PDA

View Full Version : New Hubcentrics?

Jehu
11-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I am getting two new rear tires next week.Should i get new hubcentric rings and have them all replaced or do they survive pretty well.These have about 20K miles on them .

BMWCCA1
11-25-2006, 03:43 PM
That all depends on the rings and the monkey holding the air wrench. I've reused the aluminum rings from Tire Rack many times, in fact I've never worn one out. But then I do all my wheel swapping, even if that means taking the set in the back of my pickup to have tires mounted. If you can't watch what they're doing, I'd get an extra set just to have on hand when you find out they messed up the ones you have. And if you're using plastic ones, personally I'd switch to metal.

Good Luck.

Jehu
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks! I have the aluminum rings from The Wheel Exchange.I may as well get another set, can't hurt.

Robin-535im
11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I am getting two new rear tires next week.Should i get new hubcentric rings and have them all replaced or do they survive pretty well.These have about 20K miles on them .
I use mine until they get bent or dinged up too bad, have a few spares just in case.

I've had tire guys look me in the eye and say they know about the hubcentric rings and will remount properly, then proceed with complete ignorance and lose or destroy the rings. Like the man said, if you can't watch them do it, probably want to bring in tires alone and mount them yourself, or just take the rings off before hand and let them do their magic without the rings. Driving without them is fine if you don't go too fast, and worst thing is the vibration if you do go fast.

RobPatt
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
..tire swapping, which is as needed and actually rare.

What I don't get though is all these folks running around on 20" dubs or whatever kind of crazy wheels by any freak design, all that as popular as it is... and still hearing stories of the tire shops screwup hubcentrics.

I guess there's a difference, but not my area of expertise so my own ignorance of why they're ignorant... uh.. yeah.

Extra = good.

Cheers,
Rob sends....

I use mine until they get bent or dinged up too bad, have a few spares just in case.

I've had tire guys look me in the eye and say they know about the hubcentric rings and will remount properly, then proceed with complete ignorance and lose or destroy the rings. Like the man said, if you can't watch them do it, probably want to bring in tires alone and mount them yourself, or just take the rings off before hand and let them do their magic without the rings. Driving without them is fine if you don't go too fast, and worst thing is the vibration if you do go fast.