enough to loosen it, then you can use a standard open end spanner to back it off enough to make the adjustment.

Good luck with it, hope this information is useful to you.

P.S. LOL I just realised that as yours is Left hand Drive, some of the above information may well be useless to you, but I feel that I have covered most of the generic items that will need to be looked at to do the job.

Cheers!

zman-95-540i
11-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Ditto. I don't have as much slop as you but I will live with it for now. Way too much trouble to get to the box.

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
tighten the nut behind the wheel, cant believe no one mentioned this.

TC535i
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
tighten the nut behind the wheel, cant believe no one mentioned this.

Besides the second reply in the thread, you mean? ;)

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Oops...how did I miss that!
Besides the second reply in the thread, you mean? ;)

TC535i
11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Oops...how did I miss that!

And you call yourself a moder.... err... Official Asshat. Pssh!

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Astronaut...
And you call yourself a moder.... err... Official Asshat. Pssh!

TC535i
11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Astronaut...
Space Cowboy? Gangster of Love?

.... Maurice?

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
woot wooo
Space Cowboy? Gangster of Love?

.... Maurice?

TomAC65
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I fixed this problem on my car by adjusting the steering box (obviously easier on my I6 than your V8) and by tightening the nut that secures the pitman arm to the bottom of the box. The big nut on the steering shaft was not loose on my high mileage car (254k) but the same pitman arm nut was also loose on my other ‘94’ 525i parts car and it has only about 140k miles on it. It’s easy to get to this nut – a pair of ramps are all you'll need.

632 Regal
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
never read of this one.
I fixed this problem on my car by adjusting the steering box (obviously easier on my I6 than your V8) and by tightening the nut that secures the pitman arm to the bottom of the box. The big nut on the steering shaft was not loose on my high mileage car (254k) but the same pitman arm nut was also loose on my other ‘94’ 525i parts car and it has only about 140k miles on it. It’s easy to get to this nut – a pair of ramps are all you'll need.

Warren N.CA
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Most of that free play may go away. Unless your box is worn out. Then you'll need a new or used box. Adjustment is simple, but quirky. Many shops don't know how. Start out on the phone, first. In the end, a recirculating ball system, like this is not the equal of a rack & pinion.

Jon K
11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Most of that free play may go away. Unless your box is worn out. Then you'll need a new or used box. Adjustment is simple, but quirky. Many shops don't know how. Start out on the phone, first. In the end, a recirculating ball system, like this is not the equal of a rack & pinion.

A BMW what?