PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure this Q. has been asked but Touring springs again

ricola
11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Before you start the blue flame special, I did a search and combed through lots of useless drivel on springs only to get tired of the search before I found the answer to my question.

Some of you may be, (hell I know you are) better than me at the search thing.

So, here's my curiosity. I have a Touring. The rear ride hieght is fine but the front is a little high.

Anyone try to install sedan front springs on a Touring to get a lower front stance?

Does anyone know if the springs are lighter or shorter or smaller in diameter?

I know where I can get a sedan spring set cheap that's why I ask.

jjw
11-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes, you can just change the front springs, but the car will not be balanced as the spring rate will be different. However with the spring for sedan in the back, the back end will probably sit lower than it suppose to without the SLS. I have SLS on my 92 touring and I have changed to H&R springs and adjusted the rear ride height, it came out sitting even leveled. The springs are the same size as for the sedan and touring.

ricola
11-25-2006, 12:46 AM
The springs are the same size as for the sedan and touring.

So if the springs are the same why do the spring company's list "except Touring" I'm confused. (what else is new):D

BTW: I don't have self leveling

jjw
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
If those springs are used on a touring without SLS, the rear camber will be way out of spec. and may cause unsafe handling issues. That's why the M5 and the touring has the overload warning when the rear is too low to the ground. Other than that, can't really think of other reason.

gtopaul
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
You can swap just the front springs no problem. I did just the fronts on my 92 525iT and left the back, with SLS, where it was. I like a little bit of nose down attitude. It looks fine and no handling problems. Now if you have a later model without the SLS I wouldn't change just the front because the rear spring rates will be too soft. I have a new pair of H&R rear springs for a Touring w/SLS I didn't use if anyone is interested.

Paul L

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/525023.jpg

brodee
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I put M5 springs under the front of the touring and left the rear alone. It had a "ladectomy" before I bought it and I think it has sedan springs on the rear already so that was down. The ride quality and handling is much improved now.

Here's pics after the springs.
http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3494.JPG

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3501.JPG

If you need some springs I have the original sport springs from my 540/6 that are about 1/2"-3/4" lower than stock.

ricola
11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Ya I want your front springs if they lower mine as low as yours! Your car Rocks! I think my rear is fine. The 15"s look almost tucked. The front is high though.

I'll send you a PM.