PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought a CPO BMW?

BennyM
04-18-2004, 04:19 PM
My little sis totaled my parents 6 mo old Accord the other day. She pulled out to turn when she shouldn't have and got t-boned on the driver's side by a corolla doing 55. Walked a way without a scratch fortunately––a tribute to the car, except that the side air-bags in the seats and A-pillars didn't go off, but the passenger front bag did. Don't think it's supposed to do that on a blatant side impact.

Anyway, parents are now looking into a Certified-Preowned E39 instead of another Honda. Found an 01 540i in their price range. Anyone ever leased a car this way? Anything to look out for? Thanks.

BennyM

andyman32
04-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I've never leased, but I bought a CPO. It adds 1 year onto the end of the standard 4-year bumper to bumper warranty. But check the fine print; they wouldn't fix that stinkin' cupholder under CPO warranty. I got that shocking $400 estimate someone mentioned here a few days ago. Stupid little piece of plastic.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice deal. Just make sure you're getting something that's worth the price. CPO cars tend to be noticeably more expensive than off-warranty (wholesale) cars, or non-CPO.

BennyM
04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
I've never leased, but I bought a CPO. It adds 1 year onto the end of the standard 4-year bumper to bumper warranty. But check the fine print; they wouldn't fix that stinkin' cupholder under CPO warranty. I got that shocking $400 estimate someone mentioned here a few days ago. Stupid little piece of plastic.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice deal. Just make sure you're getting something that's worth the price. CPO cars tend to be noticeably more expensive than off-warranty (wholesale) cars, or non-CPO.

Scott H
04-19-2004, 03:10 PM
totally different warranty terms than that E39 you are talking about, but the additional cost of her CPO was $950 to bring the warranty to 7yrs/100,000 miles

MBXB
04-19-2004, 03:16 PM
I bought my 540iA under a CPO. I got pretty decent service from the stealer. I got them to do a couple of leakdown tests for the Nikasil issue. The 540i Nikasil had an extended warranty to 100K miles. At the time, the price was on the high side of the market curve, but the CPO did give me a certain degree of comfort. My main reason for buying was a very low interest rate. Nowadays, the only time I go there is to pick up parts I couldn't otherwise buy somewhere else.

Hallmark
04-19-2004, 03:22 PM
It's not that they will have fewer things go wrong. The dealer is just covering himself against that likelyhood. It's a small difference, but important.

Warren N.CA
04-19-2004, 03:24 PM
it also excludes a bunch of other stuff. Better check the exclusion list. You typically have to beat that out of the salesman with threats of violence.

Lease payments on used cars are usually pretty high because the residual will be very low. So, installment purchase is usually the choice.

Be ready for sharply higher maintenance costs than with a rice wagon.

My little sis totaled my parents 6 mo old Accord the other day. She pulled out to turn when she shouldn't have and got t-boned on the driver's side by a corolla doing 55. Walked a way without a scratch fortunately––a tribute to the car, except that the side air-bags in the seats and A-pillars didn't go off, but the passenger front bag did. Don't think it's supposed to do that on a blatant side impact.

Anyway, parents are now looking into a Certified-Preowned E39 instead of another Honda. Found an 01 540i in their price range. Anyone ever leased a car this way? Anything to look out for? Thanks.

BennyM