PDA

View Full Version : I Love My E34!!!!!

Spasso
11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
This thing is great in the snow!. Except for getting high-centered at the end of my driveway it performed great!
These are times when technology proves itself. ASC+T and ABS!

I know this is old hat for you guys in the mid-west and east but out here in the west snow like this is a rarity. It's very wet and heavy, powerlines down everywhere, trees snapping off etc.
Half of my town is without power and I'll be on a generator for a few days.

92E34
11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
This thing is great in the snow!. Except for getting high-centered at the end of my driveway it performed great!
These are times when technology proves itself. ASC+T and ABS!

I know this is old hat for you guys in the mid-west and east but out here in the west snow like this is a rarity. It's very wet and heavy, powerlines down everywhere, trees snapping off etc.
Half of my town is without power and I'll be on a generator for a few days.

I cant wait for it to snow here. I've been itching to do some snow driving.

schnell944
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Spasso,
The silver color of the car itself looks great in the snow, too!

angrypancake
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
blitzzzzzzzzzzz

e34_Jay
11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
e34 + snow FTW!!

NovceGuru
11-27-2006, 05:04 PM
my e34 + no ASC+T + worn out tires + snow + salt + no garage = :( :( :( :(

markus
11-27-2006, 05:16 PM
car looks good. Hey whast the part number for the rear filler you have under your lisence plate? I want one of these for my 540i.

Atl530i
11-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Nice. I miss the snow. It never snows in Atlanta. But when it does snow, it'll snow a 1/2 inch and people freak, lol.

Elekta
11-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Great, now back that bear back into hibernation. If you must drive in the snow, get a beater. Don't make a rust bucket out of that properly painted piece of gear.

As a former NEnglander, I wouldn't dream of buying a 10+ year old car if I knew it had ever seen the snow. Snow, and all that a county uses to melt it, destroys precision instruments.

Set that garage opener for ground hogs day, and make like jr and break out the carnuba for safety

CharlesAFerg
11-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Nice. I miss the snow. It never snows in Atlanta. But when it does snow, it'll snow a 1/2 inch and people freak, lol.
Same, but I'm in Beaverton, Oregon...(Quite sad)

SO I'm probably just a tad bit south of you I'm assuming?(Washington?) It was actually snowing like CRAZY here today, but nothing stuck, it was 37 and snowing, shows how fast that cold high pressure front is coming up on us...

Oh well, it's definately a pleasant departure from the usual, that's for certain. :)

bmwalfa
11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
i just cant wait till the midwest snow hits and i can get this car sideways in parking lots.:D

Spasso
11-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Great, now back that bear back into hibernation. If you must drive in the snow, get a beater. Don't make a rust bucket out of that properly painted piece of gear.

The E34 was the tallest thing I had to drive today and even then got high centered at the end of the drive.

The nice thing about winter driving here in Washington is NO SALT!!.

My E34 was sold new in Portland Oregon and spent most of it's years there. It has seen plenty of winter driving but there is absolutely NO rust on this car anywhere. BMW must have done a good job on corrosion protection.

As a rule of thumb I try to find and buy a car from the Pacific Northwest because the climate is nicer to the cars here than elsewhere in the country.. Not too hot and not too terribly cold.
The rubber bits like windshield gaskets and bulb seals weather much better around here too, mine are still like new. The dash boards are less prone to cracking and the paint doesn't fade like in the Southwest..

I traded my beater (Acura) in for an E36 (328) on Saturday. That will be my daily driver.
It was a California car so no rust there either.

I took the E34 because of it's heavier weight and being less prone to squirreliness.

Anyway, shes back inside and will get a trip up on the lift for a moderate pressure wash after I get done with the 328.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
the lack of snow out here.

Spasso
11-27-2006, 08:25 PM
car looks good. Hey whast the part number for the rear filler you have under your lisence plate? I want one of these for my 540i.
I think #17 is what you are looking for,
http://snipurl.com/13h0p
Part ,#51132230867

Spasso
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
the lack of snow out here.
We don't get it often, maybe once a year, for a day or two at the most.

Spasso
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
They freak around here too, overreacting to non-events mostly.
It isn't the snow that is tough to drive in, it's the black ice and/or 10" deep slush. Like driving on snot!

bmwalfa
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
i just cant wait till the midwest snow hits and i can get this car sideways in parking lots.:D

Yiorgos
11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Spasso, that arse shot of your E34 is MINT!

M5 plate filler + euroclears + silver duco + snow = MUY BIEN :D

Spasso
11-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks.
Funny, I was looking for Oxford Green/Tan when I ran across this one. The silver grew on me after a time. Now I really like it.

Alexlind123
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Same, but I'm in Beaverton, Oregon...(Quite sad)

SO I'm probably just a tad bit south of you I'm assuming?(Washington?) It was actually snowing like CRAZY here today, but nothing stuck, it was 37 and snowing, shows how fast that cold high pressure front is coming up on us...

Oh well, it's definately a pleasant departure from the usual, that's for certain. :)

Oh, it stuck where i am. I wouldnt wish the drive i had today upon any sane person. It was good for a prolonged adrenaline rush, however.

THis is from last year, but today was actually alot worse in terms of traction because of the icyness.

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/snow.jpg

Alexlind123
11-28-2006, 12:01 AM
http://servo.postverket.us/alex/snowy.jpg

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/snowy2.jpg

Alexlind123
11-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Dont worry, i just moved it in the garage :)

angrypancake
11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
ugh snow. its supposed to snow on friday here in NY

BFEINZIMER
11-28-2006, 12:23 AM
hah this morning the back of the car slid out as i pulled away froma stoplight no acs no t haha **** yea

Alexlind123
11-28-2006, 02:30 AM
hah this morning the back of the car slid out as i pulled away froma stoplight no acs no t haha **** yea

Its only fun when that happens when its dry :)

Qube
11-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Damn you and your ASC+T! :) Sometimes I wish I could sit back a bit and enjoy... but then I push the pedal down a bit and spin the wheel... and forget about ASC+T...

E34-520iSE
11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Mine won't move in the snow - I have to put my chains on the wheels to drive to work, which is a PITA at daft o'clock in the morning. No LSD or ASC means no adhesion! Hopefully we wont see any snow for over a month yet.

Cheers,

Shaun

Spasso
11-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Just got home from work. 17 degrees out! Crunchy!

Spasso
12-04-2006, 01:10 AM
I have had my 328 for 12 days now and still haven't driven it. I think I like the heated seats in the 5 more. Better in the snow too. Loving the hell out of it.

SC David
12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Sounds nippy! We had some 40 degree weather this week in the Bay Area, and everyone I know was too cheap to use their thermostats, so that meant a lot of seeing your breath while indoors. Luckily it's heated back up to the 60's this week.

Does your car have a 540i badge, or is it just me? Sweet picture either way.

Paul in NZ
12-04-2006, 02:47 AM
High Centred?

kyleN20
12-04-2006, 03:18 AM
im calling BS, my e34 was TERRIBLE in the snow, couldent get out of my driveway on occasion, almost got me killed a few times, ect ect.

indierthanthou
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
shes a little bit squirrellier than my old dodge diplomat...maybe because shes 1500 lbs lighter. i was driving in caro this weekend and took a turn a bit too quick, figured id just throttle steer it and went too far around, almost took out a fire hydrant. the fact that the tires are balding isnt a help. winter tires this week, hopefully

JerseySi
12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm deeply jealous - we rarely get snow here these days, and if we do it's never for more than a night or so :(

Bring on the snow! I wanna go out playing slideways!! :D hehehe

Rory525
12-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Ive always found my car useless in the snow, Ive been stuck trying to get out my street which is on a very gentle slope. Fat tyres = terrible for snow.

I guess you guys must put on snow tyres or chains?

I do love playing in a big snowy carpark though, spent many an hour powersliding in it :D I find the e34 so easily controllable sliding around in it, just no good if you actually have to try to get anywhere that has even a slight hill !

E34-520iSE
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I use chains to get out of my street, it's only a slight gradient but too much for a heavy RWD car. Tell you what though, when I put the chains on it's like the snow's not there, the amount of traction you get is excellent, plus you get to laugh at other cars stuck at the bottom of the slope!

Cheers,

Shaun M

OneBeLow
12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
man, I dont even take my car out in the rain...cool pics

Montreal525
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Snow you say? We in the North East get our fair share. It's a question of getting used to it. You absolutely need winter tires on a E34. I run 195/65/15 Vredestein Icetrack with no ASC-T and I haven't gotten stuck anywhere in the last 4 winters, which is a lot to say about a RWD, and I don't even weight it down in the trunk...

This car is so well balanced that when you drive it with your winter skills, you can get anywhere. I was quite surprised about it. I had a FWD 95 Jetta VR6 back in the days and even with winter tires, it would suck big time in the winter. I'll snap a few pictures when we get the first "big one" of the season...

Jeff

Sam-Son
12-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I think the E34 is pretty good in the snow. Last winter I had old bald yokohamas and with the ASC on I managed to get up the extremely steep driveway from my apartment's garage. Now I put allweather tires on it and now it's like the rain snow and sleet aren't even there.

tdgard
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM

The bitch about Atlanta is that it will have rained for 3 days before getting cold enough to snow. Layer of ice + snow on top is lots of fun.

It did almost get a little cool here last week. I had to break out my winter shorts.:p

repenttokyo
12-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm looking forward to driving the car in the snow as well. I don't see how it could be any more difficult to drive than my 300hp Lincoln was last winter up here in Montreal. It feels much more balanced - in fact, I'm looking forward to some drifting :)

Spasso
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Does your car have a 540i badge, or is it just me? Sweet picture either way.
Yup, it's a poseur. Good eye.
The trunk lid was resprayed after a minor ding and the 540 emblem found it's way on there then. (at least it's not an 'M' badge!:p:p)

525ikicker
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
i love snow, when ur tires are bald and on even wet roads u slid, snow+limited slip rear diff is awsome. i love drifting and sliding. except for the one time i almost went into a ditch.....:D :)