PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak HELP ME PLEASE

aabdelhamid
11-26-2006, 07:43 AM
I suspect my block is leaking coolant. What do you think if I take out the thermostat (mechanical one leading to the engine block) and do the pressure test to find out if my block has leaks. Does this make any sense. The pressure test does not lead to anything now with the thermo in and I loose around a cup a day and see no leaks and nor pressure drop on the test. I also blocked the heating matrix out of the circuit to rule this option out. I am going to fry the engine if I keep on loosing coolant. I will forget some day to top it off.

winfred
11-26-2006, 09:43 AM
the thermostat has no bearing on a pressure test at all, matter of fact it may leak without it as the o-ring is not really big enough to seal without the t-stat taking up space, if you are leaking externally it will leave traces you just gotta find them

BillionPa
11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
how does your oil look?

scoop2004
11-26-2006, 10:19 AM
check ur oil,and check ur exhaust smoke for steam (excessive whiteness) compression test the engine to make sure u havent got a chamber-water channel leak and if i were u i wouldnt drive it much til it doesnt lose water. it may be taking air into the system at the point its leaking which if left unbled will cause overheating

Rick L
11-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I had a similar coolant problem recently. I would loose about a cup a day but couldn’t find any leaks on the ground. It turned out to be a small crack on the coolant expansion tank. The crack was so small that it will only leak very small amount as the engine is hot and that small amount evaporate from heat. A friend had a similar problem with his Mercedes with same expansion tank leak. I took the tank out and took a very close look at it and found the crack. Now after the replacement tank, no more coolant lose…

I suspect my block is leaking coolant. What do you think if I take out the thermostat (mechanical one leading to the engine block) and do the pressure test to find out if my block has leaks. Does this make any sense. The pressure test does not lead to anything now with the thermo in and I loose around a cup a day and see no leaks and nor pressure drop on the test. I also blocked the heating matrix out of the circuit to rule this option out. I am going to fry the engine if I keep on loosing coolant. I will forget some day to top it off.