PDA

View Full Version : Worn key? Worn locks?

Bruce Kennett
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
greetings all,

my touring key has no probs in the ignition, but in both doors and in the tailgate, whenever i put it in i have to wiggle it back and forth a few times before it will rotate L or R. does this mean all three of those locks are worn? or is it more likely that i need a new key and the ignition lock is simply more forgiving of the worn key?

i live far away from any dealers. if i need a new key made from numerical specs where can i get one? and would i find those specs anywhere in the owner's manual, etc.?

bruce

TC535i
11-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Same thing here. I think it's a combo of both. Drivers door I can lock without too much jiggling, but doesn't want to unlock at all. Pass side... complete opposite. Driver side, gotta put the key in so the "buttons" face forward... pass side doesn't matter.

Gotta get this keyless entry figured out...

VentoGT
11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I will watch this space. Funny thing with mine is that it is climate-dependent. When it gets cold, the locks don't want to turn in the driver's door. I think the lock is wearing out, as I have 2 brand new from Germany keys I ordered 6 months ago, and using that key or the worn out older one makes no difference.

Warm [greater than 40-45deg ] no issues...colder than that and I start getting hang ups in the driver's door...oh well, the trunk lock still works fine...

CharlesAFerg
11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I will watch this space. Funny thing with mine is that it is climate-dependent. When it gets cold, the locks don't want to turn in the driver's door. I think the lock is wearing out, as I have 2 brand new from Germany keys I ordered 6 months ago, and using that key or the worn out older one makes no difference.

Warm [greater than 40-45deg ] no issues...colder than that and I start getting hang ups in the driver's door...oh well, the trunk lock still works fine...

Exactly the same boat as you... No matter how much grease crap you put in it still stays like that, feels like you're trying to lift a 40 pound weight twisting the key, I already cracked half of it...

Ross
11-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Dealers can make a key with your VIN. Proper proof of ownership required of course. A fresh key and lubrication even with worn locks is a big improvement.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-27-2006, 04:25 PM
This happens to my locks every so often. I flush the lock with WD40. It's a lousy lubricant, but it's a great solvent for loosening the debris that seems to accumulate.

Paul Shovestul

ricola
11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Same thing here. I think it's a combo of both. Drivers door I can lock without too much jiggling, but doesn't want to unlock at all. Pass side... complete opposite. Driver side, gotta put the key in so the "buttons" face forward... pass side doesn't matter.

Gotta get this keyless entry figured out...

Mine is quaerky like that. Not all the time, just every once in awhile. Sometimes I flip the key so the button is forward also. That seems to solve the sticking. Wierd...

TC535i
11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
This happens to my locks every so often. I flush the lock with WD40. It's a lousy lubricant, but it's a great solvent for loosening the debris that seems to accumulate.

Paul Shovestul

Does that get the window greasy or anything? Just hold the "flap" open and fire a couple quick blasts in there, or what?

brick8
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I have read that wd40 can harm lock cylinders and that graphite is better.

CharlesAFerg
11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
word.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I've never gotten any on the window, but if you get carried away the WD40 will dribble down the door. Using the "straw" I aim the WD40 where the top and bottom of the key contact the pins of the lock cylinder. If the pins are sticking due to dirt, debris, old grease etc, this will flush it out.

Paul Shovestul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock

Does that get the window greasy or anything? Just hold the "flap" open and fire a couple quick blasts in there, or what?

Bellicose Right Winger
11-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Word?
Just about every BMW I've owned needed a squirt of WD40 in one of the locks. There's no evidence any harm ever came to any of them and lock operation improved greatly.

Paul Shovestul

BFEINZIMER
11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
graphite is amazing, my truck keyslot was grinding it sounded horrible, a few puffs of that **** and its smooth as you know what haha

VentoGT
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
What brand of graphite do you use?

Alexlind123
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
What brand of graphite do you use?

Graphite brand?

CharlesAFerg
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Word?
Paul Shovestul

..As in I agree.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I understood what you meant, I was offering a dissenting opinion.

Word. ===> "I agree"
Word? ===> "Are you serious?"

Paul Shovestul

..As in I agree.

JMI
11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
FWIW
I used to own a 1989 S-10 Blazer (it was totaled and replaced by my 1989 535i) which I owned since 1990. Over the years the key started to wear, by that I mean got thinner. I ignored it till it got to the point that it looked like it might break, so I went to a locksmith to get a new key. He informed me that the lock was more then likely ruined for using that key which he claimed was acting like a "saw" and was cutting the tumblers in the lock. I said make me a new key and let me try it. Sure enough it would not work.
Cost $100 USD (cheap, I know) for a new ignition lock.
He also gave me some free advice. My key chain was loaded down with a couple of dozen keys. He told me that that wieght of all those keys combined with how they swing back and forth while the ignition key is in the ignition accelerates the wear.

Jim

TC535i
11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I understood what you meant, I was offering a dissenting opinion.

Word. ===> "I agree"
Word? ===> "Are you serious?"

Paul Shovestul

Oh, word? Word.

bigtisas
11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
FWIW
Ikey chain was loaded down with a couple of dozen keys. He told me that that wieght of all those keys combined with how they swing back and forth while the ignition key is in the ignition accelerates the wear.

Jim

Make sense.

Also, grease and liquid lubs could make the lock collects more dirt in a long run. Locksmiths recommend graphite.

sKilled
11-29-2006, 06:18 AM
First use WD40/CRC to clean the lock out - you'd be surprised how much crap hangs in your lock. Then Graphite it. Just jamming graphite ino a dirty lock will do diddly squat as it will not solve the problem.

brick8
11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
OK, I will give this a try on the locks for the racks on my 1992 touring. I want to take the racks off but the key will hardly even go into the locks. My guess is they have been there since new and never used.