PDA

View Full Version : Liftgate problems

rustyr
11-25-2006, 09:47 AM
The latches on the liftgate of my 525i Touring will not work. It can only be unlocked with a key. I may be something simple, but I am new to BMW so I need help. Thanks!

Rigmaster
11-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Mine is the same way. I *heard* that it was probably a broken wire or wires where the tailgate hinges- but I've not tackled that repair yet. I know someone on the board replaced the tailgate wiring harnesses to fix the problem, but I'm not planning to do that.

Bret.

shogun
11-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Here you see a pic of a broken wire loom on a touring liftgate
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/shogun_bucket/?action=view&current=kabelbruchtorng.jpg

rustyr
11-25-2006, 04:04 PM
It was a wire broken. Thanks.

Rigmaster
11-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Can you elaborate a little (for me??).

Which wire(s) was (were) broken?

Thx, Bret.

rustyr
11-26-2006, 08:23 AM
At each corner of the liftgate there is a wiring harness that goes up the side of the gate, through a guide, and then doubles back to go through the body and into the wiring inside the vehicle. Apparently the movement of opening and closing the lift gate flexes these wires enough to break them. The wire that is the culprit is a white one with a black stripe and yellow bands around it. The window control wire goes through on the right side and the door latch goes through on the left. I am going to cut out a section and replace it with new wire. I hope this helps.

Rigmaster
11-26-2006, 10:09 AM
At each corner of the liftgate there is a wiring harness that goes up the side of the gate, through a guide, and then doubles back to go through the body and into the wiring inside the vehicle. Apparently the movement of opening and closing the lift gate flexes these wires enough to break them. The wire that is the culprit is a white one with a black stripe and yellow bands around it. The window control wire goes through on the right side and the door latch goes through on the left. I am going to cut out a section and replace it with new wire. I hope this helps.

Excellent, thanks!!!

Bret.

jonsocal
11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
If so, what gage wire did you use? Also, could you take another picture of the rapair?

Thanks!

JSK

attack eagle
11-27-2006, 04:37 AM

Good deal... one of these days I'm going to get around to fixing mine...
Typical license plate light out... and the hatch pops everytime you turn on the lights...

rustyr
11-27-2006, 06:56 AM
I don't know if you were asking me, but no, I haven't done the repair yet. I will post the results when I do. Should be in a day or so.

rustyr