PDA

View Full Version : removing sump on 520i m20 engine

af1
11-27-2006, 02:30 PM
hey i am removing the sump (or oil pan as you americans call it) on my 89 520
i have a feeling i need to remove the fly wheel cover seeing as i have removed all visible bolts but the thing wont come off.. do i need to drain any gearbox oil or anything before i remove the cover (unsure if it is a wet clutch or dry clutch), are there some more bolts underneath here? once this is removed hopefully i can get my sump off lol

cheers

Alan

E34-520iSE
11-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Yes you'll need to remove the flywheel cover first. If I remember right there's 4 bolts holding it on. Once that's off you'll be able to get at the rest of the sump bolts. Don't worry about the gearbox oil or clutch. They are not in the way, and won't leak out. Trust me! By the way, are you also in the UK?

HTH,

Shaun M

af1
11-28-2006, 02:28 AM
yes in sunny kent, im a part time motortrader (just starting up) and i bought the 520 for £100 with mot! hoping to just fix this knocking sound then shift it on for a couple of hundred more, if theres loads of work involved, i.e. not just replacing the shells (which there probably is) i will just break the car :( which is a shame cause its quite nice for a car thats only a year younger then me .. F reg :o

cheers
Alan

p.s. i did have an e30 316 lux a few months ago! i love old beemers