PDA

View Full Version : Electrical connection for OBC outside air temp

John in Nova Scotia
04-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi all,
Been away for a while because of the war on terror (in the Gulf) and have come home to find my outside air temp reading -37 C. I think I have found the round electrical connection under the front driver's bumper by the foglight. I want to check the pins to see if they are dirty but I am having a hard time getting the connection apart. Does it screw off, pull off, or do I have to smack my head off of the bumper a few times to get it apart...oh wait I already did that...lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to break anything because of such a minor problem
Thanks
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i

David Chen
04-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Welcome back to spring in the Maritimes, are you sure it really isn't -37C there?

Sometimes, the temperature sensor just needs time to re-adjust. Either leave the key in the accessory position for a few hours or take a nice drive to PEI and enjoy a church lobster dinner. The OBC temperature reading should slowly creep back up to normal after a few hours of use.

Cheers from 25C tornado-watch Wisconsin,

David

John in Nova Scotia
04-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Welcome back to spring in the Maritimes, are you sure it really isn't -37C there?

Sometimes, the temperature sensor just needs time to re-adjust. Either leave the key in the accessory position for a few hours or take a nice drive to PEI and enjoy a church lobster dinner. The OBC temperature reading should slowly creep back up to normal after a few hours of use.

Cheers from 25C tornado-watch Wisconsin,

David

Thanks...good to be out of the 40 C weather....Pretty sure it isn't that cold....lol...it is actually beautiful and sunny out. I will keep an eye on it over the next day or so and see if it adjusts itself. Only home for a month and a half or so and then off to jolly old England for 5 or 6 months so not too concerned about it right now....just want to drive it.
cheers
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i

John 535is (Sydney)
04-18-2004, 07:09 PM
It screws off from memory. About 1/4 to 1/2 turn then pull apart. I think I applied a bit of squeeze pressure first. Its the same type of connector as the O2 sensor plug. Also check the wires at the back of the temp sensor, they get brittle and the insulation can crack off. I suppose its pretty exposed and gets a lot of vibration and the like. The other thing to check is the wiring loom back to the plug. My bumper cover had previously been removed and when it was refitted they had squeezed the wiring in between the cover and the bar.

John 535is 1989

John in Nova Scotia
04-19-2004, 09:26 PM
It screws off from memory. About 1/4 to 1/2 turn then pull apart. I think I applied a bit of squeeze pressure first. Its the same type of connector as the O2 sensor plug. Also check the wires at the back of the temp sensor, they get brittle and the insulation can crack off. I suppose its pretty exposed and gets a lot of vibration and the like. The other thing to check is the wiring loom back to the plug. My bumper cover had previously been removed and when it was refitted they had squeezed the wiring in between the cover and the bar.

John 535is 1989

Thanks John, I will give it a try tomorrow.
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i