PDA

View Full Version : Rear Deck Vibration

GregW
11-24-2006, 10:30 PM
My rear deck vibrates near the third brake light when I go over rough roads or bumps. When someone places a hand on the rear deck and presses down, it stops. Any thoughts? Does anyone have any schematics or pictures on how to take out the rear deck and replace or tighten the clips? Other ideas?

Fetch
11-25-2006, 12:44 AM
bump, because I have this same problem now with my measly subwoofer installed.

SnakeyesTx
11-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Same issue with subs. I planned on taking the shelf out and insulating between the shelf itself and whatever it mounts down and vibrates on.

Jr ///M5
11-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Remove the backseat, there are 4 bolts that hold the seatback in place, one at each bottom corner and two accessable through the center armrest. If you have rear headrests you will have to pull them straight up and all the way out.

Once the rear seatback is out of the way you will see several pins that hold the rear parcel shelf in place along the folded down edge of the tray. Remove the pins. Lift the tray up in the center area about 4"-6" and give it a sharp pull forward, this should release the metal clips in the back of the tray.

Now it's just a matter of working the tray out, be patient, it's a tight fit, but it comes right out.

Once the tray is out, have a look at the clips in the rear of the tray, they usually have to be bent back into position to hold the tray down tight. The clips are held down by rivet washers and that is where the play comes from. Shim the bottom of the rivet washer to take up the slack.

And just like any repair manual states....."Installation is the reversal of removal."

Russell
11-25-2006, 08:57 AM
in addition, The cables that hold speaker/electrical wires in position may be loose and rattling. Also the seat belt "triangle" if loose will rattle. The 3rd brakelight can also rattle if bolts are not tight. You could also use dynamat for noise isolation and supression.

GregW
11-25-2006, 02:45 PM
in addition, The cables that hold speaker/electrical wires in position may be loose and rattling. Also the seat belt "triangle" if loose will rattle. The 3rd brakelight can also rattle if bolts are not tight. You could also use dynamat for noise isolation and supression.

Russell,
Where are the bolts to the 3rd brakelight? Do you get to them from uner the deck or from the trunk. Also what is dynamat?
Thanks
Greg

Russell
11-25-2006, 03:13 PM
couple of bolts/screws that hold the brake light in position are exposed when the parcel shelf panel is removed.

Dynamat (or similar) is a sound proofing material used by the custom sound system people to reduce road noise and panel vibrations. Also used by the hot rod industry for the same reasons. Typically it is a rubber/plastic like substance covered by thin aluminum. Usually has an adhesive on one side and can be shaped to conform to body shape. Google it for detailed information and product sources. Good luck