PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my intermittent Blower

Jehu
11-24-2006, 08:48 PM
So i've now noticed twice my heater A/C blower stops suddenly lately when i shut my drivers door as i am getting in.Its running>shut the door,ok slam it, > the blower cuts out. Can this tell anyone weather i need to replace the console controls, the blower motor or the black box(I don't have the sword!).

spinnakr
11-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Had a similar problem,,with my 92 525i,after disassembly, it turned out to be the brushes in the blower motor,,,worn badly. Apparently sometimes making contact and sometimes not...Try disassembling and checking the motor...

bbig119
11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
You won't have a sword, but it could be the resistor pack. I had intermittant blower problems which occurred when I tried to use any other blower speeds other than 4. I would get air(cold air since it was summer) for a short while then it would cut out for a couple minutes then come back again. Replacing this resistor pack fixed my problem. Sounds like your symptoms are a little different though.

Jehu
11-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I am just hoping i can begin with replacing the right part and not end up replacing everything. I have an eversion to buying used parts of this nature as if mine have failed i have every reason to expect a similarly aged replacement has every bit as much of a chance of failing .

gale
11-25-2006, 02:08 PM
You won't have a sword, but it could be the resistor pack. I had intermittant blower problems which occurred when I tried to use any other blower speeds other than 4. I would get air(cold air since it was summer) for a short while then it would cut out for a couple minutes then come back again. Replacing this resistor pack fixed my problem. Sounds like your symptoms are a little different though.

Forgive my ignorance since mine has a sword, but do resistor packs have an analogous connector portion that could be susceptible to bad/cold solder joints like swords sometimes suffer from? If so, then it would be a simple DIY to reflow the solder -- worth a try.

Jehu
11-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Is this resistor pack the black box down near where the sword in other models is fitted,where i pulled it out to changed my microfilter or is it the Blue unit that resembles a relay under the driver's dash above the gas pedal?

gale
11-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Is this resistor pack the black box down near where the sword in other models is fitted,where i pulled it out to changed my microfilter or is it the Blue unit that resembles a relay under the driver's dash above the gas pedal?

I'm guessing it's the black one. Have you checked Bruno's page?

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/sword.htm

Jehu
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Yah,I've checked the site.I know where that black control unit is ,i encountered it when changing the micro filter.The intermittent problem was present before i did that so i don't think i disturbed the connection there.I just thought mentioning that the blower shut off when i slammed my drivers door shut would ring a bell with someone and pinpoint the culprit.Obviously wishful thinking.. :)