PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Bentley manual.

94530inh
11-26-2006, 08:49 AM
My bimmer needs some work so I drove over to Bavarian Autosport and bought the manual. I've got to replace the knock sensors. I'm looking at the manual and it says to drain the coolant before I take the intake manifold off. Is this necesary? Its the instructions for removing the head so I was thinking maybe i dont have to do it.

Antrieb
11-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Good, I'm glad your getting to it yourself.

I would drain the coolant, and take the fan and radiator out since it will be much easier to work under there. I would also take the hood off if the project is going to last more than a day or two (which it shouldn't in this case).

If you need any help on anything shoot me a message and I can give you my phone #.

94530inh
11-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks man, This book kicks so much ass. It was worth the 60 bucks. How much does a torque wrench cost?

Dave M
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Toeque wrenches (at least those I've found in Canada) come in two ranges.

I bought a half-decent low torque (0-30 NM, 0-25 ft/lbs) 'audible clicky type' wrench for ~$70 CAN. You could probably get one in the states for ~$40-$50 (guess). This will help with most engine torque applications such as intakes, plugs, accessories etc, but not suspension components, head bolts etc. For these higher torque appliacations, I bought a cheaper 'beam type' 1/2 which will take care of things up to ~250 ft/lbs. Who knows, matbe you can find a good wrench in a large torque range.

Good luck with your project.

Dave M

Bill R.
11-26-2006, 01:21 PM
radiator. Just leave the expansion tank hooked up and move it off to the side.

My bimmer needs some work so I drove over to Bavarian Autosport and bought the manual. I've got to replace the knock sensors. I'm looking at the manual and it says to drain the coolant before I take the intake manifold off. Is this necesary? Its the instructions for removing the head so I was thinking maybe i dont have to do it.

Kalevera
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
radiator. Just leave the expansion tank hooked up and move it off to the side.

Ditto.

DaveVoorhis
11-26-2006, 07:17 PM
How much does a torque wrench cost?
Anywhere from $20 or so to $the-sky's-the-limit. I paid about $300USD for a SnapOn(TM) wrench back when I was doing car work on a pretty serious basis, but I can't say it was significantly better than the $50USD wrench I use now. On a BMW, the critical stuff (like head bolts) is mainly expressed in angles, anyway. Torque angle gauges are relatively cheap.