PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about my '89 535

///Sniper535
11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. This site seems to have A LOT of knowledge about the E34 so i'm curious if anyone could help me out here. I have a few questions:

1.Are there any tailights that light up horizontally instead of vertically?

2. I disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it I noticed that the messeges on the Check Control where in German. How do I go back to English? lol

3. LH foglight is out but the bulb is new. What gives?

4. Washer Fluid Low message, but it's full. Bad level sender?

thanks in advance

BillionPa
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
1: huh?

2: i believe you can control the language on the OBC, but im not sure how. shogun will probably chime that one in.

3: check for voltage on the plug with a multimeter, if you are getting none than the fog relay in the LKM (light control module) has probably desoldered itself. do a search for LKM resoldering and be amazed.

4: either that or the plug going to the sensor is corroded. unplug it and jump it with a piece of copper wire or something and see if the message goes out. if it does the sensor is the culprit.

Qube
11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Search will do you good. At least you filled out your profile! :)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. This site seems to have A LOT of knowledge about the E34 so i'm curious if anyone could help me out here. I have a few questions:

1.Are there any tailights that light up horizontally instead of vertically?

What do you mean? Like the newer e39s?

2. I disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it I noticed that the messeges on the Check Control where in German. How do I go back to English? lol

I don't have it on hand, but the answer was definitely in the forum when I searched last time :)

3. LH foglight is out but the bulb is new. What gives?

Is there at least power to the leads? Start simple...

4. Washer Fluid Low message, but it's full. Bad level sender?

I'll pass this on to someone else.

thanks in advance

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Is a pretty simple float type sensor, it could be a dirty terminal or in most cases the sensor has rotated out of position and sending false errors and stops turn Etc.

///Sniper535
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
http://myspace-151.vo.llnwd.net/01482/15/15/1482075151_l.jpg

Left is the original style, I ask because I notice that the lights aren't that noticable compared to the E32 and E36 in the dark.

For the foglight, theres power to the bulb but not enough.

Also, as i remembered that when I get a error message like coolant low theres supposed to be a gong or something along with the message. I dont get any noises. I don't have the factory radio and i took out my alarm because it was actting up, if that info helps. I pressed the S/R button and a little circle with waves came on, i assumed that was for beeps or gongs but i still get no noise.

BMWCCA1
11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Do you have the car's owners manual? That might be a good place to start. I know I've got one for an '89 stashed around here somewhere if you don't have one or if no one can point you to on on-line.

dennyg
11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a solution for the language problem. You have two toggles or push buttons on your dash. Left one is for odometer reset and right one will solve your language from german to english. Put key in first position then press right hand toggle or push button in for ten seconds. It may take two or three times to work but its a simple fix. Worked for me on second try.....good luck Dennyg

///Sniper535
11-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I have a solution for the language problem. You have two toggles or push buttons on your dash. Left one is for odometer reset and right one will solve your language from german to english. Put key in first position then press right hand toggle or push button in for ten seconds. It may take two or three times to work but its a simple fix. Worked for me on second try.....good luck Dennyg

THAT WORKED PERFECTLY! THANKS!

genphreak
11-26-2006, 11:55 PM
To fix the fog light, check the wiring loom by opening the trunk, lying down with you back on the trunk floor. Using a flashlight, inspect the wiring behind the left side rear hinge- it wears here and the wires can short and break. Some double-sided padding and PVC tape will be handy as the wires often wear through so you might have to splice them back together and re-insulate... if this is not it the next step is to remove the LKM (Light Control Module) from its home in the fuse box- open it up and check the PCB doesn't have the typical dry joints under the relays... :) Nick

///Sniper535
11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
To fix the fog light, check the wiring loom by opening the trunk, lying down with you back on the trunk floor. Using a flashlight, inspect the wiring behind the left side rear hinge- it wears here and the wires can short and break. Some double-sided padding and PVC tape will be handy as the wires often wear through so you might have to splice them back together and re-insulate... if this is not it the next step is to remove the LKM (Light Control Module) from its home in the fuse box- open it up and check the PCB doesn't have the typical dry joints under the relays... :) Nick

The trunk?? that sounds like the last place i'd look for fog light wires...

Paul in NZ
12-01-2006, 05:02 AM
The trunk?? that sounds like the last place i'd look for fog light wires...

why,thats where the wires go to the (rear) fog lights which when lit would look like your "horizontal lights"
Typically you think that we all have US cars

///Sniper535
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
why,thats where the wires go to the (rear) fog lights which when lit would look like your "horizontal lights"
Typically you think that we all have US cars

It's my front fog light that is out...